Wireless triggers.

Started Jul 29, 2013 | Discussions
Kevin Cabral
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
Wireless triggers.
Jul 29, 2013

What are some good ones but not those overly expensive pocket wizards... I own a 60D and the wireless transmitter is fine, but I kinda don't want to use the flash to trigger my other flashes. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

 Kevin Cabral's gear list:Kevin Cabral's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,601
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to Kevin Cabral, Jul 29, 2013

I've been very happy with Yongnuo YN-622C Wireless E-TTL Flash Triggers.  A setof two will run your around $85.  They are transceivers meaning that which ever one is on the camera is the sender the others are receivers.  They support E-TTL and manual.  I have four allowing me to use my canon 420 and 580 flashes plus Yongnuo 468 flash.

Andy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kevin Cabral
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to SeaScout851, Jul 29, 2013

SeaScout851 wrote:

I've been very happy with Yongnuo YN-622C Wireless E-TTL Flash Triggers. A setof two will run your around $85. They are transceivers meaning that which ever one is on the camera is the sender the others are receivers. They support E-TTL and manual. I have four allowing me to use my canon 420 and 580 flashes plus Yongnuo 468 flash.

Andy

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying that I'll have to attach one of the receivers to my flash and also on to my hot shoe?

 Kevin Cabral's gear list:Kevin Cabral's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,728
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to Kevin Cabral, Jul 29, 2013

Kevin Cabral wrote:

SeaScout851 wrote:

I've been very happy with Yongnuo YN-622C Wireless E-TTL Flash Triggers. A setof two will run your around $85. They are transceivers meaning that which ever one is on the camera is the sender the others are receivers. They support E-TTL and manual. I have four allowing me to use my canon 420 and 580 flashes plus Yongnuo 468 flash.

Andy

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying that I'll have to attach one of the receivers to my flash and also on to my hot shoe?

Another big thumbs up for the Y622c transceivers.

And yes, that is what you will need to do. Same as with any other radio-based sets.

As the other poster said, the Y622 is a transceiver. That is, a single unit can function as either a transmitter, a receiver, or BOTH. Both? Sure. Any flash unit attached to a 622c can receive the signal to fire. And a camera that is equipped with a 622c can signal other units to fire. But, unlike many other such systems, you can also mount a flash atop the 622c mounted onto your camera.

Note, however, that you must use a camera with built-in wireless flash control. That said, the only purpose is to be able to tell the mounted 622c unit what type of signals to send out to all of the slaves. But everything still works just like normal; whatever settings you normally specify in the menus will all still be available to you. All you do is mount your off-camera flashes onto the 622c units and specify on the transceiver what Group you wish that flash to be (A, B or C), and the frequency channel (typically, you will just leave them on C1).

On an event shoot on Saturday evening, I used six flashes (Yongnuo 565EX), each paired with a 622c wireless controller. Five were off-camera, with the sixth set mounted to my camera's hotshoe. I assigned the five off-camera lights to Group A, and the on-camera light to Group B, and then set a ratio in the camera's menu system to 3:1. For part of the evening, I also just dialed in manual settings, as any off-camera flash appearing in-frame can really throw off exposure. But again, because everything is wireless, even manual settings were easy. I just dialed in 1/8 for my Group A lights and 1/32 for the Group B.

At just $85 for a pair, these things are a bargain. They have functioned flawless for me all season for about 25 weddings so far, and plenty of other portrait sessions, corporate events, and product shoots.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,727Gear list
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Jul 30, 2013

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Note, however, that you must use a camera with built-in wireless flash control.

Are you sure about that? According to LightingRumours, the camera just needs to have the appropriate "Flash Control menus", i.e.

  • 1D Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1Ds Mark III
  • 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III
  • 7D
  • 40D, 50D, 60D
  • 450D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 650D
  • 1000D, 1100D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ktownbill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,015
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to Kevin Cabral, Jul 30, 2013

Kevin Cabral wrote:

What are some good ones but not those overly expensive pocket wizards... I own a 60D and the wireless transmitter is fine, but I kinda don't want to use the flash to trigger my other flashes. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Search this forum and the "Studio and Lighting Technique" for many many posts on this subject.

The 622's are the cats meow right now for radio triggers. Perhaps they are more sophisticated then what you need?  If so there are cheaper ones out there. Also know that the various triggers can be both flash and camera unique. Know the limitations of each.

There is also a new model Yongnuo flash that has the receiver built-in. It is quite inexpensive.

If you want to do multiple flash with variable ratios and ttl then seriously consider the 622's. The 622's also allow hss flash which is quite handy. Again, there are compatibility issues between the various camera bodies and flashes.

Again, I suggest you do a search.

-- hide signature --

Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,730
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to Kevin Cabral, Jul 30, 2013

Hi,

You said:

" .. but I kinda don't want to use the flash to trigger my other flashes .. "

The 60D Controller flash does fire to operate 'Canon Wireless' but, 1) It need not contribute to the captured image and 2) you can even filter out its visible light from its controlling light leaving only the IR.

If the Search function still works around here, try 'Modified SG-3IR'.

Having said that, I use Phottix Odin TTL triggers.

Cheers, Donald

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kevin Cabral
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to ScratchDisk, Jul 30, 2013

ScratchDisk wrote:

Hi,

You said:

" .. but I kinda don't want to use the flash to trigger my other flashes .. "

The 60D Controller flash does fire to operate 'Canon Wireless' but, 1) It need not contribute to the captured image and 2) you can even filter out its visible light from its controlling light leaving only the IR.

If the Search function still works around here, try 'Modified SG-3IR'.

Having said that, I use Phottix Odin TTL triggers.

Cheers, Donald

Thanks for your reply. I'd just prefer a wireless flash trigger to do the job. I mean the camera's wireless trigger is good, but I want better without the need to cover the flash so it doesn't hit my subject.

 Kevin Cabral's gear list:Kevin Cabral's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kevin Cabral
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to ktownbill, Jul 30, 2013

ktownbill wrote:

Kevin Cabral wrote:

What are some good ones but not those overly expensive pocket wizards... I own a 60D and the wireless transmitter is fine, but I kinda don't want to use the flash to trigger my other flashes. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Search this forum and the "Studio and Lighting Technique" for many many posts on this subject.

The 622's are the cats meow right now for radio triggers. Perhaps they are more sophisticated then what you need? If so there are cheaper ones out there. Also know that the various triggers can be both flash and camera unique. Know the limitations of each.

There is also a new model Yongnuo flash that has the receiver built-in. It is quite inexpensive.

If you want to do multiple flash with variable ratios and ttl then seriously consider the 622's. The 622's also allow hss flash which is quite handy. Again, there are compatibility issues between the various camera bodies and flashes.

Again, I suggest you do a search.

-- hide signature --

Bill

Thanks for your reply. I'll check into Yongnuo. I've been hearing good things about them. Currently I own 1 Canon 580ex II. So I'd like a flash that does HSS as well. Do Yongnuo's wireless triggeres allow HSS or no? Off-camera flash photography is something I want to dive in and learn. I'd like to do some studio work in the next couple months where I can make some money. For the longest while I've been doing work with my 1 580ex II, which is a great flash. It's just time to expand my knowledge I suppose.

 Kevin Cabral's gear list:Kevin Cabral's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,728
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to WilbaW, Jul 30, 2013

WilbaW wrote:

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Note, however, that you must use a camera with built-in wireless flash control.

Are you sure about that? According to LightingRumours, the camera just needs to have the appropriate "Flash Control menus", i.e.

  • 1D Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1Ds Mark III
  • 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III
  • 7D
  • 40D, 50D, 60D
  • 450D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 650D
  • 1000D, 1100D

Are you saying something different than me? Yes, the camera must have the built-in flash control menus in order to have wireless flash control. For example, the 30D will not be compatible because it has no built-in capacity for wireless control. Nor, sadly, will the 1D Mark II series bodies, which is why I ultimately had to sell two of mine. But the 40D did include this menu-based control system, and the YN622 units work great with it and others like it (including the unmentioned 6D).

What have I missed?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ktownbill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,015
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to Kevin Cabral, Jul 30, 2013

Kevin Cabral wrote:

ScratchDisk wrote:

Hi,

You said:

" .. but I kinda don't want to use the flash to trigger my other flashes .. "

The 60D Controller flash does fire to operate 'Canon Wireless' but, 1) It need not contribute to the captured image and 2) you can even filter out its visible light from its controlling light leaving only the IR.

If the Search function still works around here, try 'Modified SG-3IR'.

Having said that, I use Phottix Odin TTL triggers.

Cheers, Donald

Thanks for your reply. I'd just prefer a wireless flash trigger to do the job. I mean the camera's wireless trigger is good, but I want better without the need to cover the flash so it doesn't hit my subject.

The 622 will remotely control in full-manual meaning you can set the power in each group. It will also control your remote flashes in ettl and hss flash. You can remotely control the zoom-heads too. The 622 will do this with the ex2 versions of Canon Speedlites and the Yonghuo 568 series.

The Yongnuo flash with the built-in receiver has less functions than the 568, hss being one of them.

The 622 has pass-thru ettl hotshoe allowing you to piggyback another RF trigger even a different model than the 622.

The 622 also has an IR AF-assist beam. I did hear it projects a bit too high when subject is close to camera.

I believe there is a Yongnuo flash that remotely allows manual settings but NOT ettl or hss. And is half the price of the 568.

Others will chime in regarding compatibility with Nissin and Sigma flashes.

I would definitely talk to Scratchdisk about Phottix Odin. A more expensive but very good system and perhaps a bit better functionality in certain shooting parameters. The Yongnuo seems to have more features in general. The price/quality ratio is very good.

Read the full specs in the link.

http://www.yongnuostore.com/product/yongnuo-yn-622c-wireless-ttl-flash-trigger-for-canon/

-- hide signature --

Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,728
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to Kevin Cabral, Jul 30, 2013

Kevin Cabral wrote:

ScratchDisk wrote:

Hi,

You said:

" .. but I kinda don't want to use the flash to trigger my other flashes .. "

The 60D Controller flash does fire to operate 'Canon Wireless' but, 1) It need not contribute to the captured image and 2) you can even filter out its visible light from its controlling light leaving only the IR.

If the Search function still works around here, try 'Modified SG-3IR'.

Having said that, I use Phottix Odin TTL triggers.

Cheers, Donald

Thanks for your reply. I'd just prefer a wireless flash trigger to do the job. I mean the camera's wireless trigger is good, but I want better without the need to cover the flash so it doesn't hit my subject.

Not all flashes support HSS. For example, the 565EX does not. The 568EX, I believe, does.

If you can work within the limitations of the optical-based flash control system, your 60D doesn't have to have the pop-up flash taped up in order to trigger external compatible units. Just select no-firing from the flash menus. The YN656EX flashes are fully ETTL slave capable directly from a 60D without having to have the radio triggers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,727Gear list
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Jul 31, 2013

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Note, however, that you must use a camera with built-in wireless flash control.

Are you sure about that? According to LightingRumours, the camera just needs to have the appropriate "Flash Control menus", i.e.

  • 1D Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1Ds Mark III
  • 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III
  • 7D
  • 40D, 50D, 60D
  • 450D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 650D
  • 1000D, 1100D

Are you saying something different than me? Yes, the camera must have the built-in flash control menus in order to have wireless flash control. For example, the 30D will not be compatible because it has no built-in capacity for wireless control. Nor, sadly, will the 1D Mark II series bodies, which is why I ultimately had to sell two of mine. But the 40D did include this menu-based control system, and the YN622 units work great with it and others like it (including the unmentioned 6D).

What have I missed?

"Wireless flash control" in the Canon context means the camera can act as master to applicable slaves via the built-in flash (it can also be done now with built-in radio but let's not get into that). So basically the 7D and most newer models - 600-700D, 60D, 6D... (but not the 100D), can do wireless flash control.

You're right, all the cameras that can be masters have the "flash control menus", but so do all the others in the above list, like the 40D, which can control a mounted or wired flash from the menus, but it can't control a remote flash wirelessly by itself (you have to attach a master flash, e.g. 580EX II, or a third-party trigger system, e.g. YN 622c).

So the correct statement is - Note, however, that you must use a camera with appropriate "Flash control" menus (e.g. page 140 of the 60D manual or page 115 of the 7D manual).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pritzl
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to SeaScout851, Jul 31, 2013

Dagnabbit! Wish I'd come across this info 2 weeks ago. I was looking for a wireless trigger that allowed full control of slave flashes from the camera menu without breaking the bank with no luck. Ended up getting a really finicky TTL extension cord for almost $50.

 Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pritzl
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to SeaScout851, Jul 31, 2013

Thanks for the tip SeaScout. Just ordered a pair of the Yongnuos. Now the hard part; waiting for delivery.

 Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,867
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to Pritzl, Jul 31, 2013

Pritzl wrote:

Dagnabbit! Wish I'd come across this info 2 weeks ago. I was looking for a wireless trigger that allowed full control of slave flashes from the camera menu without breaking the bank with no luck. Ended up getting a really finicky TTL extension cord for almost $50.

Then you go a "bad" extension cord. It's likely to be defective. I use the Canon extension cord extensively (pun intended). The difference is especially in the HSS. I can get the actual 1/8000s. When I tried the PW, I could "only" get 1/2000s, after that the delays where too big (may be PW have improved the firmware since then) for the HSS to work "properly."

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.sritch.com
Street Photography: The Dogs of Vancouver, BC

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pritzl
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to elfroggio, Jul 31, 2013

elfroggio wrote:

Then you go a "bad" extension cord. It's likely to be defective.

Possibly. I went the 3rd-party route (Vello) to get something longer than the Canon one (10m) for less. ($50 vs $70) Tried to cut a corner and got injured.

It does work mind you. I just have to play with the flash hot-shoe attachment for a while to get it correctly seated. I think the tolerances for that section are sub-standard because others using the same brand cord have varying experiences from ecstatic to fuming. I'm somewhere in the middle; there's some spittle in the corner of my mouth. 

I had initially wanted wireless anyway but was turned off by the fact that a full functionality trigger would set me back almost $300 to $450 a pair. To find something comparable for a quarter of the price is incredible.

 Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
win123vn
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to WilbaW, 6 months ago

WilbaW wrote:

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Note, however, that you must use a camera with built-in wireless flash control.

Are you sure about that? According to LightingRumours, the camera just needs to have the appropriate "Flash Control menus", i.e.

  • 1D Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1Ds Mark III
  • 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III
  • 7D
  • 40D, 50D, 60D
  • 450D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 650D
  • 1000D, 1100D

Are you saying something different than me? Yes, the camera must have the built-in flash control menus in order to have wireless flash control. For example, the 30D will not be compatible because it has no built-in capacity for wireless control. Nor, sadly, will the 1D Mark II series bodies, which is why I ultimately had to sell two of mine. But the 40D did include this menu-based control system, and the YN622 units work great with it and others like it (including the unmentioned 6D).

What have I missed?

"Wireless flash control" in the Canon context means the camera can act as master to applicable slaves via the built-in flash (it can also be done now with built-in radio but let's not get into that). So basically the 7D and most newer models - 600-700D, 60D, 6D... (but not the 100D), can do wireless flash control.

You're right, all the cameras that can be masters have the "flash control menus", but so do all the others in the above list, like the 40D, which can control a mounted or wired flash from the menus, but it can't control a remote flash wirelessly by itself (you have to attach a master flash, e.g. 580EX II, or a third-party trigger system, e.g. YN 622c).

So the correct statement is - Note, however, that you must use a camera with appropriate "Flash control" menus (e.g. page 140 of the 60D manual or page 115 of the 7D manual).

Hi bro

I'd like to know, which function of YN 622C I could not use in 1D Mark ii?  that is all

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,727Gear list
Like?
Re: Wireless triggers.
In reply to win123vn, 6 months ago

win123vn wrote:

Hi bro

G'day cobber.

I'd like to know, which function of YN 622C I could not use in 1D Mark ii? that is all

All I know is what it says on LightingRumours  - "you will have to make settings by hand". That suggests to me that the flash will fire via the 622s, but you will have to make all the flash settings on the flash unit itself, IOW, you won't be able to set anything on the flash from the camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads