RX1 on the Amalfi Coast

Started Jul 29, 2013 | Discussions
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,915Gear list
Like?
RX1 on the Amalfi Coast
Jul 29, 2013

I just spent a month on the Amalfi Coast - my wife and I rented apartments for two weeks each in Praiano and Positano. Way more photos of Positano because its a much more interesting town - Praiano's primary asset is its single amazing view from pretty much anywhere, which is represented in a sunset shot, below.

It was an amazing trip, as anyone who's been there can imagine. And I shot myself silly with a few cameras, including the RX1. The most used cameras were the 28mm options (my most natural focal length) with the Nikon Coolpix A (small enough to always be there and an amazingly capable little camera) and a loaner Sigma DP1M, with its insane resolution. Both the RX1 and a Fuji XE1 got quite a bit of use too, at the 35 and 21mm focal lengths. I also had an OMD with the Olympus 75mm lens on it for family candids (a daughter and a mother in law were both with us for chunks of time) and for occasional other light telephoto use, but it rarely left our apartment. I usually only took one camera out at a time, so I was traveling light, at least on a day to day basis. My whole enormous set, using all of the gear, is here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/sets/72157634400642801/

And here are some samples from the RX1:

Unfortunately, I had VERY limited internet bandwidth while there, so all of the uploaded files are small and you can't really see the details, but trust me, they're there! A few are pretty heavily processed, because that's what I tend to do - although I go easier on more RX1 shots than most...

Positano from a boat...

Sunset from our deck in Priano - Positano in the right edge of the photo...

View from our deck in Positano - that's Priano on the point sticking out in right portion of shot.

Ravello

Positano in the evening.

Positano evening near the beach...

Day trip to Capri

Capri

More Positano

Positano is built on stairs...

and more steps...

A lot of money in this town as well, but rich or poor, everyone has to climb the same stairs...

Looking up on one of the few mornings with clouds...

And reflecting on our last evening in town over some wine...

... And a beautiful sunset on the beach...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma DP1 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Maltytasker
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1 on the Amalfi Coast
In reply to Ray Sachs, Jul 29, 2013

Bella!  Wish I was there.

Maltytasker's gear list:Maltytasker's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bronxbombers4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,366
Like?

Nice shots! Musthave been an amazing trip! The Amalfi coast and Capri are some of the most amazing places on Earth! I haven't been there in so long, brings back memories all the same, some places just stick in your head no matter how young you were when you saw them.

jerk store
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
In reply to bronxbombers4, Jul 29, 2013

Outstanding shots!

Jamon47
Regular MemberPosts: 445
Like?

Beautiful pictures. They bring back very good memories... Amalfi, Carpi, Sorento!

Thanks for sharing.

Steve D4 RX 1
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
In reply to Jamon47, Jul 29, 2013

Never been... Some day.

Beautiful images.

As an aside; how would you compare the IQ of the Nikon A versus the RX 1?

I'm a life long Nikon guy but purchased the Sony RX 1 over the"A."
Best,
Steve

Ray Sachs
Like?
In reply to bronxbombers4, Jul 30, 2013

bronxbombers4 wrote:

The Amalfi coast and Capri are some of the most amazing places on Earth! I haven't been there in so long, brings back memories all the same, some places just stick in your head no matter how young you were when you saw them.

Agreed - I like Capri but LOVE the coastal area from Positano down to Amalfi. No place else like it for the combination of natural and man made beauty. I first saw it for about a day and a half back in 2010 and my wife and I instantly decided that of all of the places we saw on that trip, THAT was where we had to go back and spend some time. And now we've had an unbelievable month there!

-Ray

Ray Sachs
Like?
In reply to Steve D4 RX 1, Jul 30, 2013

Steve D4 RX 1 wrote:

Never been... Some day.

Incredible place - I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Beautiful images.

Thanks!

As an aside; how would you compare the IQ of the Nikon A versus the RX 1?

I'm a life long Nikon guy but purchased the Sony RX 1 over the"A."

In terms of IQ, the RX1 and the Sigma DP1M were head and shoulders above anything else I had with me (or anything else I've shot with). The RX1 is great in all conditions. The Sigma is absolutely unbelievable at ISO 100-200 but not much use at all in low light (although you can get some nice B&W out of it in low light if you manipulate the color channels enough).

The Nikon isn't as good, but its still incredibly good. And for an incredibly small camera that easily fits in a pocket, its performance and IQ are really quite amazing. Overall I'd say its my favorite camera, mostly because 28mm is my favorite focal length and I do a lot of street shooting, and the Nikon has a couple of features that I find invaluable for street work. So, I'd say the RX1 is easily better, but the Nikon is more than good enough 95+ percent of the time. Its quite good in low light, just not quite AS good as the RX1. And in good light I'd say its comparable, although its lens, while very good, just isn't quite as sublime as the RX1's lens. If I had to only have one, I'd choose the Nikon because its more suited to more of what I do and I can literally have it with me in pretty much any circumstance. But I'm glad I have both - they're both wonderful cameras and the two I shot with the most on this trip and in general....

Here are a few Nikon shots to show it off in various different contexts:

-Ray

RYKO
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Jul 30, 2013

Very nice!

KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 3,179Gear list
Like?

Beautiful place, great shots, awesome series!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
Krocket
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
In reply to Maltytasker, Jul 30, 2013

Great shots, indeed! I too, love the Amalfi coast- have stayed in Praiano many times- We find it alot quieter than touristy Positano, but they are both amazing for getting awesome shots, day or night. One of the most beautiful areas of the Italian coast! What camera do you believe took the best shots? Thanks for sharing- krocket57

Krocket's gear list:Krocket's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D3300 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS
Ray Sachs
Like?
In reply to Krocket, Jul 30, 2013

Krocket wrote:

Great shots, indeed! I too, love the Amalfi coast- have stayed in Praiano many times- We find it alot quieter than touristy Positano, but they are both amazing for getting awesome shots, day or night. One of the most beautiful areas of the Italian coast!

Praiano is a lot quieter than Positano, which is both good and bad. I liked the laid back feeling of just walking down to the Bar del Sole for an espresso in the morning, a glass of wine or a gelato in the evening. And the beaches are busy enough to be well served, but a lot mellower than those in Positano.

BUT... Its also just a less interesting place. There's less cool architecture. There are walkways and staircases aplenty, but they're just not nearly as interesting as the many many more in Positano. And there's just a nice energy in Positano, particularly if you get away from the central area around the beach where it's ALL TOURISTS, all the time. I'm not claiming to be anything other than a tourist myself, but I really enjoyed staying in Positano up high above Bar International where its mostly locals with just a few longer term tourists mixed in. After a few days there, the locals start treating you like you almost belong.

As a photographer, I found Positano a vastly more interesting place. Praiano has one amazing thing going for it - the view FROM there of the whole coast from Positano out toward Capri. My favorite barista in Positano said that Praiano is a sleepy boring little village and "the nicest thing about Praiano is the view of Positano"! I wouldn't go that far, but I take his point. Overall, I loved both places, but I had more fun walking around and shooting in Positano than in Praiano...

What camera do you believe took the best shots? Thanks for sharing- krocket57

They each had a different job and each did it well. Since 28mm is my most natural focal length, the Nikon Coolpix A and the Sigma DP1M (a loaner I was checking out) probably got the best shots out of me overall. But when I wanted to go wider, the XE1 with the  14mm lens was awesome and when I wanted to go for something a little closer to neutral with stunning IQ, the RX1 got a LOT of work too, particularly in lower light where it was clearly the best of the bunch. The OMD got relatively little work, mostly just there for catching family candids, but it did its job great too. The RX1 is clearly the best all around camera of the bunch, but the Sigma is astounding in good light, the Nikon is a great all-rounder that's just a little behind the RX1 in a focal length that I see more naturally in. And I have a real soft spot for the Fuji colors and that 14mm lens too. I was lucky to have and enjoy some great gear with me!

-Ray

HankK
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
In reply to Steve D4 RX 1, Jul 30, 2013

Wonderful Photos!  I have the Coolpix A and am seriously thinking of getting the RX1.  Any further comments on the two would be appreciated.  This is just the opposite situation of the earlier post.  For example, do you find one or the other better for people/family shots.

-- hide signature --

Hank K
Nikon D600, Fuji XE-1, Coolpix A, Samsung NX20 (former D800E, 5DM2, RX100, GH2 Kit, and Fujifilm X100 shooter)

Kriekira
Senior MemberPosts: 2,197Gear list
Like?
Just thanks. :-)

Very much enjoyed the pictures, and learned from your informed and well-phrased commentary and replies.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

-- Kirby Krieger.

Kriekira's gear list:Kriekira's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
Ray Sachs
Like?
In reply to HankK, Jul 30, 2013

HankK wrote:

Wonderful Photos! I have the Coolpix A and am seriously thinking of getting the RX1. Any further comments on the two would be appreciated. This is just the opposite situation of the earlier post. For example, do you find one or the other better for people/family shots.

Not sure what to say that I haven't already. The RX1 is the best for IQ, DR, low light, etc. And it just reeks of quality (as it should for the price). But  the Nikon isn't far behind in any of these areas. So if you really prefer one focal length or the other, I'd let that guide you.

For me, people/family shots are two entirely different things. I shoot people a lot on the street and for that I prefer 28mm to anything, so I go with the Nikon for that. It also helps that the Nikon has one of the best street shooting setups I've used - the RX1 doesn't. But for family type stuff I usually try to shoot candids with a short to medium telephoto, usually the Olympus OMD with the 75mm lens (150mm equivalent). I've taken some family shots over dinner and generally prefer the Sony to the wider Nikon for that, but they're not that different for that kind of shot.

So, that part's really down to focal length preference rather than one camera being better than the other.

I personally love the combination of the "A" and the RX1, but I really feel a pretty big difference between 28mm and 35mm - some folks don't see much difference there at all, so it might make more sense to have one or the other and put the additional money into something significantly wider or longer. Just down to personal preference on that one...

-Ray

Joe DeVivo
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

Great shots Ray!

Do you think you would have been happy with only the RX1 on the trip?

Also, do you have any experience with the OM-D and the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7? If so, how do you think that compares to the RX1?

Thanks!

jpark1982
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?

Fantastic images.  I can barely manage having one camera on a trip, let alone it seems like you had 5 different ones.  At least that saves you time when contemplating a lens switch.  You just say to yourself '28mm shot, lemme grab the Nikon'.

Ray Sachs
Like?
In reply to Joe DeVivo, Jul 30, 2013

Joe DeVivo wrote:

Great shots Ray!

Thanks!

Do you think you would have been happy with only the RX1 on the trip?

Happy? Maybe happy enough - I once only took an X100 on a (shorter) trip and was OK with it. But if I absolutely had to take just one focal length, I'd choose 28mm, so probably the Nikon "A". But I was glad to have a bit more variety. I usually only took one camera out with me at a time. But some days I wanted that to be the RX1, some days I wanted to go really wide so I took the Fuji w/14mm, and somedays I wanted 28mm and to incorporate some street shooting and I'd take the Nikon. So, maybe happy with just the RX1, but not AS happy.

Also, do you have any experience with the OM-D and the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7? If so, how do you think that compares to the RX1?

I have experience with the OMD (had one on the trip with the 75) and with the Pany 20, but not together. It's really good gear (although the 20 slows down the OMD's lightning fast AF - I'd probably go for the new Oly 17 f1.8 instead), but not as nice as the RX1, or X100s for that matter.  Which is why I'm using fixed lens compacts instead of an ILC With a bunch of lenses.

-Ray

Ray Sachs
Like?
In reply to jpark1982, Jul 30, 2013

jpark1982 wrote:

Fantastic images. I can barely manage having one camera on a trip, let alone it seems like you had 5 different ones. At least that saves you time when contemplating a lens switch. You just say to yourself '28mm shot, lemme grab the Nikon'.

Thats one approach, but I generally just took one camera out with me at a time - one per day for the most part. Although there were a couple of long day trips where I did take a bag with three cameras. I only changed one lens on the trip, and for all of about five minutes.

-Ray

MinouII
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Jul 31, 2013

Nice images, like #3 best - good framing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads