Nikon D600 dynamic range is insane (examples)

Started Jul 27, 2013 | Discussions
ZAnton
Contributing MemberPosts: 581Gear list
Like?
Nikon D600 dynamic range is insane (examples)
Jul 27, 2013

Last holidays I was on Corsica and made some really high DR photos.

Here are some examples.

Original photo:

With +3EV gradient and shadows pulling in LR:

Similar adjustments here:

This is the another example:

Exposure +3.5

Shadows, Blacks +100

Whites, Highlights -100

Clarity +40, Contrast +95:

Here the photo was made out of a cave to a bright sunny day.

Exposure +0.9 Shadows +100 Blacks +95

Here also completely dark cave vs bright sunny day.

Exposure +1.5, shadows +85, blacks +10

Even though I do have some spots on the sensor (it was already cleaned once, I will send it again soon) I do not regret that I switched from 5D mk2 to Nikon.

I mean, Canon fanboys are claiming, that there is no use of high DR. "EXPOSE PROPERLY!"- BS. But I do use it very often, and I like photos I get. So here are some "real" photos, not lab-experiments.
I don't even want to think about how much noise Canon would give me after  "Shadows +100, blacks +100".

ZAnton's gear list:ZAnton's gear list
Nikon D600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D600 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,362Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D600 dynamic range is insane (examples)
In reply to ZAnton, Jul 27, 2013

Same with D800: Incredibly useful low ISO dynamic range. You can seemingly endlessly excavate shadows.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188
Like?
Dead colour

ZAnton wrote:

Last holidays I was on Corsica and made some really high DR photos.

Here are some examples.

Original photo:

With +3EV gradient and shadows pulling in LR:

Similar adjustments here:

This is the another example:

Exposure +3.5

Shadows, Blacks +100

Whites, Highlights -100

Clarity +40, Contrast +95:

Here the photo was made out of a cave to a bright sunny day.

Exposure +0.9 Shadows +100 Blacks +95

Here also completely dark cave vs bright sunny day.

Exposure +1.5, shadows +85, blacks +10

Even though I do have some spots on the sensor (it was already cleaned once, I will send it again soon) I do not regret that I switched from 5D mk2 to Nikon.

I mean, Canon fanboys are claiming, that there is no use of high DR. "EXPOSE PROPERLY!"- BS. But I do use it very often, and I like photos I get. So here are some "real" photos, not lab-experiments.
I don't even want to think about how much noise Canon would give me after "Shadows +100, blacks +100".

Notice how the area's you pulled look totally dead colour and tonality wise? They are literally horrible to my eyes. It's (DR) is good. But not good enough for you to do this to the shots...

ZAnton
Like?
Re: Dead colour
In reply to primeshooter, Jul 27, 2013

on the last photo with cave -  yes, but i didn't bothered to work on the color there.

Nikon D600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?

The D600 and D800 have amazing dynamic range. Many a time I have salvaged photos which I butchered the exposure.

primeshooter
Like?

ZAnton wrote:

on the last photo with cave - yes, but i didn't bothered to work on the color there.

Not just the last photo, all of them. It's just particularly bad. You cannot really "work" on the colour, it'll never be the same. It's lost...forever

Andre Affleck
Senior MemberPosts: 2,077
Like?

ZAnton wrote:

on the last photo with cave - yes, but i didn't bothered to work on the color there.

Not just the last photo, all of them. It's just particularly bad. You cannot really "work" on the colour, it'll never be the same. It's lost...forever

It's hard to say. The Fill and Hightlght sliders on most raw converters adversely affect color with even normally exposed images, let alone pushed ones. It's how the tonality curve is being compressed non-linearly while trying to maintain continuity across tonal regions. Not neccessarily the fault of the camera. If you instead develop 2 images separately with linear exposure pushes, and combine them by hand, it improves the color response. It would be interesting to see how they would look if the OP did it this way instead.

LarsDalsbo
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?

primeshooter wrote:

ZAnton wrote:

Of course you can! Color is never "lost", there are many ways of bringing colors back to life

TITCHY
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012Gear list
Like?
In reply to LarsDalsbo, Jul 27, 2013

no comment,

Benjamin Kanarek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,184Gear list
Like?
In reply to TITCHY, Jul 27, 2013
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,253Gear list
Like?

primeshooter wrote:

ZAnton wrote:

First, ask yourself what the equivalent Canon shot would look like....then we can really have a discussion. 

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
The Davinator
Like?
In reply to Benjamin Kanarek, Jul 27, 2013

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

In a word "WOW!"

Yup.  If this had been done with a Canon 5D3, it would have looked like a total disaster.

Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
ZAnton
Like?
In reply to primeshooter, Jul 28, 2013

primeshooter wrote:

ZAnton wrote:

Don't take it too seriously, but we have a saying: a pig will always find a mud.

Yes, the more you pull the shadows, the more you lose precision in color. What a surprise!

The photo in cave was made in extreme conditions. -5EV from what the exposure meter showed, and then pulling blacks and shadows.

O my God, after that the color is not precise!!! One can not kick the colors so, that his eyes will bleed?! Who on earth would expect this?!

The photo is usable. Clearly it is not an "award winning photo", and it is never meant to be. I made it on a shaky rotating boat between 30 tourist heads running around.

Another option - one can make the photo in flat B&W like you do

BasiliskPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 712
Like?
In reply to reginalddwight, Jul 28, 2013

I almost never bother with exposure compensation on this camera (compared to previous ones) as I am fairly confident that I can tweak in post without penalty - maybe just a nudge down if the highlights look very strong. Having said that, matrix metering seems to choose correctly more often than not.

primeshooter
Like?
In reply to The Davinator, Jul 28, 2013

Dave Luttmann wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

ZAnton wrote:

First, ask yourself what the equivalent Canon shot would look like....then we can really have a discussion.

Don't dispute that, the colour is still awful in these severely underexposed shots. I do this but nowhere near to the same extremes.

The Davinator
Like?
In reply to primeshooter, Jul 28, 2013

primeshooter wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

ZAnton wrote:

Don't dispute that, the colour is still awful in these severely underexposed shots. I do this but nowhere near to the same extremes.

That's the point.  With the Nikon, we at least have a useable picture.  I agree, there is tonal and color truncation because of the limited bit depth at that level.  That said, the same image from a Canon body wold be unuseable.

rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,477Gear list
Like?
In reply to ZAnton, Jul 28, 2013

ZAnton wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

ZAnton wrote:

Don't take it too seriously, but we have a saying: a pig will always find a mud.

Yes, the more you pull the shadows, the more you lose precision in color. What a surprise!

The photo in cave was made in extreme conditions. -5EV from what the exposure meter showed, and then pulling blacks and shadows.

O my God, after that the color is not precise!!! One can not kick the colors so, that his eyes will bleed?! Who on earth would expect this?!

The photo is usable. Clearly it is not an "award winning photo", and it is never meant to be. I made it on a shaky rotating boat between 30 tourist heads running around.

Another option - one can make the photo in flat B&W like you do

I agree, even when one loses some color and contrast, as expected (you are dealing with 2-3 bits range in some areas), it's amazing how much info one still has available, and with no banding and weird artifacts. The Sony sensors are the cream of the crop still, no doubt about that.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
inyan PG
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to BasiliskPhoto, 2 months ago

Me to Agree with this . Nikon D600 Has well Dynamic Rang.

inyan PG's gear list:inyan PG's gear list
Nikon D600
_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,261
Like?
In reply to Andre Affleck, 2 months ago

Andre Affleck wrote:

It's hard to say. The Fill and Hightlght sliders on most raw converters adversely affect color with even normally exposed images, let alone pushed ones. It's how the tonality curve is being compressed non-linearly while trying to maintain continuity across tonal regions. Not neccessarily the fault of the camera. If you instead develop 2 images separately with linear exposure pushes, and combine them by hand, it improves the color response.

This doesn't always work. Works when you've got some bright highlights, some deep shadows to lift, and nothing in between; and can do two exposures. But if you've got a more "balanced" wide-DR scene with the histogram filled at all levels, it gets more difficult to keep the image lively and colours reasonable while squeezing the scene DR of say 12+ stops to the output viewable 8 stops. LR is quite effective, but can't do miracles. Local adjustments (like sw grad ND, manual dodging and burning) may help further sometimes. This wouldn't be a problem if we had wide-DR displays.

For similar wide-DR images, when shadows need to be lifted and highlights are less important, for quick adjustment in LR I often sink Highlights, lift Exposure, then lift Shadows further if required, but reduce Blacks a bit to bring back some contrast and reduce noise in the shadows. I'd expect that reducing Highlights should have a similar effect at the other end, but mostly I can't seem to get much use of it for some reason (?).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads