The 3Ms and how they travel

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 872Gear list
Like?
The 3Ms and how they travel
11 months ago

My 3 Ms. Different colors for easy identification.

I put them in an old Sony camcorder bag about the size of a loaf of bread.

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
Hunt Consulting
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?
Re: The 3Ms and how they travel
In reply to EvokeEmotion, 11 months ago

EvokeEmotion wrote:

Nice!

Hunt Consulting's gear list:Hunt Consulting's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,644Gear list
Like?
How ironic

EvokeEmotion wrote:

In another thread you made fun of people pimping out their M's, and stating that you prefer the minimalist approach of the M. Yet, you are toting around three bodies, each with its own lens, for a total camera/lens weight of more than 3 lbs. (50.4 oz.). But wait, I forgot. With that 3 pounds of gear, you can cover the astounding focal range of 11-55mm. And only in ambient light, because you don't have a flash in the bag. Any Rebel, and many higher models, would at least have a built-in flash, usable for fill purposes. Yeah, this is a minimalist approach for sure.

Steve

UCSB
Contributing MemberPosts: 755Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hunt Consulting, 11 months ago

Pretty cool ... you do know the lenses are removable ... hahaha ... just kidding.

-- hide signature --

> Bill.

UCSB's gear list:UCSB's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +18 more
EvokeEmotion
Like?
Re: How ironic
In reply to Digital Shutterbug, 11 months ago

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

In another thread you made fun of people pimping out their M's, and stating that you prefer the minimalist approach of the M. Yet, you are toting around three bodies, each with its own lens, for a total camera/lens weight of more than 3 lbs. (50.4 oz.). But wait, I forgot. With that 3 pounds of gear, you can cover the astounding focal range of 11-55mm. And only in ambient light, because you don't have a flash in the bag. Any Rebel, and many higher models, would at least have a built-in flash, usable for fill purposes. Yeah, this is a minimalist approach for sure.

Steve

First of all, I didn't make fun of anyone. I wondered aloud why people add all kinds of accessories to the M, making a small camera much bigger and wondered if it's better off to just get a 100D/SL1. Some agree with me, others don't. That's all in good fun but maybe your feeling's hurt, I don't know what's your deal.

You'll notice I don't add anything to each of my individual cameras. This is my entire M system that I can carry with me to my travel destination. While there, I have smaller, individual bags that I put just one or two of them in, and travel lighter.

You are right, I don't have flash. My two other cameras are the 5D and the 5D2. They don't have flash either. That's the way I like it. I may not use flash, but I use any combinations of tripod, high ISO and IS to get the pictures I want.

I prefer to shoot wide. Mostly landscapes, mostly with tripod, mostly at f/8 or smaller. That's why 55mm is plenty long enough for me. When I'm hiking up a mountain, all I need is my M+11-22. When I'm having dinner outside, all I bring is my M+22. I pick and choose which of the 3 Ms I take with me at any one time. This is my minimalist approach.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
EvokeEmotion
Like?
In reply to UCSB, 11 months ago

UCSB wrote:

Pretty cool ... you do know the lenses are removable ... hahaha ... just kidding.

-- hide signature --

> Bill.

I bought the M+18-55+90EX, sell off the lens and flash, and each M body costs me about $120. Well worth it so I don't have to fumble with changing lenses.

smallrewards
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?

I am sorry, but this is not minimalist. For all the money spent here, other options would have offered very valuable advantages. Its kind of cool, but not minimalist.

EvokeEmotion
Like?

If I came across as making fun of people pimping out their Ms, I apologize. Didn't mean it like that.

I am sure I am getting laughed at for having 3 Ms. What can I say?

EvokeEmotion
Like?
In reply to smallrewards, 11 months ago

I am sorry, but this is not minimalist. For all the money spent here, other options would have offered very valuable advantages. Its kind of cool, but not minimalist.

So what is minimalist? Each person owning one body and a superzoom, that's all?

I have a grand total of 5 bodies and 8 lenses, but I never travel with all of them. Usually just 1 body and 1 or 2 lenses at one time when out shooting. I may bring 2 bodies and 3 lenses to the hotel though. The only reason I have 3 bodies and 3 lenses here is that they are small enough to allow me to do so.

Dedcakes
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?

So what is minimalist? Each person owning one body and a superzoom, that's all?

I have a grand total of 5 bodies and 8 lenses, but I never travel with all of them. Usually just 1 body and 1 or 2 lenses at one time when out shooting. I may bring 2 bodies and 3 lenses to the hotel though. The only reason I have 3 bodies and 3 lenses here is that they are small enough to allow me to do so.

The point of the M, as mentioned in the pimping thread, was for a compact system. Yet, you're carrying a loaf of bread around because changing lenses isn't easy enough. Since you pick and choose the body at your hotel room, and not on location, is there really that much pressure to change/fumble a lens?

Now all I need to see the travel photog who only carries a pelican case with 3 5ds, and a 70-200, 40, and 17-40.

Dedcakes's gear list:Dedcakes's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm FinePix X100 +10 more
smallrewards
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?

you are obviously more successfully than I, so I won't laugh too long. Also, I never raised the minimalist point. I am just saying this is not minimalist, and the investment might have been better spent on one of several options at that price point.

I have said it before , but will say it again. I bought this for four main reasons.

price

flange distance (price of good glass)

22mm f2 lens

hot shoe.

I can do so much more with these features than anything else I can afford. Show me a bigger camera with all of that, I will drop the m in a heartbeat.

I am not minimalist,most of the time I shoot I bring my Zeiss 35mm 2.4 ,fdn 100mm f2 the 50mm 1.4, speedlight 199a, but this 22mm f2 is much better than any 200-300 dollar legacy glass, or anything else comparable in price on other systems.

I got m0y old lenses super cheap, the flash for free, and am beginning to get some very good photos now. The minimalistmoption is just an added bonus mostly for my wife.

I care about quality first, which requires good glass, hunting for deals, and usually manual focus. I do think you could have got a better deal, but it would be close, and would probably be a bit more yet, but not much and have had some more tangible benefits than saving lens changing time... but you must have enough bank it really doesn't matter. And really, you still got a great deal, the extra cameras is a bit silly though

edit:

unless you have multiple shooters?

EvokeEmotion
Like?

you are obviously more successfully than I, so I won't laugh too long. Also, I never raised the minimalist point. I am just saying this is not minimalist, and the investment might have been better spent on one of several options at that price point.

I have said it before , but will say it again. I bought this for four main reasons.

price

flange distance (price of good glass)

22mm f2 lens

hot shoe.

I can do so much more with these features than anything else I can afford. Show me a bigger camera with all of that, I will drop the m in a heartbeat.

I am not minimalist,most of the time I shoot I bring my Zeiss 35mm 2.4 ,fdn 100mm f2 the 50mm 1.4, speedlight 199a, but this 22mm f2 is much better than any 200-300 dollar legacy glass, or anything else comparable in price on other systems.

I got m0y old lenses super cheap, the flash for free, and am beginning to get some very good photos now. The minimalistmoption is just an added bonus mostly for my wife.

I care about quality first, which requires good glass, hunting for deals, and usually manual focus. I do think you could have got a better deal, but it would be close, and would probably be a bit more yet, but not much and have had some more tangible benefits than saving lens changing time... but you must have enough bank it really doesn't matter. And really, you still got a great deal, the extra cameras is a bit silly though

edit:

unless you have multiple shooters?

Quite a few on this forum have all 3 M lenses. Some bought 2 M bodies. All I have here are two extra bodies costing me $240. Does that mean I'm rich? Not at all.

EvokeEmotion
Like?
In reply to Dedcakes, 11 months ago

I said a compact CAMERA in that thread, not a compact SYSTEM.

EvokeEmotion
Like?

Carrying 3 1D or 5Ds with big L lenses is silly. These are little cameras and little lenses. Each camera costs me $120.

Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,064
Like?
In reply to Hunt Consulting, 11 months ago

I thought we'd see some Scotch tape in this thread

That bag seems perfect.

Seems good to me. No lens changes when out-and-about (worth it for that alone, in my opinion). Different colours. Not heavy considering the convenience you have if you have to lug out all three (compared to a DSLR).

Mr Grinch
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?

EvokeEmotion wrote:

If I came across as making fun of people pimping out their Ms, I apologize. Didn't mean it like that.

It may not be minimalist, but it sure is cool!

I bought a total of Three M's also, but two were given as gifts.

Dames01
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to Mr Grinch, 11 months ago

Mr Grinch wrote:

EvokeEmotion wrote:

I don't see what is cool about carrying three cameras in a bag which is much too big for them so that in the end the user moves the one camera he wants to use into another smaller bag...

HaroldC3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080Gear list
Like?

Getting a 2nd and 3rd body for extremely cheap should not be frowned up.  I would have done the same thing had I found it necessary but in the end I will wait until the next gen models come out and use my current M as a backup.

I think it's already be made clear why some people are reacting the way they are.  I think in the end every person has their reasons.

Mr Grinch
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
In reply to Dames01, 11 months ago

Dames01 wrote:

Mr Grinch wrote:

EvokeEmotion wrote:

I don't see what is cool about carrying three cameras in a bag which is much too big for them so that in the end the user moves the one camera he wants to use into another smaller bag...

Lighten up Francis.

Camera so good yet so cheap that you can buy three of them is cool. I did just that,  and gave two away with both US lenses included.  He's got two backup bodies and batteries. Cool.

EvokeEmotion
Like?
In reply to Dames01, 11 months ago

Dames01 wrote:

Mr Grinch wrote:

EvokeEmotion wrote:

The cameras barely fit into the bag, except that there's some spare height, but I'm not about to pack my camera gear like sardines, with lenses rubbing against bodies, etc.

I don't see what's wrong with how I move and use my gear. I bring multiple bodies and lenses to the hotel/motel I'm staying in, then depending on whether I'm hiking up a mountain or going to dinner in town, I take just one body/lens appropriate for the occasion and put it in a smaller bag and travel lighter.

Sounds like you'd bring your entire backpack of two pro bodies and 5 L lenses to the steakhouse for dinner. Maybe that's your definition of cool.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads