K-5 II vs. K-50/K-30?

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,951Gear list
Like?
K-5 II vs. K-50/K-30?
Jul 30, 2013

It has been suggested to me that someone committing to a Pentax DSLR might be better served by investing a little more up front on a K-5 II body rather than a K-50/K-30.  Opinions?

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TomWret
Senior MemberPosts: 1,559Gear list
Like?
Re: K-5 II vs. K-50/K-30?
In reply to yardcoyote, Jul 30, 2013

yardcoyote I have the K5II and its the best I've owned you will not be disappointed. Excellent with low lite focus and auto exposure is the best of the one I have owned. It fits your hand its not too big or too small. The menus are easy to navigate. I love it except for its fixed LCD screen(minor).

Tom W(ret)

K5II+Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro

K5II + Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro

K5II + 90mm f2.8 Macro

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yardcoyote
Like?
In reply to TomWret, Jul 30, 2013

Pretty-- very pretty.  I was admiring the giant hibiscus shot earlier on another thread.  It looks like you get along well with the long macro Tamron.  I've also heard positive things about the Sigma macro teles for the Pentax.

Your comments about the body are appreciated.  Do other people feel that the improved autofocus of the K-5 II is a notable advancement over other Pentax DSLRs?

Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191Gear list
Like?

yardcoyote wrote:

Your comments about the body are appreciated. Do other people feel that the improved autofocus of the K-5 II is a notable advancement over other Pentax DSLRs?

Yes without doubt. I used to have the original K5, bought in September 2011, and although it performed perfectly well, AF wasn't anywhere now the K5IIs which I have now. Between those two models I had the K30, and AF was quick and accurate on that model too.

Especially noticeable on the K5IIs is the faster focussing on SDM zooms ie the 16-50 and 50-135, which were frustratingly slow on the K5. I now use the K5IIs in very low light indoor conditions (even candle light) and have no issues whatsoever ...

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A1 +8 more
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208Gear list
Like?
In reply to britcam, Jul 30, 2013

britcam wrote:

yardcoyote wrote:

Your comments about the body are appreciated. Do other people feel that the improved autofocus of the K-5 II is a notable advancement over other Pentax DSLRs?

Yes without doubt. I used to have the original K5, bought in September 2011, and although it performed perfectly well, AF wasn't anywhere now the K5IIs which I have now. Between those two models I had the K30, and AF was quick and accurate on that model too.

Especially noticeable on the K5IIs is the faster focussing on SDM zooms ie the 16-50 and 50-135, which were frustratingly slow on the K5. I now use the K5IIs in very low light indoor conditions (even candle light) and have no issues whatsoever ...

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam

To echo that comment on the K-30's AF ability... the K-30 can accurately focus in light lower than I ever want or should take a picture.  The K-5 II will go even a little lower.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,594Gear list
Like?
In reply to britcam, Jul 30, 2013

britcam wrote:

yardcoyote wrote:

I too had a K-5 before my K-5IIs, and I concur.

Unless it is simply because my technique has improved a lot, I get a better result with AF-C on my long DA* lenses (60-250mm f/4 and 300mm f/4) for action, and a better low-light AF-S performance on my DA 17-70mm f/4.

(It is not perfect. Failure to achieve accurate AF-C focus in continuous shooting is still my main reason for deletion after an airshow or motor sports. But it is better than any other Pentax I've had. However, I have never had a K-30).

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +22 more
gtis
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to Barry Pearson, Jul 30, 2013

Barry Pearson wrote:

britcam wrote:

yardcoyote wrote:

I too had a K-5 before my K-5IIs, and I concur.

Unless it is simply because my technique has improved a lot, I get a better result with AF-C on my long DA* lenses (60-250mm f/4 and 300mm f/4) for action, and a better low-light AF-S performance on my DA 17-70mm f/4.

(It is not perfect. Failure to achieve accurate AF-C focus in continuous shooting is still my main reason for deletion after an airshow or motor sports. But it is better than any other Pentax I've had. However, I have never had a K-30).

is the af same on the k5ii as the k5iis

neil

philzucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,144
Like?

yardcoyote wrote:

It has been suggested to me that someone committing to a Pentax DSLR might be better served by investing a little more up front on a K-5 II body rather than a K-50/K-30. Opinions?

I never handled a K-30/K-50, I do have a K-01 that shares some technology with the K-30 (processor, sensor, focus peaking etc.).

My main points are, from recent use and experience with both K-01 and K5-II:

• If you're a RAW shooter, the 14 bits on the K5 series IMO really make a difference. It's subtle in everyday use, but especially if you do some heavy lifting (raising shadows especially) those 14 bits really are worth it. And raised shadow noise is definitely better on my K5-II compared to the K-01. But you may be an accurately exposing JPG shooter, and here the difference might be non existent or may be even in favor of the K-01/K30.
  • I really value the top LCD display using the camera in bright sunlight outdoors, especially while doing some tripod based work. It just is faster to have everything important at a glance without looking at the LCD monitor IMO. Also little things like a IR receiver on the back of the body make life much easier for this kind of work.
  • Focus peaking on the other hand is a joy to use on the K-01 (and also available on the K30/K50), so for the old manual lenses this is a very nice feature and brings them back to life. 

These are only some points. YMMV. I'm sure you won't do anything wrong with either camera. My recommendation: If you're into RAW do get a K5-II(s),  if you're doing mainly JPGs and/or plan to use a lot of manual lenses, get a K30/K50.

Phil

-- hide signature --
Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,594Gear list
Like?
In reply to gtis, Jul 30, 2013

gtis wrote:

Barry Pearson wrote:

is the af same on the k5ii as the k5iis

The engineering of AF is exactly the same on these cameras.

I don't know if the presence / absence of the AA filter makes any difference to AF in practice.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +22 more
Fl_Gulfer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,176Gear list
Like?

Why not wait and see what they are coming out with in September. They may be coming out with a new Top Grade DSLR to blow the K-5 away.  But that is just a guess for the X-mas releases that should be out by Oct.

If you can't wait grab a used K-5 in the Pentax Forum Marketplace and play with that till the new one's are released.

-- hide signature --

Gear Listed in "About Me"

Fl_Gulfer's gear list:Fl_Gulfer's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
yardcoyote
Like?
In reply to Fl_Gulfer, Jul 30, 2013

Thanks, everyone.  I may very well be waiting until September anyway, if not October.  If I do decide to raise the budget to include a K-5II that will increase my lead time a bit. If I decide to go with the K-30, I would be free to act a little sooner.

Does the K-5II not have focus peaking?  Does the K-50? I do plan to at least experiment with my old M series lenses, so that sounds like a feature I would like to have.

britcam
Like?

yardcoyote wrote:

Thanks, everyone. I may very well be waiting until September anyway, if not October. If I do decide to raise the budget to include a K-5II that will increase my lead time a bit. If I decide to go with the K-30, I would be free to act a little sooner.

Does the K-5II not have focus peaking? Does the K-50? I do plan to at least experiment with my old M series lenses, so that sounds like a feature I would like to have.

Focus peaking is in the K-01, K30, and K50, but not the K5II. But it is such a useful feature that no doubt it will appear in future high-end models.

The K30 is without doubt the best value for money at the moment, with FP, and a host of other features.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam

Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A1 +8 more
hanhait
Senior MemberPosts: 1,068Gear list
Like?

For me it was the silent shutter that made me choose the K-5 over the - at that time - Kr.

I'm not sure how that is with the K-30. Also I highly appreciate the LCD display on top of the camera.

hanhait's gear list:hanhait's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +5 more
britcam
Like?
In reply to hanhait, Jul 30, 2013

hanhait wrote:

For me it was the silent shutter that made me choose the K-5 over the - at that time - Kr.

I'm not sure how that is with the K-30. Also I highly appreciate the LCD display on top of the camera.

The K-30 shutter is a lot noisier than that of the K5 - harsher, & less refined by a long way ...  I also find I tend to use the K5 top display quite a bit ...

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam

howieb101
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
In reply to britcam, Jul 31, 2013

The other big difference is dust reduction.  The K5's and K7 before it have superior dust reduction and this does make a difference if you are a regular landscape shooter, ie, using F8 - F22 regularly.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads