Long exposure questions

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Waterengineer
Contributing MemberPosts: 844
Like?
Long exposure questions
11 months ago

I enjoy taking long exposures and am considering stacking a series of photos for star trails.

The way my camera is presently set up, it takes a period of time equal to the exposure duration to process the image.

What is the camera doing, taking a black screen shot?

Anyway, this time is obviously wasted when trying to take continuous shots for star trails without empty spaces in the trails.

What am I doing wrong.  Is there some settings I need to change to take back, to back, to back long exposures?

Also what ISO are you using?

I am using a D90 and a D7000.

I will thank you ahead of time.

- Craig

Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lbj1891
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Re: Long exposure questions
In reply to Waterengineer, 11 months ago

I can't help you. Sorry. But, if you can't find what you need here, try the astrophotography forum. They should be able to shine some light on this matter.

-- hide signature --

Originally posted by brianj-
"As to why we come here, I have no idea, the forums are just a shadow of their old selves, in fact the Beginners Forum should be renamed into 'What camera should I buy' forum.
Anyway it keeps a lot of people off the streets and that is a good thing."
Anonymous-- "I'll be glad to discuss composition with you. As it is those "special moments" you record remind me of bowel movements."

lbj1891's gear list:lbj1891's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mohammad AlLawati
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?

I think you need to shoot at least ISO 640 for astrophotography at least so you can pick up the light small stars emit.
--
Nikon D7100
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX
Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6

Mohammad AlLawati's gear list:Mohammad AlLawati's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Chris Gagnon
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?

Turn off long exposure noise reduction in the menu. It takes the same amount of time as the exposure to clean the image.

Same job can be done after in post if you need and your camera will be much faster

Chris Gagnon's gear list:Chris Gagnon's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Mohammad AlLawati
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris Gagnon, 11 months ago

Turn off long exposure noise reduction in the menu. It takes the same amount of time as the exposure to clean the image.

Same job can be done after in post if you need and your camera will be much faster

Oh yeah! True!
Yes as Chris said!
--
Nikon D7100
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX
Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6

Mohammad AlLawati's gear list:Mohammad AlLawati's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Waterengineer
Contributing MemberPosts: 844
Like?
In reply to Chris Gagnon, 11 months ago

Chris Gagnon wrote:

Thanks.  The exact answer I was looking for.  Again, thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads