First XF1 photos

Started 11 months ago | Photos
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,131
Like?
Re: XF1 photos...You Might Find The Following Great Posting At Amazon Very Helpful.........
In reply to DS21, 11 months ago

DS21 wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Only Fuji is dumping to Costco, not others...

Definitely....only Fuji....COSTCO has a special deal only for Fuji...No other company...Definitely...

Yes, HS-30 even for $250 was on the Costco shelves forewer, such is the premium product...

Exactly. COSTCO always has large quantities available to sell. That is exactly how they can price items so low. They must have had a large quantity of the HS -30 just they have large quantities of other cameras availble and why you see the same camera models available from many different companies for quite some time at COSTCO.

That is the way COSTCO always operates so successfully.

I see that now you understand how COSTCO operates and that it is not a fire sale as you first thought.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,559Gear list
Like?
Re: XF1 photos...You Might Find The Following Great Posting At Amazon Very Helpful.........
In reply to jimr, 11 months ago

DS21 wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Definitely....only Fuji....COSTCO has a special deal only for Fuji...No other company...Definitely...

Yes, HS-30 even for $250 was on the Costco shelves forewer, such is the premium product...

Exactly. COSTCO always has large quantities available to sell. That is exactly how they can price items so low. They must have had a large quantity of the HS -30 just they have large quantities of other cameras availble and why you see the same camera models available from many different companies for quite some time at COSTCO.

That is the way COSTCO always operates so successfully.

I see that now you understand how COSTCO operates and that it is not a fire sale as you first thought.

Large quantities at the.end of the model run, and 60% off list price. I think I know pretty well how Costco operates with Fuji. But I bet they had so many returns (bad default settings), they will dump Fuji completely very soon.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
footerer
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

The part about fully manual control of shutter speed and appature is a bit disingenuous. There are restrictions that nobble this camera. This was the reason I had to sell mine to part fund my new Sony RX100. Pity, as I loved the feel of the camera and the jpeg colours.

Tim39
Senior MemberPosts: 2,862
Like?
JMR

jimr wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Since he can't grasp today's realities, some might consider his projections of the future to be worthless. I feel that's a bit harsh; they do have a certain entertainment value.

-- hide signature --

Tim

prime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,491
Like?
Re: First XF1 photos
In reply to Wellington100, 11 months ago

Wellington100 wrote:

I am a slacker and I PP everything in iPhoto because I shoot a lot of jpegs and iPhoto is simple and speedy and gets me much of the way there with PP.

I do it all by eye in iPhoto. I trust my eyes more than the numbers and the graphs and these days I have an idea of how i want the image to end up looking because I have done so many by eye with iPhoto now.

DOS Tip!  (or OSX Tip)  At least in the United States of America, Aperture3 is available now for US$79.99 from iTunes/App Store.

Strictly as a photo editor, Aperture is a superset (a super-superset) of iPhoto; and, as a DAM (digital asset manager), also known as an image database manager, it is far superior to iPhoto.  Best of all, you can integrate your iPhoto libraries directly into Aperture, including your edits so far:  there is no penalty for iPhoto users migratng to Aperture.

DS21
Like?
Re: JMR
In reply to Tim39, 11 months ago

Tim39 wrote:

jimr wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Since he can't grasp today's realities, some might consider his projections of the future to be worthless. I feel that's a bit harsh; they do have a certain entertainment value.

-- hide signature --

Tim

When this forum drops to a couple of posts a day, and all about X cameras, some fanboys will eventually wake up and smell the coffee.

Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Lloydy
Forum ProPosts: 18,802Gear list
Like?
Wellington ...

Wellington100 wrote:

Lloydy wrote:

... Congratulations.

Try these settings :

Program (P) mode, large (L) size, 4:3, Fine, Raw+Jpeg, DR 200%, ISO 800 (Auto), Astia, Highlight Tone - Medium Soft, Shadow Tone - Medium Soft, Noise Reduction - Medium Low, minus 0.33 EV, Photometry - Average, AF Tracking.

I get clear, colourful, consistent, crisp results in all conditions.

Do not shoot the XF1 at medium (M) size.

Have a look at my recent Chinatown images - XF1 Chinatown

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

Thank you so much for the input Dave, I am resetting the camera as I write this. I will have a go at it tomorrow if the clouds lift for a while.

I need to read the manual, because this camera has way more settings than my old F300. What do you do about the sharpening, I have it set to Medium soft? but my first batch of jpegs seem to lack in crispness even after a bit of a sharpen in iPhoto.

... I just leave the sharpening set at default. Give my settings a try. It took me a while to arrive at these but I find them excellent.

-- hide signature --

Doctors are bad for your lifestyle.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,723Gear list
Like?
In reply to cantanima, 11 months ago

cantanima wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

What I have noticed like you is that the airplane window bunchs the histogram like you say, takes away contrast, messes with the color, adds glare and who knows what else, so yes I do quite a lot to each of the airplane window images to try to get back some punch. I doubt that the images are technically accurate anymore. I do it all by eye in iPhoto. I trust my eyes more than the numbers and the graphs and these days I have an idea of how i want the image to end up looking because I have done so many by eye with iPhoto now.

I don't trust my eyes so much any more -- not because of my eyes, but because my computer monitor isn't very good. I knew my home monitor wasn't great, but I didn't realize just how bad it was until I later saw the pics on a high-quality TV (via Flickr app for Roku or hooking the camera up directly).

You may have a much better monitor than I, though.

I use a MacBook Pro and I an iMac. The Mac screens are excellent.

-- hide signature --

Wellington100
Like?
In reply to prime, 11 months ago

prime wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

I am a slacker and I PP everything in iPhoto because I shoot a lot of jpegs and iPhoto is simple and speedy and gets me much of the way there with PP.

I do it all by eye in iPhoto. I trust my eyes more than the numbers and the graphs and these days I have an idea of how i want the image to end up looking because I have done so many by eye with iPhoto now.

DOS Tip! (or OSX Tip) At least in the United States of America, Aperture3 is available now for US$79.99 from iTunes/App Store.

Strictly as a photo editor, Aperture is a superset (a super-superset) of iPhoto; and, as a DAM (digital asset manager), also known as an image database manager, it is far superior to iPhoto. Best of all, you can integrate your iPhoto libraries directly into Aperture, including your edits so far: there is no penalty for iPhoto users migratng to Aperture.

Yeah, I do know this, it is equally cheap here in the UK. I have upgraded to Mountain Lion which is version of the os you need for the shared iPhoto/Aperture library. All I have to do is buy the darn thing but you have inspired me to do it already. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Wellington100
Like?
Re: Wellington ...
In reply to Lloydy, 11 months ago

Lloydy wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

Lloydy wrote:

... Congratulations.

Try these settings :

Program (P) mode, large (L) size, 4:3, Fine, Raw+Jpeg, DR 200%, ISO 800 (Auto), Astia, Highlight Tone - Medium Soft, Shadow Tone - Medium Soft, Noise Reduction - Medium Low, minus 0.33 EV, Photometry - Average, AF Tracking.

I get clear, colourful, consistent, crisp results in all conditions.

Do not shoot the XF1 at medium (M) size.

Have a look at my recent Chinatown images - XF1 Chinatown

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

Thank you so much for the input Dave, I am resetting the camera as I write this. I will have a go at it tomorrow if the clouds lift for a while.

I need to read the manual, because this camera has way more settings than my old F300. What do you do about the sharpening, I have it set to Medium soft? but my first batch of jpegs seem to lack in crispness even after a bit of a sharpen in iPhoto.

... I just leave the sharpening set at default. Give my settings a try. It took me a while to arrive at these but I find them excellent.

Thanks again Dave, its all set up now, I never took it for a spin today but I will tomorrow and post up some shots ASAP. Cheers.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

-- hide signature --

jimr
Like?
Re: JMR..Yes His Postings Do Have An Entertainment Value....A Prophetic Vision As Well
In reply to Tim39, 11 months ago

Tim39 wrote:

jimr wrote:

DS21 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tim

DS21
Like?
Re: JMR..Yes His Postings Do Have An Entertainment Value....A Prophetic Vision As Well

jimr wrote:

Tim39 wrote:

jimr wrote:

DS21 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tim

Yours are not bad either, every forum needs its Papa Smurf.

jimr
Like?
DS21

I do not pretend to be a prophet nor do I pretend to know about any unique agreement between Fuji and COSTCO.

I do not sit in in their negotiations  as apparently you do. I do not know the return rate of Fuji cameras that apparently you do.

I do not pretend to know what cameras Fuji is planing to make  or not make next as apparently you do.

DS21
Like?
Re: DS21

jimr wrote:

I do not pretend to be a prophet nor do I pretend to know about any unique agreement between Fuji and COSTCO.

I do not sit in in their negotiations as apparently you do. I do not know the return rate of Fuji cameras that apparently you do.

I do not pretend to know what cameras Fuji is planing to make or not make next as apparently you do.

It is all very simple once you remove the fanboy goggles, you don't have to be privy to any inside information. All you have to do is know Fuji products and their release cycles and prices (and regularly visit or follow Costco camera section since you zero in on that), note which models get discontinued without the successor in sight, and know a little bit about the company (very predictable) business strategy. Also note the rapid expansion of X forum, shrinkage of this forum, 50% in yearly decline in non-premium compact camera sales, Fuji's lack of innovation and attention to F and HS lines (all goes to X products) and you would see the writing on the wall. You also need to have some brains (or open mind) to be able to process all this.

jimr
Like?

As you should know, the entire industry faces the identical situation in regards to low to middle end point and shoot cameras. Nothing unique to Fuji. Unfortunately your severe case of Fuj OCD is evident in your a comments about COSTCO and Fuji's unique dumping to COSTCO, Fuji's camera return rate and your speculative comments about Fuji's plans for future production. Your OCD as regards to Fuj to the exclusion of all other camera companies is entertaining. Please continue ... I will monitor your humorous comments but I will not bother to waste my time to respond as your Fuji confined OCD prevents you from being open minded and thoughtful. BTW the good news is that OCD is treatable.

DS21
Like?

jimr wrote:

As you should know, the entire industry faces the identical situation in regards to low to middle end point and shoot cameras. Nothing unique to Fuji. Unfortunately your severe case of Fuj OCD is evident in your a comments about COSTCO and Fuji's unique dumping to COSTCO, Fuji's camera return rate and your speculative comments about Fuji's plans for future production. Your OCD as regards to Fuj to the exclusion of all other camera companies is entertaining. Please continue ... I will monitor your humorous comments but I will not bother to waste my time to respond as your Fuji confined OCD prevents you from being open minded and thoughtful. BTW the good news is that OCD is treatable.

You don't even know what OCD is, you would not use the term "as regards to Fuji" if you really knew. Like every good old fanboy, when your ideal brand is criticized, you start with personal stuff. Unfortunately for you, lack of density in grey matter is hard to treat. Back to the topic, you never explained how come routine 60% off sales of Fuji cameras in Costco are not dumping of old, unsold product. The difference with other brands is, when Canon or Sony have dumping sales, their models were available from the beginning, at the normal price, and with reduced price they sell out fast. With Fuji, models become available only at the end, before new models are announced, they were not sold at normal price from the beginning of model run, and even with dumping prices it takes forever to sell them out.

CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,187
Like?

Did you get any shots that are directly comparable from the XF1 to the F300EXR? I remember something like this, but it seemed more zoomed in from the F300.

Wellington100 wrote

1st shot after inserting SD card

Over Southern China

jimr
Like?
Re: Wellington ...

Hi Wellington. Enjoy your new camera. May I ask how your new settings are working out?

Have great day!

Jim

The ongoing debate of M vs. L size is fascinating. I would love to know the answer ......

Wellington100
Like?
In reply to CAcreeks, 11 months ago

CAcreeks wrote:

Did you get any shots that are directly comparable from the XF1 to the F300EXR? I remember something like this, but it seemed more zoomed in from the F300.

Wellington100 wrote

1st shot after inserting SD card

Over Southern China

No I never got any direct comparisons. I am not very good at doing those, because there are so many variables to nail down.

My F300 has been bulletproof from day 1. I have still not given the XF1 a decent go. I really need to get it into a scenic setting.

-- hide signature --

Wellington100
Like?
Re: A bakers dozen of new XF1 photos

I intended to shoot with both Dave and Kim's settings so I attempted to set these to C1 and C2,  I don't if these are the equivalent of P mode.  I ended up confusing the heck out myself with all the settings because some settings changed universally whilst others did not.

In the end it did not matter to me because the underlying IQ is definitely there for my criteria, which are good DR, good Fuji colours, good sharpness and the bonus is minimal PP of the jpegs needed. The f1.8 is fantastic to have as well. All in all the images are a big step up from my F300 I would say.

3 shots from Sundays cycle race around London

The consequences of the race on an adjacent roads

2 from Leicester square, there are always heaps of people in the West End on a Sunday

Down by the river

The official bird shot, there is a sign calling Pigeons "vermin" not to be fed.

Beautiful animals and they all belong to the Queen apparently

First flower shots, wow Fuji colours are so good

Where are the leaves, its mid summer?

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads