Best photo editor to use with a Nexus 7?

Started Jul 26, 2013 | Questions
craniac
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Best photo editor to use with a Nexus 7?
Jul 26, 2013

My brother is an awesome guy and I want to buy him a good photo editing app to use on his Nexus 7 tablet.  It's not the one that just came out.  I see a lot of free options but I'd like to get him something photo-shoppish.  I am an ipad owner and like Laminar, for example.  Is Snapseed the best choice still, or is there something a little more technical available?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
jnrob
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?
Re: Best photo editor to use with a Nexus 7?
In reply to craniac, Jul 27, 2013

Photoshop Touch is great to work with layers, highly recommended.

Snapseed is also higly recommended with its localized adjustments. I believe that the Android 4.3 Gallery Photo Editor is simpler and has also that feature .

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
In reply to craniac, Jul 30, 2013

Good question. I asked myself the exact same question last week. I bought a Chromebook and a Nexus 4 about a year ago and now the only thing I use my Windows laptop for is editing photos with Lightroom. I would like to eliminate Windows from my life entirely. I am not a Windows hater, in fact I love Windows and I have been using it since 2.1 in 1987. However the future for me is Google.

So a week ago I decided I was going to explore the possibilities of photo editing on a Nexus 10. However I decided to start with a first gen Nexus 7 used that was really cheap. If I can get it to work and love the results I will upgrade to a Nexus 10 when the second gen comes out in a few months.

So the first question you need to ask your brother is does he shoot RAW. If he does that is going to drastically limit the number of potential editing programs that will work for him. Most of the editors are really just for editing the jpgs shot with the phone's camera or the tablets camera and have no RAW support.

However I did find Photo Mate Professional. Not only does it work, I am really in love. It costs $3.99 for the program and $1.13 for the RAW plugin. If he is using Lightroom right now he won't even need to read the instruction manual. The program contains a clone of the Lightroom Develop module. The photo is on the left and on the right are the same controls in the same order as in LR. I almost had a heart attack. There is a God in heaven. I have been using Lightroom since Beta and that is the fact there was no official Lightroom Android app is what has been keeping me from trying this sooner.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tsgames.pictureinfo&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tssystems.photomate.raw&hl=en

Now the next problem is getting the shots from the DSLR (or whatever) into the tablet (assuming that is what he wants to do). You need a special USB OTG cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00932N46S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then you will need the Nexus Media Importer to assist with the importing:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en

All four items will cost you around $20 total. I have just got everything except the cable which will arrive in a few days. Then I will probably have more to add to this if this avenue is of interest to you.

-- hide signature --

My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

Selena C
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to craniac, Aug 1, 2013

Hi Craniac, there is lot of option you may found on google.. But I'd always prefer Nexus 7 tablet.. You are in the right way.. Go ahead..

joey_B
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,080
Like?
In reply to craniac, Aug 1, 2013

Photo-editing on a touch device? Mhhh...

I wouldn't expect a real editing app to work nicely on a tablet. For 'fun' editing I use Pixlr express. That's free and gives quick nice results.

Ken Gosden
Contributing MemberPosts: 829Gear list
Like?
In reply to joey_B, Aug 1, 2013

joey_B wrote:

Photo-editing on a touch device? Mhhh...

I wouldn't expect a real editing app to work nicely on a tablet. For 'fun' editing I use Pixlr express. That's free and gives quick nice results.

Plus 1 for Pixlr Express.  Also like SnapSeed, Googles latest updates to the standard photo gallery editor include a curves tool.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
halc
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?
In reply to Ken Gosden, Aug 2, 2013

Photoshop is horrible, requiring license checks and not always working. Cloud based license checks suck big time, unless you are on WiFi all the time.

Snapseed is good for 90% of the stuff you need, unless you need lots of editing (masking, filters, proper curves, layers, channels). In that case, Photoshop on desktop is much faster/easier than twiddling on the tablet.

DavidF
Regular MemberPosts: 334
Like?
In reply to halc, 11 months ago

I don't think you have to license Photoshop Touch on the Android device. I use it for most of my editing.

Snapseed maybe be a competent app, but I prefer the interface and the layering in PS Touch. Snapseed--like so many other Google-owned apps--always comes across like either a display at Toys-R-Us or a bill board at Times Square, which just bugs me.

Along with PS Touch, I use the following apps to round out my image viewing/editing on my tablet:

• Photo Editor to batch resize my image files, since the JPEGs from my camera are way too big for what I need for editing on my Nexus 7.
  • x-plore file manager, to create folders, move and copy files on my tablet
  • Nexus Media Importer for copying image files onto my device;
  • QuickPic photo viewer/gallery which I like much better than the generic Gallery app on my tablet. One cool feature is it lets you rotate images from within app while viewing them.

I generally like PS Touch, but wish it had a view other features and some interface changes. I keep suggesting these on the Adobe website, but I'm thinking they are marketing this app to the general public, not so much to serious photographers, so I don't think they'll ever consider my suggestions. But maybe Adobe will surprise me

David

halc wrote:

Photoshop is horrible, requiring license checks and not always working. Cloud based license checks suck big time, unless you are on WiFi all the time.

Snapseed is good for 90% of the stuff you need,

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads