Magic Lantern

Started Aug 1, 2013 | Questions
RoyHenry
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Magic Lantern
Aug 1, 2013

How many members are using (or have used) Magic Lantern? and how many members are pleased with the results or not pleased.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Hemidart
Senior MemberPosts: 1,939
Like?
Re: Magic Lantern
In reply to RoyHenry, Aug 1, 2013

RoyHenry wrote:

How many members are using (or have used) Magic Lantern? and how many members are pleased with the results or not pleased.

I use it on my 5D Mk I......adds some nice features, and since it runs off the card and does not make any changes to the camera, seems pretty safe to use.

-- hide signature --

Proud owner of the Canon 5D MkI Classic.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,953Gear list
Like?

The only problem I've had is it does so much it's a bit intimidating.

I've used it for the intervalometer, but haven't taken advantage of a lot of the features I thought I would (trap focus, bracketing). I'm not really a video person - for which I would imagine this stuff would be invaluable.

A lot of my issue is because there's not a manual I can just sit down and go through - I'm sort of old school that way. It's a matter of going through the online list (GREATLY improved as of late) to find a feature, and then figuring out how it works.

Now I've gotten a 6D, and never really took advantage of it with my 60D - which I should probably rectify!

As far as using it - it resides on the memory card - and loads it if you want it to. Otherwise, your camera is the same old camera it always was. A lot of folks think it replaces the firmware of the camera which it doesn't. It doesn't take much space on the card either - so you can put it on just one memory card or all of them.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
The Solo Texan
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?

I've used it on my t2i and it was amazing. I had trouble locating a 6d version. I figured there wasn't one. Has that changed?

victorian squid
Like?
No 6D version yet (maybe right after the 5D mkiii?) N/T
In reply to The Solo Texan, Aug 1, 2013
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
krebss
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
In reply to RoyHenry, Aug 2, 2013

Using it on 600D for bracketing, long exposures and timelapses and have been mostly pleased with it.

I often get frustrated when it's not doing what I'm trying to do or when function don't start or start automatically and can't cancel them easily (have to power the camera off), but that could well be a user issue and maybe I should read the instruction properly again and again.

AlterHase
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, Aug 2, 2013

victorian squid wrote:

A lot of my issue is because there's not a manual I can just sit down and go through - I'm sort of old school that way. It's a matter of going through the online list (GREATLY improved as of late) to find a feature, and then figuring out how it works.

If you print out the content of http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide you're pretty close to the old manual - you just miss the benefit of the embedded videos.

I figure you know this page, I'm just providing the link to avoid the notion that there is "no manual".

AlterHase's gear list:AlterHase's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +10 more
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,888Gear list
Like?

RoyHenry wrote:

I installed ML "on a 5D2" in order to obtain extended bracketing. (The quotations were used because the ML program is actually installed on your CF card.) ML only brackets 1/2 stops and I needed 1/3 stops. None of their pre-install documentation mentions the actual bracket increments. You find out by installing the software. I didn't explore any of the other features so I cannot say how well documented these are. My gut feeling is that ML needs a technical writer and one of their fanbois has got to be one and would probably donate his/her time to the cause.

For tech support, one is referred to a forum where I asked if I was either missing something or if not, were there future plans to include 1/3 stops in a later incarnation. I got guff from a couple fanboi users who were really quite -ill-informed about photography in general but no one "official" seemed motivated enough to respond though they were responding to other questions in the same time frame. The experience went downhill from there.

When I noted that the forum was supposed to be a tech support resource and I thought it bad form for a company officials to pick and choose who they rersponded to, this drew out two company people, the programmer and another guy, both of whom were quite defensive. Of course, their big salvo was asking me if I wanted my money refunded? (ha ha Get it? It's free software.) I had made a donation when I downloaded the file but that was neither here nor there.

I offered to pay for the costs of programming the 1/3 stops (had to be cheaper than buying a 5D3 right?) and I had to ask the question again because they did not respond on the first attempt. The programmer finally said something about the difficulty of doing this. Okay, was this so hard?

Point is, sporadic help is available, but may require confrontation with either fanbois or the company owners who seem over-sensitive.

This is not why I removed the software. I removed the software because it will lock up your camera if the normal shut down sequence is not followed before removing a CF card. You have to pull your battery to get things restarted. Sometimes, I will remove a card without shutting down first. Okay, I am a bad boy occasionally. At least when running on Canon's firmware, lock-ups under these circumstances don't happen. It might help here to re-mention that the ML software is loaded onto the CF card.

Since the feature that drew me to ML was not exactly what I wanted and I wasn't using it, there seemed little reason to put up with the lock-up annoyance.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
RedYeti
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?

RoyHenry wrote:

I use it all the time on my 5Dmk3, in fact I've become quite dependent on it and would really miss it not being there. In particular the raw histogram is fantastic, as is the auto-ETTR and the improved mirror-lockup + timer. Auto-bracketing is great too on the odd occasion I want to bracket. I've experimented with virtually all the features and use a fair few of them on a semi-regular basis. Yes there is the odd minor glitch or lock-up, but nothing that's ever caused a problem for me.

Having said that, I'm a computer programmer by trade and love fiddling with this sort of stuff as a hobby. I don't know that I'd risk using ML if I was say a wedding photographer!

RedYeti's gear list:RedYeti's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
rndman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedYeti, Aug 2, 2013

RedYeti wrote:

RoyHenry wrote:

I use it all the time on my 5Dmk3, in fact I've become quite dependent on it and would really miss it not being there. In particular the raw histogram is fantastic, as is the auto-ETTR and the improved mirror-lockup + timer. Auto-bracketing is great too on the odd occasion I want to bracket. I've experimented with virtually all the features and use a fair few of them on a semi-regular basis. Yes there is the odd minor glitch or lock-up, but nothing that's ever caused a problem for me.

Having said that, I'm a computer programmer by trade and love fiddling with this sort of stuff as a hobby. I don't know that I'd risk using ML if I was say a wedding photographer!

Are you using one of the nightly builds?

There is no official (even beta)relased for 5dm3, so wondering..

rndman's gear list:rndman's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Aspherical Fisheye
CalBoy87
Contributing MemberPosts: 720Gear list
Like?

I used in on 5DM2 and now nightly builds on 5DM3. For me best features are focus peaking (can see on LCD where the focus was without zooming). Many others are useful, ETTR, RAW video, now there is increased DR with 100/1600 ISO dual shooting, but haven't tried it yet. I hope that some day Canon will put all this in regular firmware and make super-duper camera, but I know is a dream only.

CalBoy87
Like?
Re: No 6D version yet (maybe right after the 5D mkiii?) N/T

I saw few nightly builds for 6D, I am using same for 5DM3 with no problems so far.

RoyHenry
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?

Hi, thanks for the replies. Have installed ML and now the fun starts. Take care all. Roy.

victorian squid
Like?
In reply to CalBoy87, Aug 2, 2013

CalBoy87 wrote:

I saw few nightly builds for 6D, I am using same for 5DM3 with no problems so far.

I'm not sure what you mean by "nightly", are you using the alpha release for your 5Dmk3?

Or is there a secret download page I'm missing?

hesbehindyou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580
Like?

RoyHenry wrote:

Used it for a while now, pleased as pleased can be.

CalBoy87
Like?

victorian squid wrote:

CalBoy87 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "nightly", are you using the alpha release for your 5Dmk3?

Or is there a secret download page I'm missing?

There is topic on the forum: nightly builds with RAW recording:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6362.0

Here you can find all nightly builds for Canon cameras. Just download the firmware to SD/CF, make it bootable by using EOSCard program and you are good to go. I use those builds with 5DM3 for a while. Although sometimes it does freeze camera, 95% of the time all is fine.

hesbehindyou
Like?
Manual for Magic Lantern
In reply to AlterHase, Aug 2, 2013

AlterHase wrote:

victorian squid wrote:

If you print out the content of http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide you're pretty close to the old manual - you just miss the benefit of the embedded videos.

I figure you know this page, I'm just providing the link to avoid the notion that there is "no manual".

As well as the http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide you mentioned there is also the in-camera help - think it's either Info or Display that brings it up.

hesbehindyou
Like?
In reply to Rick Knepper, Aug 2, 2013

Rick Knepper wrote:

When I noted that the forum was supposed to be a tech support resource and I thought it bad form for a company officials to pick and choose who they rersponded to, this drew out two company people, the programmer and another guy, both of whom were quite defensive. Of course, their big salvo was asking me if I wanted my money refunded? (ha ha Get it? It's free software.) I had made a donation when I downloaded the file but that was neither here nor there.

Point is, sporadic help is available, but may require confrontation with either fanbois or the company owners who seem over-sensitive.

Company officials? Owners? These do not exist. There is no company. There are no paid staff. There are no staff! It's all done by regular people that do it in their spare time.

And fanbois ? Glad you didn't get help.

paparios
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?
In reply to RoyHenry, Aug 3, 2013

RoyHenry wrote:

Magic Lantern is a fantastic software for my 50D. With it my 50D got full HD video capability and it is great.

Miguel

paparios's gear list:paparios's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +13 more
RedYeti
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
In reply to rndman, Aug 7, 2013

rndman wrote:

Are you using one of the nightly builds?

There is no official (even beta)relased for 5dm3, so wondering..

I've been keeping an eye on the commits (https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/all/) and making my own builds whenever something worthwhile shows up. However there are regularly updated 5D3 builds posted here if you're after a fairly recent version: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6362.msg49481#msg49481

-- hide signature --

My travel photos: http://redyeti.net/

RedYeti's gear list:RedYeti's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads