Panasonic 7-14mm Filter

Started Aug 1, 2013 | Discussions
Albert Ang
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Panasonic 7-14mm Filter
Aug 1, 2013

I just bought Panasonic 7-14mm. What are the possible filter solutions for this awesome lens?

So far I've found DIY solutions:

1. Rubber gasket solution (ClubSnap )
  2. Hood solution (hkavmode )
  3. Rubber hood solution (RandomPhotog )

Professional (expensive) solution:

Is there any other options? I would love to use the 10-stop ND filter for this lens at 7mm.

Albert Ang's gear list:Albert Ang's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7-14mm Filter
In reply to Albert Ang, Aug 1, 2013
 Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?
In reply to Albert Ang, Aug 1, 2013

The best solution seems to be the rear filter holder from the Panasonic fisheye. It is available as a spare part from Panasonic. AndersW has written about the conversion.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,739
Like?
In reply to Ulric, Aug 1, 2013

Ulric wrote:

The best solution seems to be the rear filter holder from the Panasonic fisheye. It is available as a spare part from Panasonic. AndersW has written about the conversion.

So is there a 10 stop ND filter that will fit that?

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,064Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ulric, Aug 1, 2013

Ulric wrote:

Thanks for beating me to the task Ulric. Here's the link to the "how to" post:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51390321

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Anders W
Like?
In reply to Big Ga, Aug 1, 2013

Big Ga wrote:

Ulric wrote:

Gels provide about the most comprehensive choice of filters you can find. So, yes, of course. The strongest Kodak (Tiffen) gel ND filter available has a transmission rate of 0.01 percent.

http://www.tiffen.com/results.html?search_type=Neutral Density Filters&tablename=kodakaccessories&family=Kodak+Professional+Accessories

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,739
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Aug 1, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

Ulric wrote:

Gels provide about the most comprehensive choice of filters you can find. So, yes, of course. The strongest Kodak (Tiffen) gel ND filter available has a transmission rate of 0.01 percent.

http://www.tiffen.com/results.html?search_type=Neutral Density Filters&tablename=kodakaccessories&family=Kodak+Professional+Accessories

Interesting. I didn't realise there was such a wide choice available. Ta for that link.

Does make you wonder why the manufacturers of these bulbous ultrawide lenses don't stick a rear filter holder in as standard, given that so many photographers still have a desire for using NDs.

Anders W
Like?
In reply to Big Ga, Aug 1, 2013

Big Ga wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

Ulric wrote:

Gels provide about the most comprehensive choice of filters you can find. So, yes, of course. The strongest Kodak (Tiffen) gel ND filter available has a transmission rate of 0.01 percent.

Interesting. I didn't realise there was such a wide choice available. Ta for that link.

Does make you wonder why the manufacturers of these bulbous ultrawide lenses don't stick a rear filter holder in as standard, given that so many photographers still have a desire for using NDs.

Yes. I think it's self-evident that any lens that can't take filters up front should have the option to do so somewhere else, e.g., at the rear. In this case, Panasonic overlooked the issue when designing the 7-14 but recognized it later, when designing the 8 mm fisheye. What still surprises me is that they didn't grab the chance to just do what I did already on the production line for the 7-14: Add the filter holder they were already manufacturing for the 8 mm.

Albert Ang
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Aug 5, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Ulric wrote:

Thanks Anders: You're AWESOME!!

Now, I need to contact Panasonic Australia where to get one since Cumberland Electronics needs 6-8 weeks preorder + $70 shipping

Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Anders W
Like?
In reply to Albert Ang, Aug 5, 2013

Albert Ang wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Ulric wrote:

Thanks Anders: You're AWESOME!!

Now, I need to contact Panasonic Australia where to get one since Cumberland Electronics needs 6-8 weeks preorder + $70 shipping

You are welcome. Yes, I know of the shipping-cost problems when buying from the US. But hopefully, Panasonic Australia will give you a reasonable offer.

PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,993Gear list
Like?
In reply to Albert Ang, Aug 5, 2013

My bank acct provided an excellent filter against the 7-14

Seriously, I preferred the Oly 9-18 and sold my 7-14. Reasons are several, one being protection of the front lens with a filter and another being small size. Plus I preferred the images from the 9-18, even though I use Panasonic bodies (GX1 & GH3)

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Albert Ang
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Aug 9, 2013

Anders W wrote:

You are welcome. Yes, I know of the shipping-cost problems when buying from the US. But hopefully, Panasonic Australia will give you a reasonable offer.

The local Panasonic spare-part distributor quoted A$33, so it's not that bad.

Anders, how do you handle the gel filter? Tweezer? It looks very fragile and may get fingerprint/dust easily. Also, outdoor, the wind may blow it if I'm not extra careful.

Anders W
Like?
In reply to Albert Ang, Aug 9, 2013

Albert Ang wrote:

Anders W wrote:

The local Panasonic spare-part distributor quoted A$33, so it's not that bad.

Sounds like a very reasonable price.

Anders, how do you handle the gel filter? Tweezer?

Yes.

It looks very fragile and may get fingerprint/dust easily. Also, outdoor, the wind may blow it if I'm not extra careful.

The only "gel" filter (they aren't really made of gel any more) I have so far played with is an old Kodak Wratten 2A (bought used) that I have permanently fitted on my 7-14 (primarily to eliminate the purple flare problem this lens gives rise to on Oly bodies, with reduction of purple fringing as a welcome side effect). It is indeed very sensitive. I have learnt not to try to wipe anything of it, even with lens cleaning paper. That will just scratch it and ruin it completely. If you get a fingerprint in the wrong place, you either live with it or throw the piece of gel away. If you get dust on the filter, try a blower.

I haven't even tried removing and inserting the filter when outdoors. It's something I prefer doing at the kitchen table. But I am sure it's doable with a little practice. I'd try to find some place where I can sit down and where it's not too windy.

On the upside:

As I said, my "gel" filter (which I bought before I even knew whether it would work out as expected) is pretty old judging by the packaging (although I don't know exactly how old). The Kodak Wratten "gel" filters now available (marketed by Tiffen) are claimed to be more resistant to various problems as you can see here:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Lab_And_Post_Production/Kodak_filters/wrattten2.htm

Once the filter is mounted at the rear, the likelihood that you will harm it is pretty small. The front of the lens is very exposed whereas the rear is not, especially if you take just a little bit of care when handling the lens.

It would be interesting to hear from those who have bought a new gel filter about their experiences when it comes to handling and sensitivity. It would also be interesting to hear from those who have tried switching filters in the field how they do it and how it works out.

As you can see here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51837004

Abrak is one of those who have been playing with ND filters in that holder on the 7-14. I asked him a question about how/where he mounted/switched filters but didn't get a reply (yet). Perhaps either of us could send him a PM with a reminder.

Bizzarrini
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
In reply to Albert Ang, Aug 9, 2013

By the way, for people in the Netherlands:

http://shop.euras.com/detailsseite.php?viewpicture=y&pic=D458631&ag=02_69&vgruppe=5301020620&price=24,97&partstr=VXQ1911&login=2855404N&thispage=

I ordered the item here, and it was sent to me within a week...

Bizzarrini's gear list:Bizzarrini's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +22 more
Anders W
Like?
In reply to Bizzarrini, Aug 9, 2013

Bizzarrini wrote:

By the way, for people in the Netherlands:

http://shop.euras.com/detailsseite.php?viewpicture=y&pic=D458631&ag=02_69&vgruppe=5301020620&price=24,97&partstr=VXQ1911&login=2855404N&thispage=

I ordered the item here, and it was sent to me within a week...

Thanks for posting that. Might be helpful for people elsewhere in Europe too. Do you know if they ship to other European countries and how much they charge?

Bizzarrini
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Aug 9, 2013

Hi Anders,

I was hoping the same, but alas, they only ship within the Netherlands. However, I would be willing to help out with ordering and reshipping should someone be interested.

Ward

Bizzarrini's gear list:Bizzarrini's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +22 more
yslee1
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Aug 10, 2013

Anders W wrote:

I haven't even tried removing and inserting the filter when outdoors. It's something I prefer doing at the kitchen table. But I am sure it's doable with a little practice. I'd try to find some place where I can sit down and where it's not too windy.

That's really the issue I have with rear-mounted filters. I played with them before when I was trying out a Sigma 12-24, but they're so fiddly. Not very ideal in the field.

Anders W
Like?
In reply to yslee1, Aug 10, 2013

yslee1 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

That's really the issue I have with rear-mounted filters. I played with them before when I was trying out a Sigma 12-24, but they're so fiddly. Not very ideal in the field.

Ideal in the field is a small, round filter about 50 mm thread size. Regrettably, those are not so commonly available with UWAs. So either you have a big unwieldy thing or a small fiddly thing. If anyone has a better solution, I am all ears. In particular, I am interested in the experiences and advice of people who have tried to change those small and fiddly things in the field.

Anders W
Like?
In reply to Bizzarrini, Aug 10, 2013

Bizzarrini wrote:

Hi Anders,

I was hoping the same, but alas, they only ship within the Netherlands. However, I would be willing to help out with ordering and reshipping should someone be interested.

Ward

Hi Ward,

A pity they don't ship elsewhere (but perhaps they're not allowed). At any rate, I appreciate your offer, not on behalf of myself (I am all set as you know) but on behalf of others. That's good forum spirit. I was helped a lot by others here (e.g., Mjankor and Optical1) when I was trying to work these things out and that's forum cooperation at its best.

Cheers,

Anders

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads