XZ-1 full digital zoom samples?

Started Jul 25, 2013 | Discussions
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,956Gear list
Like?
XZ-1 full digital zoom samples?
Jul 25, 2013

I've been hearing that this camera is better than average within that "forbidden" digital zoom territory.  Does anyone have some samples to post showing how it acts in that "zone"?

Would that give it 16X zoom potential?  Thanks.

Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Aaron Sur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041
Like?
Re: XZ-1 full digital zoom samples?
In reply to BobT, Jul 25, 2013

Hi Bob,

second image is digital telephoto at maximum setting, just tried it to see what it was like, normally it is unavailable beacause it is disabled when any of the Raw image settings are on. Not upto my image quality requirements for regular use, but I did not expect it to be.

Aaron

Airport LHI

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,956Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aaron Sur, Jul 26, 2013

I see what you mean, Aaron.  Lots of "smearing" in the higher detailed areas such as the trees.

Not a technique that I would think to use.  Just heard of folks that seemed happy with it.  I'd have to say "for emergency use only".

Thanks for the test shot.

joe6pack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, Jul 26, 2013

There is no magic about digital zoom. You can't get something out of nothing. You can reconstruct the image using RAW file and get better result. But... Digital Zoom has the advantage of automatic metering. So you get more accurately exposed image.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads