Great Blue Heron (up close & personal!)

Started Aug 1, 2013 | Photos
capturef22
Senior MemberPosts: 2,525
Like?
Great Blue Heron (up close & personal!)
Aug 1, 2013

I found a new-to-me but ironically incredibly local wetland within a couple miles of home recently. Actually, it was previously Posted and visitors were not allowed in. For some reason, that changed in the last couple months, so I've been spending a little time there recently. I was there for a few hours the other day and could not believe my luck when a heron flew in and literally landed right in front of me! It was a bit overcast, which actually worked in my favor though it may have made for a bit of a washed-out sky. Anyway, this was a thrill for me; hope you enjoy them too!

-- hide signature --
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,533
Like?
Re: Great Blue Heron (up close & personal!)
In reply to capturef22, Aug 1, 2013

Right place, right time! Glad to hear that the "new" place has opened up to you - especially with a GBH within range.

Very nice work. Thanks for posting.

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
capturef22
Like?
In reply to dwa1, Aug 1, 2013

Thanks Wayne. Between this and the Flickr family, it was a double-header that day. Just about dusk, a scarlet tanager flew in to top off the trifecta. I still have more to process one of these days soon, I hope.

dock
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,471Gear list
Like?
In reply to capturef22, Aug 1, 2013

I am trying to figure out the lighting. It looks as though the sun is back lighting your subject. As I study the pictures I don't see the color I would expect. I do not know if you post processed these or not. Each picture is very sharp and well done with exposure, sharpness and composition. They remind me of my osprey that was back lit.

I applied levels(didn't need much) then I lightened the shadows and darkened the highlights on my favorite shot you took.

This I feel helped a bit

Your shutter speed is good the ISO looks as though this was shot late in the day.

capturef22
Like?
In reply to dock, Aug 2, 2013

dock wrote:

I am trying to figure out the lighting. It looks as though the sun is back lighting your subject. As I study the pictures I don't see the color I would expect. I do not know if you post processed these or not. Each picture is very sharp and well done with exposure, sharpness and composition. They remind me of my osprey that was back lit.

I applied levels(didn't need much) then I lightened the shadows and darkened the highlights on my favorite shot you took.

This I feel helped a bit

Your shutter speed is good the ISO looks as though this was shot late in the day.

Thanks dock. It was indeed late-afternoon, transitioning from sunny to a bit more cloudy and the heron had just left its perch (where I had used +1 1/3 EV) so my exposure was off a bit. The sun was actually at my back. Overall though, it wasn't very bright. The images were processed some, but after publishing them on my photo site (where I took the link from for these images) I thought this image in particular had a reddish tone to it. I like what you did all-around in processing it.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Waterengineer
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?
In reply to capturef22, Aug 3, 2013

That is a juvenile bird by the way, FYI.

FWIW, I am a hydrologist, too.

capturef22
Like?
In reply to Waterengineer, Aug 4, 2013

Waterengineer wrote:

That is a juvenile bird by the way, FYI.

FWIW, I am a hydrologist, too.

Waterengineer, glad you wandered by--always nice to meet another of our kind! Initially I did not realize it was a juvie. In fact, initially I was just so flabbergasted that it would land so close to me I was scrambling adjusting the focal length and tweaking exposure. However, after I got myself together I realized it must be a juvie and it became even clearer once I downloaded and inspected the images (they were taken shortly before dusk).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads