Rebel 4Ti or 5Ti

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions
ChefMark
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Rebel 4Ti or 5Ti
Jul 30, 2013

Why do they have to make this so dog gone complicated? I was looking at the Rebel 4Ti and thought that was the camera for me.  I was waiting for the prices to come down a bit and now they gone and came out with Rebel 5Ti and for all do purposes it the same camera and the reviews are not as good.   In your all’s humble opinion what should one do?  Or the way Canon is going just wait a week and see if the 6ti come out.

Seriously any input would be helpful.

DanCee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,659Gear list
Like?
Re: Rebel 4Ti or 5Ti
In reply to ChefMark, Jul 30, 2013

ChefMark wrote:

Why do they have to make this so dog gone complicated? I was looking at the Rebel 4Ti and thought that was the camera for me. I was waiting for the prices to come down a bit and now they gone and came out with Rebel 5Ti and for all do purposes it the same camera and the reviews are not as good. In your all’s humble opinion what should one do? Or the way Canon is going just wait a week and see if the 6ti come out.

Txi will come out every year, so if you buy one near the end of the year when the price goes further down, you'll be disappointed as new one will be announce in February(usually). So, right now is practically the right time

Which one? From this two, if T4i suits your need already, why not pick this one instead spending more dollars for T5i? I don't think T5i offer a lot more. However, I don't know how much $ the difference is, if you have extra fund, just get T5i for longer term investment. I read the review recently that T5i live view AF is faster than its predecessor. So, if you're going to do video, this might come handy. Just my 2cents

-- hide signature --

Denny

DanCee's gear list:DanCee's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Count Biscotti
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
In reply to DanCee, Jul 30, 2013

If you are going to ask that question, then you would have to include the T3i in the question as well.

If you are interested in still photography and think that DSLRs have effectively plateaued, then there's no point in going for the latest marketing ploy.

The real question is then: How much is an incremental $100 to you??

If video is high on your list, then the T5i may be a better choice.

Count Biscotti's gear list:Count Biscotti's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A37 Nikon D5300 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +1 more
Silverwind
Senior MemberPosts: 1,306
Like?

Buy the T4i and save the money for a better lens or flash.

The T5i is nothing more than a relabled T4i with a weak feature set as an upgrade.

wanner
Regular MemberPosts: 341Gear list
Like?
T5i reviews

Why do they have to make this so dog gone complicated? I was looking at the Rebel 4Ti and thought that was the camera for me.  I was waiting for the prices to come down a bit and now they gone and came out with Rebel 5Ti and for all do purposes it the same camera and the reviews are not as good.   In your all’s humble opinion what should one do?  Or the way Canon is going just wait a week and see if the 6ti come out.

I think the t5i got hurt some in reviews due to the fact that it's so similar to the t4i, just a small incremental upgrade while being more expensive. With that said I believe the IQ is on par and the t5i is a good camera!

I'm perfectly happy with my t5i!

wanner's gear list:wanner's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 700D Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +3 more
ChefMark
Like?
In reply to ChefMark, Jul 31, 2013

Thank you, I think I'll try the 5Ti from Amazon, 823.00 and the 4ti is 799.00.

R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,856Gear list
Like?

ChefMark wrote:

Right.  For that difference you might as well!

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755Gear list
Like?

ChefMark wrote:

For $24? Get the newer one. Here is the list of differences between the two cameras:

• Real-time preview of Creative Filters in Live View mode
  • Redesigned new mode dial that turns 360 degrees
  • New 'upmarket' textured body finish.

That's not much. I'd definitely pay $24 more for a better body finish, but DPReview said it's not much better and it's still plastic

I think a lot of people are curious as to why Canon create the "new" T5i, when it's 99.9% the same as the T4i.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,456Gear list
Like?

Looks to me like t6i will get the continuous PDAF in video mode from the 70D.  I would probably hold off until it was released.  

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
DanCee
Like?

Well, thats easy choice! Go for the new one!

-- hide signature --

Denny

Canon PowerShot A620 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
ChefMark
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Jul 31, 2013

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Looks to me like t6i will get the continuous PDAF in video mode from the 70D.  I would probably hold off until it was released.  

See it's never ending, How is one to keep up.  Better go and get another lottery ticket

gerry
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?

ChefMark wrote:

Call Adorama in NY. I bought a t4i body for 639.00, but their website was selling it for 699.00.

All I did was call and inquired about the t4i and the person quoted me 639.00. I thought it over for a few days, then called them back and purchased it. So far it's a fantastic camera. I was upgrading form a canon 450d (xsi)

DanCee
Like?

ChefMark wrote:

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Looks to me like t6i will get the continuous PDAF in video mode from the 70D. I would probably hold off until it was released.

See it's never ending, How is one to keep up. Better go and get another lottery ticket

You can wait or you can start taking pictures

-- hide signature --

Denny

MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755Gear list
Like?
In reply to gerry, Jul 31, 2013

gerry wrote:

ChefMark wrote:

Call Adorama in NY. I bought a t4i body for 639.00, but their website was selling it for 699.00.

All I did was call and inquired about the t4i and the person quoted me 639.00. I thought it over for a few days, then called them back and purchased it. So far it's a fantastic camera. I was upgrading form a canon 450d (xsi)

No way is a T5i worth $200 more than a T4i. They really are the same camera. Even DP Review's review said they just copied the  T4i review and added the updates, and there were basically none.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
ChefMark
Like?
In reply to DanCee, Jul 31, 2013

LOL, Take Pictures!!! Noticed I did not said not good pictures.  I leave that up to my Wife

Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,456Gear list
Like?
In reply to ChefMark, Aug 1, 2013

ChefMark wrote:

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Looks to me like t6i will get the continuous PDAF in video mode from the 70D. I would probably hold off until it was released.

See it's never ending, How is one to keep up. Better go and get another lottery ticket

True of all technology.  I typically don't suggest waiting, the DSLRs that are out now are fantastic.  This is a somewhat special circumstance since the 70D brings the first non 18mp sensor based APS-C in years.  I would at least wait to see the reviews on the 70D to see if it's worth waiting for the next rebel (or the 70D if they price is reasonable).

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
ChefMark
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Aug 1, 2013

The 70d seem to be a bit out of my price range. I think the Rebel line has been very stable line for what I will be using the camera for.

Phhoenyxx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,331Gear list
Like?
In reply to DanCee, Aug 1, 2013

DanCee wrote:

ChefMark wrote:

Why do they have to make this so dog gone complicated? I was looking at the Rebel 4Ti and thought that was the camera for me. I was waiting for the prices to come down a bit and now they gone and came out with Rebel 5Ti and for all do purposes it the same camera and the reviews are not as good. In your all’s humble opinion what should one do? Or the way Canon is going just wait a week and see if the 6ti come out.

Txi will come out every year, so if you buy one near the end of the year when the price goes further down, you'll be disappointed as new one will be announce in February(usually). So, right now is practically the right time

Which one? From this two, if T4i suits your need already, why not pick this one instead spending more dollars for T5i? I don't think T5i offer a lot more. However, I don't know how much $ the difference is, if you have extra fund, just get T5i for longer term investment. I read the review recently that T5i live view AF is faster than its predecessor. So, if you're going to do video, this might come handy. Just my 2cents

The T5i does not have faster AF in Live View. They both use the same Hybrid CMOS AF sensor. The review/preview you read was one that combined the T5i and SL1. It is the SL1 which has the faster AF in Live View due to its newer Hybrid CMOS AF II sensor.

-- hide signature --

Denny

-- hide signature --

"Amp up and amplify! Defy! I'm a brother with a furious mind!"

Phhoenyxx's gear list:Phhoenyxx's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads