Started Jul 26, 2013 | Discussions
dmartin92
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515Gear list
Like?
Re: Without Wifi or 3G
In reply to mosswings, Aug 3, 2013

mosswings wrote:

dmartin92 wrote:

nobody is talking about an iPad that has no ability to connect to a WiFi network, all that is being talked about is those situations where there is no WiFi network (or 3G) to connect to.

Ah. I misunderstood your comment. I agree. There are certain situations in which a standalone tablet is useful (reading books on a plane, etc.), but in the main it is basically a form of simple computer terminal and is designed to be connected to the cloud for most of its utility.

Yes, Coolsiggy was saying iPads become toys without any Internet access, and I was merely saying that all tablets become much, much less useful without Internet access.

Tablets now are a big success thanks to wireless access. Other tablets, 15 years ago, they failed. But now with wireless Internet so common, they are a big success.

You could still make of list of some things you can still do without Internet access, but without it, a big, big chunk of their usefulness is gone.

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seeblue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,303
Like?
In reply to dmartin92, Aug 3, 2013

Hmm, reading books and PDF's, composing and editing documents, spreadsheets, presentations, planning/scheduling, editing images, uploading/downloading data from "cards/drives", sketching/drawing, listening to music/podcasts, off-line reading (news and information), watching video, taking pictures, playing games and running a suite of standalone applications of your choice; there's a lot to do without any connectivity. It's just like it's always been with a PC/Mac with no network.

If posting or up/downloading stuff on-line, reading stuff live, email, and voice/video messaging, are your only idea of "useful", yea, I guess a tablet without cellular is a paperweight. But the fact is there are way more uses for a tablet than only as a communication platform.

Just because almost anyone can use a finger to operate a tablet, doesn't really give one a license to drive. A lot of users buy tablets without any idea of their capabilities or any idea what to do with them.  And no one reads the user guide. That's part of the reason so many of them are laying around collecting dust.

dmartin92
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515Gear list
Like?
In reply to seeblue, Aug 3, 2013

seeblue wrote:

Hmm, reading books and PDF's, composing and editing documents, spreadsheets, presentations, planning/scheduling, editing images, uploading/downloading data from "cards/drives", sketching/drawing, listening to music/podcasts, off-line reading (news and information), watching video, taking pictures, playing games and running a suite of standalone applications of your choice; there's a lot to do without any connectivity. It's just like it's always been with a PC/Mac with no network.

Well ... I guess that I was waiting for somebody to say that. And I guess that I can at least acknowledge that it is a valid point of view.

But it's a point of view that I don't agree with.

Reading books and PDFs, that I agree with.

Listening to music/podcasts, that I agree with.

Watching video ... that one I'll just dodge. No comment.

And, "composing and editing documents, spreadsheets, presentations, planning/scheduling, editing images, uploading/downloading data from "cards/drives", sketching/drawing" ... that I disagree with.

Some more than others ... editing documents, spreadsheets, and presentation ... for me, tablets aren't really good for that. Tablets are really awful for that. Only if there was no other choice.

But I can acknowledge that others may look at the issue differently.

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Cyril Catt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,228
Like?
Re: The new Nexus 7
In reply to Coolsiggy, Aug 4, 2013

Coolsiggy wrote: [...] iPad 4-64 [...] too limited, in fact without Wifi or 3G available (real World) it becomes a toy . I [...] insist on full host and uSD. The one thing I noted with the iPad is for home use the larger screen is best. I believe that the <8" tablets are best for travel and in most cases the need for ultra high dpi is not a high priority. I just wish manufacturers would support Android upgrades better..., I guess that could impact on new sales?

I agree

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Cyril Catt
Like?
Re: The new Nexus 7
In reply to seilerbird666, Aug 4, 2013

seilerbird666 wrote: [...] As far as a micro SD slot goes I personally fail to see the need. You have essentially unlimited storage online available to anyone. I don't need to have more that 32 gigs stored locally.

Unfortunately, essentially unlimited storage online is not available to anyone: not in some locations, and not necessarily cost free. Though, of course, your storage in the cloud may be available to others, whilst local storage may be less accessible.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Athegn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,129Gear list
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Aug 4, 2013

Just spent a few days where only expensive wifi was available. Using OTG cable I was able to upload RAW images to my tablet for free!

Athegn's gear list:Athegn's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,082Gear list
Like?
In reply to Athegn, Aug 5, 2013

Athegn wrote:

Just spent a few days where only expensive wifi was available. Using OTG cable I was able to upload RAW images to my tablet for free!

The wireless at least I've been talking about with regards to backing up memory cards is a LOCAL wireless link provided by a wireless external storage/hub device, such as the Kingston Mobilelite or any of the Wifi-enabled portable HDDs out there.  If your tablet supports OTG transfers, great.  But the iPads and Nexus(es?) of the world generally don't (with exceptions), so these inexpensive local wifi enabled devices are a platform agnostic way of backing up.  No linkage to the cloud over a pay wifi hotspot is required.

They're a bit more expensive than an OTG cable and a card reader, but ya gotta use what the tablet will support...

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Cyril Catt
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Aug 6, 2013

mosswings wrote:

Athegn wrote:

The wireless at least I've been talking about with regards to backing up memory cards is a LOCAL wireless link provided by a wireless external storage/hub device, such as the Kingston Mobilelite or any of the Wifi-enabled portable HDDs out there. If your tablet supports OTG transfers, great. But the iPads and Nexus(es?) of the world generally don't (with exceptions), so these inexpensive local wifi enabled devices are a platform agnostic way of backing up. No linkage to the cloud over a pay wifi hotspot is required.

They're a bit more expensive than an OTG cable and a card reader, but ya gotta use what the tablet will support...

Although the Nexus has the advantage of backing by Google - for quicker Android updates, fewer unnecessary preloaded apps, and better designed essential apps - there seem to be a large number of similar-sized Android tablets with microSD slots and USB connectivity, making it easier to directly swap files between cards, thumb drives or simple HDDs, possibly at faster rates than wifi, and without the need for a wireless hub.

However, rapid technological change also means that many users who have already invested in a particular system may find it more logical to extend the kit they have, rather than start anew when hindsight reveals a better current system 

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Athegn
Like?
In reply to Cyril Catt, Aug 6, 2013

"...They're a bit more expensive than an OTG cable and a card reader, but ya gotta use what the tablet will support..."

Agree. The Nexus "problem" hit as as well. My sister-in-law came on holiday with us with her new Nexus 7, version 1, I think. I was transferring photos from my camera to my and my wife's Galaxy tablets. She wanted some on her Nexus. It was then that we found that my OTG cable would not work. We left matters there but on our return I investigated and found the reason. She is now looking into this.

Also on my return I found that a friend had been given a Nexus 7 by his family; I don't know what criteria they used for choosing it. We will now have to find some work around as him and I regularly swap files via a memory stick and our laptops. His laptop was to be retired with his tablet taking its place? He is now looking at various options!

seeblue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,303
Like?
In reply to Athegn, Aug 6, 2013

Wireless networks are almost everywhere, even while traveling (if you have a little patience). This opens up many possibilities for transferring files over wireless between tablets, smartphones and PC/Macs of all sizes and shapes. A tablet with 3G/4G LTE opens up more possibilities.

You don't need a dongle, cable, hub or anything. What you need is an app on the mobile device(s). A PC/Mac don't need anything as they come ready to go. With the right app(s) you transfer files using WebDAV, HTTPS, FTP, Bluetooth, etc. The app Photo Transfer App is probably one of the oldest and simplest. Take a look at how simple this is to use:

http://phototransferapp.com/

My impression is a lot of users have little experience/knowledge about performing file transfers between devices over wireless, but once figured out it becomes about as quick and easy as any other method of file transfer.

Athegn
Like?
In reply to seeblue, Aug 6, 2013

"..My impression is a lot of users have little experience/knowledge about performing file transfers between devices over wireless..."

I do know how to transfer files by wireless but I often am in places where there is no wifi when I need to effect the transfer.

The last case I mentioned occcurs in a place that is off the beaten track and has no wifi and almost no 3G signal; the times we meet where there is wifi we are not carrying our laptops. Perhaps I should keep to civilisation more so I can do the transfers?

I have a sig, on another forum which is:-

"smartphones are dumbphones without a connection"

I say this from experience.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads