Fuji X-E1 and 35mm f/1.4 noise

Started Jul 29, 2013 | Discussions
pnarruda
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Fuji X-E1 and 35mm f/1.4 noise
Jul 29, 2013

Hello friends,

My 35mm works beautifully, but it is definitely not silent. When half-pressing the shutter, I can always hear quite loudly the aperture blades closing and opening when I release it (unless I'm already at f/1.4).

When I turn the camera on with the 35mm I can hear the same aperture blade noise. If I look inside the lens when turning the camera on, it will immediately stop down to about f2.8 or so and then quickly open up to f/1.4 (I usually leave it at f1.4), which is where the noise comes from when turning it on.

I also noticed that when half-pressing the shutter at any aperture other than f/1.4, the lens will close the aperture near, but not at the desired f stop, focus the lens and then quickly afterwards close the aperture a little more to reach the desired f stop.

Anyone else experience this too?

Cheers,

P.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,403Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-E1 and 35mm f/1.4 noise
In reply to pnarruda, Jul 30, 2013

Do you have the latest firmware for both the camera and the lens installed?

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pnarruda
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Jul 30, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

Do you have the latest firmware for both the camera and the lens installed?

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that everything is up to date.

P.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,403Gear list
Like?

Well, that removes that possibility. I do not have the lens but I believe earlier FW versions had chattering aperture blades. Hopefully someone with more experience has an idea.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +9 more
ryan2007
Forum ProPosts: 10,556Gear list
Like?

pnarruda wrote:

Hello friends,

My 35mm works beautifully, but it is definitely not silent. When half-pressing the shutter, I can always hear quite loudly the aperture blades closing and opening when I release it (unless I'm already at f/1.4).

When I turn the camera on with the 35mm I can hear the same aperture blade noise. If I look inside the lens when turning the camera on, it will immediately stop down to about f2.8 or so and then quickly open up to f/1.4 (I usually leave it at f1.4), which is where the noise comes from when turning it on.

I also noticed that when half-pressing the shutter at any aperture other than f/1.4, the lens will close the aperture near, but not at the desired f stop, focus the lens and then quickly afterwards close the aperture a little more to reach the desired f stop.

Cheers,

P.

If no one else can hear the noise I would not worry. You can always send it for repair.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Adrian Tung
Senior MemberPosts: 2,861Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Jul 30, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

Well, that removes that possibility. I do not have the lens but I believe earlier FW versions had chattering aperture blades. Hopefully someone with more experience has an idea.

The updated firmware just tries to ease in the change (e.g. by not making drastic changes in aperture too quickly), so that the noise is less noticeable. But unless the lens aperture blades themselves are a smooth, click-less type (such as the Voigtlander 17/0.95 and other cinema lenses), you are not going to eliminate noise completely.

Adrian Tung's gear list:Adrian Tung's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +9 more
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,095Gear list
Like?

pnarruda wrote:

Hello friends,

Yes, and this is ridiculous, Fuji!

miro3's gear list:miro3's gear list
Sony a6000
Adrian Tung
Senior MemberPosts: 2,861Gear list
Like?
In reply to miro3, Jul 30, 2013

miro3 wrote:

pnarruda wrote:

Hello friends,

Yes, and this is ridiculous, Fuji!

Hmm I just tested this by pointing the camera at the window and focusing with various apertures, then pointing the camera indoors and focusing at various apertures.

Based on the test, I can form my hypothesis:

First of all, we know all mirrorless cameras must use the aperture to regulate the amount of light that continuously hits the sensor.

Second of all, we know that most, if not all, cameras focus wide open in order to accurately focus (i.e. too much DOF makes it harder to pinpoint the plane of focus).

Now, in the case of the Fuji X cameras, it seems to me that when the sensor is not overwhelmed by too much light (e.g. pointing inside the room), it focuses normally: it opens up the aperture wide open to focus, then stop down once focus is confirmed for the shot.

On the other hand, when the camera is stopped down due to excessive light (e.g. pointing at the window outside), it will still try to open the aperture up if you are stopped down; however, depending on the light levels it may or may not open fully wide open.

So... this is what appears to be happening and it seems reasonable behaviour to me.

Adrian Tung's gear list:Adrian Tung's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +9 more
pnarruda
Like?
In reply to Adrian Tung, Jul 30, 2013

Interesting. So mine is not an isolated case? This is how the 35mm lens functions properly?

It's generally not a bother and it works fine, but in silent locations it can be a little bit of a bother.

P.

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,783Gear list
Like?
rattle and hum

http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com/?p=1802

I like to choose song or album titles for my blog posts but in that case it fits absolutely perfect.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Wheatfield
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?

It's a machine. It's bound to make a little noise. I can't imagine a singe instance where it would be noisy enough to be a problem. I have strong doubts that anyone 10 feet away from the camera would even notice the thing firing.

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

SixDasher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,710
Like?

Do you come from a P&S camera to the Fuji, or have you had other non-P&S cameras?  Just a question, don't read anything into it.

-- hide signature --

FujiFilm X-E1
F: 28mm f2.0 AIS | 35mm f1.4 AIS | 50mm f1.2 AIS | 85mm f1.4 AIS | 105mm f2.5 AIS | 105mm f4 micro AI | 135mm f2.0 AIS
X: Samyang 8mm f2.8 Fisheye
M: Voigtländer 35mm f1.4 Nokton | Zeiss ZM 50mm f2 Planar
M42: Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (8E) | Helios 44 58mm f2.0 | Tair 11A 135mm f2.8

pnarruda
Like?
In reply to SixDasher, Jul 30, 2013

I've had many Canon dslr's.

P.

pnarruda
Like?
In reply to Wheatfield, Jul 30, 2013

Wheatfield wrote:

It's a machine. It's bound to make a little noise. I can't imagine a singe instance where it would be noisy enough to be a problem. I have strong doubts that anyone 10 feet away from the camera would even notice the thing firing.

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

I agree, I was just wondering if this was the normal behaviour for the lens or if mine was faulty. Don't read too much into it.

P.

SixDasher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,710
Like?

OK, just trying to get an idea if Noisy is really Noisy Sorry for asking. I see someone tested the aperture movement like you have.

-- hide signature --

FujiFilm X-E1
| Samyang 8/2.8 FE --- Voigtländer 35/1.4 Nokton --- Zeiss 50/2 Planar
| Pentax Super Takumar 50/1.4 (8E) --- Helios-44 58/2 --- Tair-11A 135/2.8

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads