Nikkor 80-200 2.8 ED AF-D

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Nikkor 80-200 2.8 ED AF-D
11 months ago

My first outing today with this lens. Wow, this is a lovely lens. My copy is sharp as a tack at all focal lengths, even at 200mm f 2.8.

Focusing with my D300 is spot on and very fast.

The racing pics above are from the RAW, no adjustment at all for colors or sharpness. Only two adjustments are a little fill light and slight crop. Nothing else whatsoever.

The other two pics were taken as test shots at 200mm 2.8, focus on antenna in one and on lookout box in other. No adjustment whatsoever from RAW.

Last B&W shot is cropped and Silver Efex, I did no other adjustments, great subject isolation it gives.

Only thing is now.......too easy to get sharp photos with this without PP...it sets a new standard for me...so I am going to get even more picky now about any more lenses to match this one....

Definitely worth the money, fantastic lens.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Diego Zamberlan
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikkor 80-200 2.8 ED AF-D
In reply to Bajerunner, 11 months ago

Nice shots! Enjoy the lens.

Diego Zamberlan's gear list:Diego Zamberlan's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,616Gear list
Like?

I'm glad you got yours and you're pleased with it.  Enjoy!!!!!

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +12 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to jimoyer, 11 months ago

jimoyer wrote:

I'm glad you got yours and you're pleased with it. Enjoy!!!!!

Thanks and thanks for the encouragement and examples from yours!

-- hide signature --

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Diego Zamberlan, 11 months ago

Diego Zamberlan wrote:

Nice shots! Enjoy the lens.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?

Bajerunner wrote:

My first outing today with this lens. Wow, this is a lovely lens. My copy is sharp as a tack at all focal lengths, even at 200mm f 2.8.

It is a great lens!

The racing pics above are from the RAW, no adjustment at all for colors or sharpness. Only two adjustments are a little fill light and slight crop. Nothing else whatsoever.

These came out really well, especially with the sun overhead; second horse is particularly good.

Last B&W shot is cropped and Silver Efex, I did no other adjustments, great subject isolation it gives.

Love this B&W Lots of atmosphere.

Only thing is now.......too easy to get sharp photos with this without PP...it sets a new standard for me...so I am going to get even more picky now about any more lenses to match this one.... ;-

This is a lovely lens that is also very versatile.

I wonder if it will capture some of that white sand and blue sea I miss so much!

John

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Cytokine, 11 months ago

Cytokine wrote:

Bajerunner wrote:

It is a great lens!

These came out really well, especially with the sun overhead; second horse is particularly good.

Thnaks

Love this B&W Lots of atmosphere.

Thanks.

Only thing is now.......too easy to get sharp photos with this without PP...it sets a new standard for me...so I am going to get even more picky now about any more lenses to match this one.... ;-

This is a lovely lens that is also very versatile.

I wonder if it will capture some of that white sand and blue sea I miss so much!

Lol... at some point will do. Did you live here?

John

-- hide signature --

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Nikkor 80-200 2.8 ED AF-D A few with processing

A few more racing photos, after processing etc.... all with the 80-200 2.8. Some are crops.

-- hide signature --

bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 886Gear list
Like?

Were those images taken in the Caribbean? We visited the racetrack in Port of Spain, Trinidad and it looked just like your setting.

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to bravozulu, 11 months ago

bravozulu wrote:

Were those images taken in the Caribbean? We visited the racetrack in Port of Spain, Trinidad and it looked just like your setting.

Hi Bravo,

Yes, although this is the track in Barbados, the Barbados Turf Club, at the Garrison Savannah.

Both the Trinidad and Barbados Turf Clubs are quite old, going well before I was born. I have grown up with stories of renowned horses in the Caribbean, much rivalry between Barbados and Trinidad.

The Trinidad racing was traditionally at Queens Park track in Port of Spain and also at Arima. Then somewhere around the 80's and 90's they consolidated racing there to one track.

The setting would seem quite similar, although Trinidad is much more tropical rainforest by climate than we are, we are more tropical island, I think that explains the difference? Trinidad obviously being much closer to the South American mainland. Also they have more tropical types wildlife, more snakes (like the dreaded and deadly Coral snake). We mostly have Green Monkeys, mongoose, small grass snakes, centipedes, millipedes, frogs, snalis and the usual plethora of rats and mice. Not too much else natural ground species (obviously some birds).

-- hide signature --

bravozulu
Like?

I suspected the location. My wife's mother was raised in Trinidad, so we visited there 3 times. I love the Caribbean, and especially the taste of Callaloo Soup. There is no way to get that here in California.

Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?

Bajeunner,

Fabulous horse & racing photos!

Are the horses a special breed? I don't know much about horses but some look as if they have some Arab in them.

I was born in the west Indies living in St.Lucia, Antigua and finally Barbados as a 5-8 year old spent most of my time on the Beach near Sandy Lane Hotel. The best days of my life in retrospect.

John

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

bravozulu wrote:

I suspected the location. My wife's mother was raised in Trinidad, so we visited there 3 times. I love the Caribbean, and especially the taste of Callaloo Soup. There is no way to get that here in California.

Ah, wonderful. Yes, all over the world one may find a Caribbean connection somewhere. My wife's mother was born and raised in Trinidad also. Actually, I had two sisters born in Trinidad, as my father worked for the now defunct West Indies Federation (an attempt to unite the West Indies as one 'governed nation') in the 1960's.

Yes, Callaloo is the national dish of T&T as you must know. Barbados's national dish is flying fish and coucou (coucou is a sort of pudding mix of okras and corn meal, or okras and breadfruit).

-- hide signature --

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Cytokine, 11 months ago

Cytokine wrote:

Bajeunner,

Fabulous horse & racing photos!

Thanks!

Are the horses a special breed? I don't know much about horses but some look as if they have some Arab in them.

Thoroughbred, not different than all official racehorses. But, most thoroughbreds were derived initially anyway from three Arabian stallions only remember one off the top of my head, the Darley Arabian. Quite an interesting story from what I remember, I think that one was imported to England for breeding after being found pulling a cart in France. And is one of the great ancestors of thoroughbreds worldwide.

I was born in the west Indies living in St.Lucia, Antigua and finally Barbados as a 5-8 year old spent most of my time on the Beach near Sandy Lane Hotel. The best days of my life in retrospect.

John

Lovely. Three beautiful islands each with different character. Incidentally, Sandy Lane Hotel, still a pinnacle of high quality hotel life, is owned now by three Irishmen, each of whom has horseracing connections. Mr.Smith, Mr.Magnier and Mr.Tabor.

Sandy Lane Hotel annually sponsors a Barbados Gold Cup, a race with much fanfare and 'glory' for the winner, here in Barbados, run over 1800 metres.

I have some pictures from that race for this year, which was run in March, here, if you are interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68347113@N04/sets/72157632917520246/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68347113@N04/sets/72157632917475490/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68347113@N04/sets/72157632913344859/

Cheers, and take care.

-- hide signature --

bravozulu
Like?

I have visited and stayed on 14 Islands in the W.I. I remember keenly the King Fish and Callalou. I had them in Trinidad but also in Jamaica. And I really loved a variety of local dishes in Martinique. I guess because of the French tradition.

My wife's grandfather was a Spaniard. He emigrated to Cuba, then to America and finally settled in Port of Spain. He was an architect by trade and designed the entire Quay by the harbor. As well as the Queen's Park Hotel and the Royal Bank of Canada. He was commissioned by the latter to build branch banks in a number of the islands in those parts.

I recall keenly standing on the lawn of Queen's Park on New Year's eve. The 101-piece Pan Am Band was playing Beethoven's 9th Symphony on 'pans'. . It was a tremendously moving experience I'll never forget,

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

bravozulu wrote:

I have visited and stayed on 14 Islands in the W.I. I remember keenly the King Fish and Callalou. I had them in Trinidad but also in Jamaica. And I really loved a variety of local dishes in Martinique. I guess because of the French tradition.

My wife's grandfather was a Spaniard. He emigrated to Cuba, then to America and finally settled in Port of Spain. He was an architect by trade and designed the entire Quay by the harbor. As well as the Queen's Park Hotel and the Royal Bank of Canada. He was commissioned by the latter to build branch banks in a number of the islands in those parts.

I recall keenly standing on the lawn of Queen's Park on New Year's eve. The 101-piece Pan Am Band was playing Beethoven's 9th Symphony on 'pans'. . It was a tremendously moving experience I'll never forget,

Wow, fascinating and wonderful story. I have heard of the Queens Park Hotel, never been there. Yes, steelpan is indeed very light and soulful, I can imagine how that must have sounded, in the night on such a 'grand' occasion. Wow.

Actually, my wife's grandfather was Cameroon born I think of German and Cameroon ancestry (his father was German and mother Cameroonian), British, came to Trinidad and ran a business in San Fernando.  He married an East Indian girl and settled.

My own great grandfather was a Welsh doctor who settled in Barbados. I never knew him, died before I was born, but I knew my grandfather. My father has always been fond of classical music, probably gained that from my grandfather, who was a church organist, I understand he studied music in Boston. So I do appreciate your reference to Beethoven's 9th.

-- hide signature --

PRW_Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 667
Like?

Just curious, push-pull or 2-ring?

Great shots, I love mine, and it does make you more picky about your lenses.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to PRW_Photo, 11 months ago

PRW_Photo wrote:

Just curious, push-pull or 2-ring?

Great shots, I love mine, and it does make you more picky about your lenses.

Hi, this is the 2 ring. Thanks.

I have seen so many wonderful, wonderful images form both 2 ring and push pull that inspired me to get this and am not disappointed.

Truth be told, even the few short days I have had this, I am now seriously wondering about what 'wide-normal' zoom I shall get, I was planning to get one for events and general shooting.

Since I got this, I am now thinking more seriously about spending the extra dollars for something 'tops'. The Tamron 17-50 2.8 was top of my list, many great images from that around the web photo sites, but now wondering if the extra on either the Nikkor 17-55 2.8 (which can be had used for around 850 ) or the new Sigma 18-35 1.8 (selling for 800) will be worth it.

I am eager to see the coming photos from users of the 18-35 on pbase and flickr, to see what the images look like. Even if they are post processed a bit, to me, that is the most 'feel' on can get for a lens, images from multiple users.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads