What computer to easily process D800 files?

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions
hajagosb
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?
Re: What computer to easily process D800 files?
In reply to moogle73, Jul 31, 2013

Or simply wait for Apple to release their new Mac Pro later this year

Macs are always looking great. Besides they are overpriced, I just can't stand their foolproof approach to the OS. They are simply way too user friendly. When I want something I want it my way, don't want to get used to what they think is better for me.

An iPhone can pizz me off in 20 seconds.

hajagosb's gear list:hajagosb's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Darrelll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
In reply to hajagosb, Jul 31, 2013

hajagosb wrote:

Thanks guys, this is the info I needed. The plan is to build it myself. It's a great idea to pay attention on the cooling and the power supply. Do you have any suggestion what capacity to get? I was looking at models with 500-600 W.

I want to buy two SSD, one for the system, and one as a cache to use it with Intel Smart Response technology.

I had Windows 7 on my laptop before, and i can tell you, that Windows 8 is far better. Start up time is about 3 times faster, as well as shutdown. It has no stability issues, and i had problem with my USB ports before, but not with 8. I know, start menu sucks, but other than that it's better.

I have a laptop that came with Vista (yes, crap) that I upgraded to Win7 and that runs fine, very stable. My two desktops (new builds) run Win8 and super stable... zero crashes in 7 months of operation. Note, the Win8 detractors are Mac users... so how would they know how good/bad Win8 is. If my desktops were running Win7, I doubt I'd upgrade, but for new builds, I'd definitely recommend Win8.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Darrell

Darrelll's gear list:Darrelll's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800
PhotoKaz
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?

hajagosb wrote:

Thanks, this is something i was looking into. I was thinking to save on the video card, as I'm not planning to run games on it. But I hope an entry level Ati or Nvidia with 2 gigs should do it.

My experience index is 6.7, because of the gfx. All the other numbers are around 7.5

I think my score on the video card was 5.9, everything else was basically pinned.  The video card I picked would be considered entry level, maybe mid-tier for gaming.  I haven't played video games for years so I don't really care.   However, the improvement in performance was instantly noticeable.  I'm happy overall, can't really see it getting any faster at this point as most operations are basically instant.  Of course, import and 1:1 rendering still takes some time, but for that I can just walk away and have a sandwich.  I only care about how fast things work while I'm actually editing photos.

-- hide signature --
 PhotoKaz's gear list:PhotoKaz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +1 more
PhotoKaz
Like?

hajagosb wrote:

Or simply wait for Apple to release their new Mac Pro later this year

Macs are always looking great. Besides they are overpriced, I just can't stand their foolproof approach to the OS. They are simply way too user friendly. When I want something I want it my way, don't want to get used to what they think is better for me.

An iPhone can pizz me off in 20 seconds.

MacOS in unix with a pretty front end.  If you want it your way learn how to work in the unix shell and you can get things done faster.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +1 more
PhotoKaz
Like?
In reply to wireless, Jul 31, 2013

wireless wrote:

I have a nice laptop with I7. When I upgraded my monitor to a 27" and 2560x1440, LR and PS editing slowed to a crawl. The built-in nVidia card could do the resolution but it was unusable really. I looked into everything to fix it. I needed a larger HD so I upgraded that and reinstalled the OS and LR. Same problem.

I bought a newer Dell desktop xps8500 with an upgraded video card. Took care of the problem nicely. Editing is very fast now. The new desktop was about $700. Well worth the it even though it feels kind of dated to buy a desktop/tower these days. Works though.

-David

Dated?  How so?  If you don't need do take your computer with you then a desktop is a much better option.  There is now way I can get I can get the performance of my desktop in any laptop available on the market.  Even if I could find something with a CPU as fast, it's the storage that is the problem.  My desktop has 7 hard drives, good luck getting that into a laptop

Don't get me wrong, I have a laptop too, and I'm typing this message on it.  They have their place, but it's not for performance.

-- hide signature --
dcmackintosh
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
Hackintosh

I've been using a 2010 13" MBP with OWC 8GB RAM upgrade and a faster external HD for data files.  The performance is pretty good, except that I don't have A/C in my house and it does slow a lot when it gets hot.

I can't afford a Mac Pro and I'm tempted to start building a couple of Hackintoshes.  Good power supply and fans, large case, appropriate CPU, memory, drives, graphics card, and hopefully not a ton of frustration getting it going if I use a proven build.

pengch
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?

hajagosb wrote:

My photo/video editing computer does not go to internet.

Feels a bit off topic, but I'm happy for you.

net will slow your computer.

wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 450Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhotoKaz, Aug 1, 2013

PhotoKaz wrote:

wireless wrote:

[...] Well worth the it even though it feels kind of dated to buy a desktop/tower these days. Works though.

-David

Dated? How so? If you don't need do take your computer with you then a desktop is a much better option. [...]

That's the problem, a desktop is not portable.  With a laptop, docking station, monitor and keyboard you have in essence a portable desktop.  Laptops are very powerful now.  Many hi-tech companies solely use them in the docking station configuration.

You made need 7 drives but that's a special case.   I don't need to keep more than a couple TB directly on my computer.  The rest can go on external drive and NAS or even cloud based.  Many of the big names in photography use them, Kelby, Timi Grey, Scott's sidekick Kowsloski (sp) and others.  I don't care to edit on a laptop screen but it's nice to be able to pull a laptop off a docking station and go.  Since I don't need to travel with my personal laptop that much my daughter has it now. 

regards, David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
PhotoKaz
Like?
In reply to wireless, Aug 1, 2013

wireless wrote:

PhotoKaz wrote:

wireless wrote:

[...] Well worth the it even though it feels kind of dated to buy a desktop/tower these days. Works though.

-David

Dated? How so? If you don't need do take your computer with you then a desktop is a much better option. [...]

That's the problem, a desktop is not portable. With a laptop, docking station, monitor and keyboard you have in essence a portable desktop. Laptops are very powerful now. Many hi-tech companies solely use them in the docking station configuration.

You made need 7 drives but that's a special case. I don't need to keep more than a couple TB directly on my computer. The rest can go on external drive and NAS or even cloud based. Many of the big names in photography use them, Kelby, Timi Grey, Scott's sidekick Kowsloski (sp) and others. I don't care to edit on a laptop screen but it's nice to be able to pull a laptop off a docking station and go. Since I don't need to travel with my personal laptop that much my daughter has it now.

regards, David

I know that laptops are powerful, but still not nearly as powerful as desktops.  I work in an office where I dock my laptop into a docking station and have 2 big monitors, network, power, etc.  It's convenient but not a desktop replacement in a true sense.  If you need to keep a couple of TB of files on your laptop, how do you do that?  You need more than one internal hard drive, and forget running an SSD.

I select the hardware standards for my company, all of our laptops are SSD based, lightweight, and have docking stations in the office.  There is only one group, the engineers, that require a different type of laptop and they use mobile workstations.  These laptops are portable, yes, but not fun to carry around.  They are pushing 8 pounds with the power adapter but that is what they need.  They have dual hard drives, fast CPU, a lot of memory, and high end graphics to run AutoCAD.  Battery life is horrendous, something like one hour under heavy load.  We have tried several brands: Dell (Precision and Alienware), HP, Lenovo, they are all basically the same.

For me, I carry a lightweight laptop (Lenovo X1 Carbon) which is under 3 lbs, has a lot of memory, good battery life, a fast (though small) SSD, and 3G connectivity.  It serves me well as a mobile computing platform but it certainly won't do well if editing D800 files.

-- hide signature --
KevL
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
In reply to moogle73, Aug 1, 2013

moogle73 wrote:

hajagosb wrote:

At the moment, I'm using an almost two years old Dell XPS laptop with SSD drive, 16GB RAM and i7 processor running Windows 8. It should be fast.

I'm doing heavy retouching often, 2-4 GB layered Photoshop files and sometimes for events processing a lot of files in Lightroom. And my computer feels kind of slow for both.

What do you have, where it's really fast in response? What should i focus on choosing a new computer, more memory, or faster processor? I'm going for a desktop now.

Well I am fairly knowledgeable in IT, for starters I would defiantly ditch the laptop and go for a desktop on your next build. Generally laptop processors are not as "fast" as desktop processors, laptop processors are built to be mobile being paramount not pure processing. So they have build in power saving features, also usually run a slower clock speeds to generate less heat as heat is a major problem with laptops... all in all its not apples to apples, an I7 desktop processor will always outperform an i7 laptop processes. So imo desktop build is a must if your looking for the best possible performance. Also while on the topic of processors, most high end photo editing programs such as Photoshop are written to take advantage of multicore with most of its calculations (not everything). So having more cores with the same clock speed will be better than having less core at the same clock speed. Its not going to be a liner improvement, hence if an i3 has 4 core an an i7 has 12 cores, the i7 wont be 3 times as fast, it will probably be more like 50% faster, but never the less, it will still perform better. It all just comes down to what your willing to pay for. But I would say get the latest processor (its usually the smallest size) that has the highest clock speed, and highest amount of cores you can afford or feel comfortable purchasing.

secondly you will want to load your rig with fast ddr3 ram. Ram is "dirt cheap" now (relitive to what it was 5-10 years ago) Im currently running 32gb of ram on my desktop, and there is no such thing as "not enough ram" if you have the money, and the slots on your motherboard to support it, put it in. Likewise if running an x64 windows, and a current version of Photoshop, Photoshop is written to use ALL available ram, its not capped at say 2gb or 4gb like some programs, if you have 32gb of ram, Photoshop will utilize all 32gb if it has to.

third, hdd, Solid states will access data faster, but large solid states don't come cheap. again if money isnt that huge of a concern (within reason obviously) I would say get a large like 512gb ssd as your primary hard drive, install and run all programs off of it, as well as process all photos from this drive. Then get secondary and third slave "data" drives, of 3-4tb drives, store all your photos and data on these drives when not directly editing them, for long term storage.

fourth, do get a video card, and a "decent one" at that, again some photo editing software including Photoshop are written to take advantage of GPU's as well as CPU's. I have always been an nvidia guy my self, but ati makes solid products as well. I would look for one with 1-2gb of ram, more if you can afford it, but its not critical.

fifth, get a good case! you dont need watercooling, but you will need good air flow. So you will want a large case, with multiple large 120mm or bigger fans. My current rig has 7x 120mm fans (2 of which are high airflow) and I can overclock my rig with no heating issues if I want (although I never need to) but just having so much airflow keeps your pc components happy and cool.

sixth, dont skimp on power supply unit either (assuming your building your own and not buying a pre-built one) reason being psu's are usually the ugly step child forgotten in a pc build because its not "fancy" and you cant "brag about it". But the simple fact of the matter is the psu is the 1 major weak point in the whole rig. If you get a cheap $30 psu, and it goes south and sends a surge into your pc, guess what, you just fried every component in your computer probably costing you $1,000+ dollars plus loss of data (if you don't have external or off site backups of your data) all because someone was cheap on the psu and wanted to spend $30 instead of $120 on it. Now like everything the $120 one may fail too, but they are built much better and to a higher standard, hence the major failures occur much less. I have seen psu's fail and fry components in a pc many times.

and lastly for the love of god make sure your OS is 64bit, I know its nearly impossible to buy 32bit OS's anymore, but still, it needs to be said lol. (plus you cant get anymore than 4gb of on a 32bit system anyway so I doubt its something someone would do but needs to be said)

Now my rig is about a year or so old, so mines not the newest kid on the block either but it goes as follow (and was built by me)

CPU- i7-3770 3.40ghz
Ram -32gb ddr3 (dont remember the exact speed would need to look up)
GPU- Nvidia GTX 550ti 2gb ddr5
HD - multiple drives (4 to be exact)
OS - Windows 7pro x64
PSU - OCZ 600w

hope that helps lol

great advice!

-- hide signature --

Kevin

KevL's gear list:KevL's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +12 more
Steve D4 RX 1
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
In reply to hajagosb, Aug 1, 2013

hajagosb wrote:

At the moment, I'm using an almost two years old Dell XPS laptop with SSD drive, 16GB RAM and i7 processor running Windows 8. It should be fast.

I'm doing heavy retouching often, 2-4 GB layered Photoshop files and sometimes for events processing a lot of files in Lightroom. And my computer feels kind of slow for both.

What do you have, where it's really fast in response? What should i focus on choosing a new computer, more memory, or faster processor? I'm going for a desktop now.

I'm using an older (2006) MacPro and it struggles some with even the basics. I'm using LR4 and CS6. I was looking to upgrade and was told that the graphics card was equally as important as the amount of RAM.

I may just go with the new MacPro and forgo trying to bring this one up to speed.

Best,

Steve

AlephNull
Contributing MemberPosts: 768Gear list
Like?

The 2600K / 3770K / 4770K CPUs are fast, but they have limitations - they are all dual-channel for RAM.

I suggest, strongly, that you should consider using a different family of CPUs that supports quad-channel RAM. My personal choice is currently the 3930K - six physical cores, hyper-threaded, means 12 simultaneous threads. It supports quad-channel RAM, and up to 8 DIMMs (up to 64GB of RAM), and it has 40 PCIe lanes (compared with the 20 PCIe lanes on the mainstream CPUs).

Sometime late this year there will be a new range of -E CPUs (the Ivy Bridge-E range) - they will still be quad-channel, and they will still be a better choice for heavy-duty PhotoShop that the mainstream chips. They aren't as cheap, but having double the memory bandwidth makes a difference

I do NOT recommend getting a single large SSD. Instead I suggest getting a smallish SSD for the OS and software, and then one or more medium to large SSDs to use as staging drives for the images. That way you can replace the staging drives if you wear them out.

Don't go overboard on the graphics card if you are only processing stills - Photoshop doesn't make great use of the GPU when processing stills (video is different).

I also recommend getting a 80+ Platinum power supply.

It may sound odd, but I don't put a magnetic drive in my PhotoShop machine - I keep the magnetic storage in external RAID boxes.

There is no laptop CPU which comes close to the processing power of a full-powered desktop CPU. That's understandable - mobile CPUs are optimised for lower power consumption, not maximum performance. Feel free to use a laptop because it's convenient, but don't claim it's "just as powerful".

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D810
The Andy G
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?
I'm using a Mac pro from 2006 and it inhales D800e files with no problem

Hi:

This is a non-issue.

-- hide signature --

The Andy G's gear list:The Andy G's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G
Steve D4 RX 1
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Re: I'm using a Mac pro from 2006 and it inhales D800e files with no problem
In reply to The Andy G, Aug 1, 2013

The Andy G wrote:

Hi:

This is a non-issue.

-- hide signature --

I must have other issues then because mine is slow. when I launch CS6 a window opens that says that my graphics card is not supported. I'm paraphrasing but that is what it indicates.

Best,

Steve

Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,962Gear list
Like?
What camera do you have now?

What camera do you have now?  How many Mpixel?  Processing time needed is more or less linearly related to number of pixels in the image (for most operations).

The D800 is 36Mpixel.  If your current camera is 18Mpixel, you need a computer twice as fast (processor) to achieve the same processing times.  Disks twice as fast: maybe.

But also consider network.  If you back up over a network, forget wifi (54Mbit wifi gives a throughput of less than half that) and even 100Mbit Ethernet gets a bit slow.  You should consider upgrading your house routers/switches/bridges to 1G Ethernet (that's not expensive, and make sure you main and backup computers have 1G Ethernet adapters).

And you'll want to get a USB3 CF/SD card reader (also not expensive) and plug it in to a USB3 port (on most computers, even if they have USB3, only some of the ports are USB3).

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?
Make your own!

When Dell or anyone else for that matter sells a computer, they sell inferior parts or over-inflated prices. When you build your own computer, you are in charge of what is in the computer.

And *EVERYTHING* matters. The computer I am building has the following:

A 1200 Watt Power Supply. (A lot of people don't even think about this part of the computer, but a good power supply with clean power is one of the most important pieces of the puzzle).

A 30" widescreen, 1 Billion Color monitor. They're very cheap at about $1000.

A single Video-Card. I'm not interested in playing the SLI game. 1 Card does enough, provided you spend some reasonable green on it. I'm looking at the GTX 680 for myself.

A $300 motherboard. I don't need the $500 board with quad or tri-SLI since I'm only using 1 card. So the 1 card solution is saving me the better side of a grand.

A SSD C:Drive. A drive for my games, docs, folders, and stuff. A drive for my photos. A drive for my videos. And copies of all drives. If I could do so, I would simply buy 1 SSD or 1 SSD and 1 Hard-drive, but 2TB is max for my preferred western digital black drives, so I'll suffer until technology catches up to me.

A $300 full-tower service case, so I can push a button and pull out a hard-drive for backup purposes, etc. I do believe in the RAID system, but I don't believe in losing all my data because I don't have a backup in a different physical location.

I always spend $300-$400 on a processor. I think the 3870 is thereabouts now.

And 64 Gigs of RAM.

Will I need all this stuff???  I've been building computers since 1996 and the answer is a *RESOUNDING YES*, because I always end up lagging behind after a couple of years. Now I could buy cheaper, twice as often; but I have to tell you that it's quite fun having a computer that almost no one can match (at least for a year).
Anyway, that's my computer plans.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

imax2k2
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?

hajagosb wrote:

Your computer is fast enough, in case you don't find it so, I'd recommend a fresh install of Windows 7 if you can get it, I know without having many things on the startup, with that setup it should easily process D800 files. I have something very similar and I don't have any issues working with photoshop/LR 4/5. I don't have any experience on Windows 8, so I cant comment on it. FYI this is my config (I put everything together)

Corsair 800D case

Core i7 @ 5Ghz with a custom water cooled setup on Asus Maximus IV Extreme.

16gb Ram (4x4gb)

160x2 Sata III SSD's in Raid 0 for OS and programs, and several other TB hdds.

2 X GTX 580 cards in SLI.

Corsair HX 12000 W psu.

27" Monitor

At the time (3yrs ago) it came to be about $2500+ , but I don't think it will need an upgrade anytime soon.

imax2k2's gear list:imax2k2's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
pieces
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1n9fd
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1n9fd/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1n9fd/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($137.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($264.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($124.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1466.90

This is a very good system for price and power for Photoshop and light HD video editing. Head over to Tom's Hardware and do a few searches through the forums for PCs for photoshop and video editing. There are excellent benchmarks for CPUs and motherboards for PS as well as on other sites. Toms hardware has some excellent reviews om their website (eg Bitfenix Shenobi case, Fractual design F4 case, the Samsung pro series 128 GB or 256 GB SSDs, the Power supply and the cooling). I have recently bought pretty much this system and it is fast, and really quiet. Handles large 1080/50P video editing files with ease. Eats my D7000 raw files like snacks. Note I have not gone for a really high end graphics card because I an not into gaming. I tossed up between the i-3930k and i-4770k but when I was offered the 4770 at nearly the same price as the 3930 went for that. Decent cooling without necessarily overspending is possible if you are not seriously overclocking or into heavy gaming, same with PSU, 650 gold is enough for what I do, if however you game heavily think of 750 gold.

These were some of the threads I bookmarked when looking at this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1676917/video-editing-adobe-cs6-build.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1694425/gaming-video-editing-build.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/352302-31-build-performance-photoshop-2500-3000

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/370315-31-3930k-based-video-editing-workstation

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/350701-31-video-editing-1800

Useful SSD Articles - Part 2 - Performance - Storage

Daniel Bliss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678
Like?
In reply to Darrelll, Aug 1, 2013

I'm a Mac user too and I think Windows 8 is probably the way to go if you can tolerate the way Microsoft mangled the home screen.  I set up a friend's computer with it and it's the first Windows laptop I've seen in a while that doesn't overheat for one thing.  And yes, the startup is nice and fast.  It seems to have a lot less overhead than previous versions of Windows.  I personally think using it is a chore, though, if you don't have a touchscreen.

Aurora0026
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
In reply to Daniel Bliss, Aug 1, 2013

This one will do the job fine

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads