Brightness on XZ-1 screen is very poor. Is VF-2 worth it?

Started Jul 28, 2013 | Discussions
THenrich
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Brightness on XZ-1 screen is very poor. Is VF-2 worth it?
Jul 28, 2013

I bought an 'almost new' XZ-1 camera and I am very unhappy with the screen brightness. I can't see anything in bright daylight. I am taking shots and have no idea what they look like. The info button doesn't have any effect in boosting the brightness. I have the bright set to max. I think I have faulty camera?

I am thinking of getting the VF-2 viewfinder mainly so I see and focus on objects. Is it worth $250? I find this a lot of money. Will the viewfinder work in bright daylights?

Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Allen in Bethesda, MD
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: Brightness on XZ-1 screen is very poor. Is VF-2 worth it?
In reply to THenrich, Jul 29, 2013

I bought the EVF-2 when I bought my XZ-1.  In my opinion, it is definitely worth having - both for composing photos and for use in bright light.  You might shop around for pricing on before purchasing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
In reply to Allen in Bethesda, MD, Jul 29, 2013

I would look at a VF3 as well , about $100 cheaper than the VF2 although lower resolution.Also locks onto camera body unlike the VF2. Would hestitate to put down $250 for an accessory on a second hand P&S compact.

you can get a brand new pentax mx-1 for $399 with same lens higher resolution  tilt screen newer sensor etc.

Aaron

RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,826Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aaron Sur, Jul 29, 2013

the Pentax by all accounts I have seen is a fine camera but there is NO viewfinder option there and the tilting screen, although it will help in some scenarios, will not help in all. I have an XZ-2, which like the Pentax has a tilting screen and I still find the VF-2 incredibly useful.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,826Gear list
Like?

I have a XZ-2 and find the VF 2 very helpful in bright sunlight situations even though the XZ-2 has a tilting LCD. You should find it very helpful too. However, it is pricey so shop around and consider getting one used or consider the vf-3 as another poster indicated (and don't look at the vf-4 or you will just be in a double quandry as it is superior in every way to both the VF-2 and VF-3 and is even pricier).  I already had the VF-2 when I got my XZ-2 since I also have a PEN, so the view finder does double duty for me.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
tanniewu
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?

I have XZ-1 for nearly 2 yrs, and then now I mainly use XZ-2. I seldom use VF-3 on it... in reality I don't find much difficulty in seeing the LCD even in bright sunlight when I have to turn on the ND filter.  I don't even need to turn up the brightness of the screen either. I have the wonder perhaps your camera really have some problem with it??

-- hide signature --

TWu
E-M5, HLD-6, GX1, XZ-1, XZ-2, TG-1, VF-3, FL-50R, FL-300R, FL-600R
9-18, 12-35, 12-50, 35-100, 100-300, 25/1.4, 45/1.8
Pentacon 50/1.8 (m42)

tanniewu's gear list:tanniewu's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +14 more
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,592
Like?
In reply to tanniewu, Jul 29, 2013

I wonder if the main problem with the XZ-1 is it has an Amoled screen. Whilst these are bright and colourful indoors they do seem to fade away outdoors. When I had a XZ-1 I also had a Nikon P7100 and always found it ironic that the camera with the OVF had the easier LCD to use outdoors. I find the Samsung Amoled screen on my EX2f is equally poor. I currently have an E-PL2 which definitely needs the VF-3 outdoors. The VF3 is useful for framing but I do not think the colours and brightness match the image you get.

I believe the XZ-2 has an LCD which probably improves visibility. I do wonder given the different reactions people have to rear displays if people actually do have different abilities to see these screens. My blue eyes have light coloured irises and I wonder if these being more transparent and hence less efficient at stopping down the light cause problems in bright light conditions with discriminating between reflection and screen image. It is a bit like having a camera with semi transparent aperture blades which I am sure would hit the IQ a bit. Possibly for this and other reasons some of us struggle without viewfinders and others do not.

tanniewu wrote:

I have XZ-1 for nearly 2 yrs, and then now I mainly use XZ-2. I seldom use VF-3 on it... in reality I don't find much difficulty in seeing the LCD even in bright sunlight when I have to turn on the ND filter. I don't even need to turn up the brightness of the screen either. I have the wonder perhaps your camera really have some problem with it??

-- hide signature --

TWu
E-M5, HLD-6, GX1, XZ-1, XZ-2, TG-1, VF-3, FL-50R, FL-300R, FL-600R
9-18, 12-35, 12-50, 35-100, 100-300, 25/1.4, 45/1.8
Pentacon 50/1.8 (m42)

Ken Gosden
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
In reply to THenrich, Jul 30, 2013

I have used the VF-3 with both my XZ-1 and more my new XZ-2.  Bought it during last year's black Friday sales.  If your goal is composition and focusing, not color accuracy, then it is a very cost effective option.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
In reply to RaymondR, Jul 30, 2013

I just went to the B&H site and compared the pricing between the VF2, VF3 , pentax and the Olympus XZ-2, the pentax was two hundred dollars cheaper than the olympus, and I am aware that it does not take the VF finders which jacks the price up further.

I could be wrong here but the reason the OP was looking at the VF finders was to salvage his XZ-1 which is hard to use due to the OLED screen.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to THenrich, Aug 15, 2013

Hi there,

Yes the VF2 is definitely worth the money.  I struggle with all screens as I need glasses to see the detail.  The VF2 gives plenty of detail and has a diopter adjustment as well.  I leave it on all the time.  It is just like using a DSLR but without the bulk and it is good magnification as well.  The XZ1 has proved its worth to me as a very versatile convenient camera producing great quality shots especially when you consider the size of the CCD sensor.

OM mani padme hum
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
In reply to Christiana Raphael, Aug 25, 2013

When I bought my XZ-1 I already had the VF-2, as I'd previously used with my E-PL1. I've rarely used the XZ-1 without the EVF, and the fact that it would accept it was one of the reasons for my purchase. In bright light (like skiing) it makes all the difference to being able to see what's happening, and in low light it's much easier to brace the camera when against the forehead at low shutter speeds. Yes, the EVF makes it a bit more difficult to fit in a pocket, but by preference buy clothing with large-ish chest pockets, so that's not usually a problem for me.

The new Panasonic LF1 is also interesting as it manages to include a (lower-resolution) EVF and a 28-200 equivalent lens in a smaller form factor. There are compromises., but it's an interesting option.

IcanHazPics
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
In reply to THenrich, Aug 28, 2013

I too had problems with the screen in sunlight, so I bought a used VF-2, about $160 if I recall correctly; I wouldn't go out without the VF-2 anymore. Mind you, I would not have paid the $250+tx they ask for in stores around here.

As everyone said, it's great for composition, much better than using the screen, and also adds lots of stability to your camera while taking shots. On the down side it does add bulk, and my XZ-1 won't fit in my SNAP-R bag anymore.

IcanHazPics's gear list:IcanHazPics's gear list
Olympus XZ-1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads