Recording aperture of legacy lens

Started Jul 28, 2013 | Discussions
pen araneae New Member • Posts: 18
Recording aperture of legacy lens

For a long time I took photos with legacy lens without a record of what lens or aperture used. I regret that since I started participating in DPReview Challenges which require such info. It sounds silly but only now I figure out the best way to record such vital info is using the voice recording feature provided by my camera! In my case it is the OM-D. Simply, when viewing a picture in playback mode, press the OK button and start voice recording. The recorded sound will play back together with the image subsequently. I just wonder if other legacy lens users do the same.

pen araneae's gear list:pen araneae's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +1 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 39,493
Re: Recording aperture of legacy lens

pen araneae wrote:

For a long time I took photos with legacy lens without a record of what lens or aperture used. I regret that since I started participating in DPReview Challenges which require such info. It sounds silly but only now I figure out the best way to record such vital info is using the voice recording feature provided by my camera! In my case it is the OM-D. Simply, when viewing a picture in playback mode, press the OK button and start voice recording. The recorded sound will play back together with the image subsequently. I just wonder if other legacy lens users do the same.

What's the workflow like for listening/recording the aperture in the EXIF field?    Offhand, in a LR import workflow, I'm of the impression that the audio files are not readily available (and I'm not home at the computer to flesh it out).   I hope I'm wrong, as I'm using MF glass more and more (not only to record the set aperture, but the lens itself).

One of the reasons I like third party MF lenses is about slowing me down (akin to the benefits of being slowed down by a tripod), but I don't slow down enough to take out a pad/pen or Phone to record missing shot specs.   I had tried the voice memo thing a few years ago with DSLRs, but wasn't able to sort out a practical workflow (or, rather, wasn't patient enough to do so).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4
JimLindner
JimLindner Senior Member • Posts: 1,308
Re: Recording aperture of legacy lens

I have a Panasonic now and miss this Olympus feature which I also used to describe things about the scene. Now, I either write it down or bring a small voice recorder along and shoot blacked out frame between f-stop changes so I know where they are.

Not very elegant solution but gets the job done. I then use Lens Tagger and load the Exif information into Lightroom.

-- hide signature --

Regards Jim
We All Need Water!

JimLindner's gear list:JimLindner's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads