Hummingbirds with K-5IIs and DA*300

Started Jul 25, 2013 | Discussions
BudOhio
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,135Gear list
Like?
Hummingbirds with K-5IIs and DA*300
Jul 25, 2013

While the hummingbird numbers seem to be down a little from previous seasons, this has been a very good year for me with the local population.  As many of you know, I'm a bit obsessed with these magnificent little flying wonders and have spent the past 8 years working to create a habitat to attract them to my yard.  The efforts paid off this spring with, not one, but 2 nests being constructed in my yard   The first, which was perfectly positioned just outside my bedroom window was, unfortunately... abandoned.  The mother's second location choice, however, was in an ash tree 20 feet away in my front yard 

Below are a few of the images I've been able to capture since this all started back in May...and I love the K-5IIs, by the way

The first nest...not yet complete... seemed to have attracted too much attention from jealous rivals ...

So, she relocated...and moved uptown

Where she raised two fine youngsters...

That grew and grew...until the nest became just a little too crowded.

And, then there was one for the mom to care for, which she did with great care, until offspring #2....

Decided to test his new wings.  And guess what?

They worked!  He started out with a little support from the leaf of a porterweed plant.

And soon, he and all of his fellow fledgling guys and gals were sampling all of the nectar plants, like kniphofia, in this amazing little garden

They also found monardas...

And cupheas....

And silene regia , aka, "Royal Catchfly" (An Ohio native wildflower)

There were butterfly bushes everywhere...

In many different colors and flavors.

And an abundance of lobelia cardinals...Cardinal Flower (Another Ohio native plant)

And agastaches...

Salvias (Salvia 'Amistad' )

Salvia 'Amistad' again....my favorite new nectar plant for the year...

And lonicera sempervirens, aka, trumpet honeysuckle.

I'll enjoy the next 2 months as all of the youngsters prepare for their southern migration, and I'll try to share a few more images here between now and then as they learn the ropes of being a hummingbird, defending one's territory, and proper stretching techniques and such...

Thanks for looking!

-- hide signature --
 BudOhio's gear list:BudOhio's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,905
Like?
Re: Hummingbirds with K-5IIs and DA*300
In reply to BudOhio, Jul 25, 2013

Bud,

IMO this is the best hummingbird thread I have ever seen. Wonderful images and great storytelling. You've done a terrific job with the garden.

Well done my friend.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
halai
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?

Love the story...and the pictures are one of the kind.  Thank you for sharing with us!

How do you compare the continuous focus of the K-5IIs vs. K-5?  Is it the same or better?  Is it worth the upgrade if you already have the K-5?

Thanks!

Halai

halai's gear list:halai's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Nikon Df
GPGeneralPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602Gear list
Like?

Great series! Wonderful pics. Keep posting.

-- hide signature --

I'm thankful to still be able to...

GPGeneralPhoto's gear list:GPGeneralPhoto's gear list
Pentax K-5
Leo James Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,630
Like?
In reply to halai, Jul 25, 2013

What a wonderful series my friend! Like the pages from a serious text book on the little tikes. You are still the hummingbird Meister in my book Bud. It is good to see you back here...you have been missed.

Warmest regards

Leo

-- hide signature --

K-5: Pentax DA* 200mm f2.8, Pentax DA* 55mm f1.4, Pentax DA 35mm f2.8 Limited, Pentax DA14mm f2.8, Pentax DFA 100mm WR Macro , Sigma 17-70mm Zoom, Sigma EX DG f2.8 70mm Macro, Pentax 1.7 lens adapter, Cokin Pro Z Filter System. Benro B-4 Ball-Head, Benro C297-M8 Carbon Fiber Flexpod, Benro Precision HD-38 3-Way Pan-Head
Shooting photographs since 1948
Mitch

Greyser
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,770Gear list
Like?

Outstanding shots!

We had a tiny nest once too. It was built on a branch of my feijoa tree about 3-4 feet from our window. Unfortunately it was abandoned when my neighbors started construction.

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,539Gear list
Like?

Excellent, some of the best i have seen, but please limit to no more than 10 pics, if need be post tow threads, well done.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +2 more
philzucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,091
Like?

Quite an outstanding achievement, Bud. Superb pictures, and very nice story. A joy to view and read!

Especially because the pictures are that excellent I'll second Alan in suggesting not to include too many in one single post - each single pic deserves full attention, and if I see too many in a row I begin skipping too fast after some ...

But the bottom line is: Keep up the good work! I'll keep tuned in for more.

Phil

-- hide signature --
deryn
Regular MemberPosts: 345
Like?

Really excellent pics.

And what wonderful characters to photograph.

deryn

philzucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,091
Like?
In reply to philzucker, Jul 25, 2013

philzucker wrote:

Quite an outstanding achievement, Bud. Superb pictures, and very nice story. A joy to view and read!

Just looked at them again. #7 (the bird on the leaf) and #19 (the "shrugging" bird) are my absolute favorites - priceless, both of them!

Of the in flight pics I'd choose #8, #10, #11 for enlargements. But so many to choose from ...

-- hide signature --
emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,352Gear list
Like?
Beautiful shots, and excellent gardening .....

..... and as Ron said at the beginning of the thread - the best Hummingbird thread I've seen. Congratulations - on the photography AND on creating such an attractive habitat for the birds.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,105Gear list
Like?

Outstanding series, and what better way to display the qualities of the K5IIs & DA 300 combo. Inspirational.
--
Kind regards
britcam

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A1 +8 more
Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,483
Like?
BudOhio
Like?
Ron
In reply to brandrx, Jul 25, 2013

brandrx wrote:

Bud,

IMO this is the best hummingbird thread I have ever seen. Wonderful images and great storytelling. You've done a terrific job with the garden.

Well done my friend.

Cheers.

Ron

Ron,

Hello, and thank you! I really appreciate your comments, especially coming from a fellow hardcore hummingbird enthusiast

Thanks again!

Bud

-- hide signature --
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
BudOhio
Like?
Halai
In reply to halai, Jul 25, 2013

halai wrote:

Love the story...and the pictures are one of the kind. Thank you for sharing with us!

How do you compare the continuous focus of the K-5IIs vs. K-5? Is it the same or better? Is it worth the upgrade if you already have the K-5?

Thanks!

Halai

Thank you!  Honestly, I have never had much success with continuos focus and hummingbirds and haven't even tried it with the K-5IIs.  I follow the birds from bloom to bloom and some individuals are easier to photograph than others, especially those that spend more time at each flower.  I  focus on the eye if I'm close enough, and I usually try to be within 10 feet of the hummingbird when I'm shooting moving targets.  I know that doesn't answer your question, but hummingbirds are the only moving targets I shoot. Their flight patterns are often erratic and when it's breezy, everything around them...leaves, stems, flowers...  is moving, too, so CF has never been a very good option for me.

-- hide signature --
sentro
Contributing MemberPosts: 955
Like?

Very, very nice photos. I specially like 2&3. love how the birds and the nest seems to be one 'one' piece.

BudOhio
Like?
Leo
In reply to Leo James Mitchell, Jul 25, 2013

Leo James Mitchell wrote:

What a wonderful series my friend! Like the pages from a serious text book on the little tikes. You are still the hummingbird Meister in my book Bud. It is good to see you back here...you have been missed.

Warmest regards

Leo

Leo, my friend, thank you very much for the kind words!  Life and work have been keeping me busy lately and I freaked out when I saw the new forum format...lol.  I've never been good about dealing with change  I have missed the good people of this forum and decided it was time I jump back into the fray.

It's great to hear from you!

Bud

-- hide signature --
BrianC
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,216
Like?
Dang, Bud.........

We miss you around here! And, what a great opportunity for you having a nest within reach.

Love the one of the little guy on the leaf..........

I discovered Black & Blue Salvia last year and the Hummers love it......I put out a couple more plants and I seem to be having more activity this year.

Don't be a stranger and keep posting..........

I NEVER tire of Hummingbirds........

-- hide signature --

Brian

BudOhio
Like?
GP...thanks! (nt)
In reply to GPGeneralPhoto, Jul 25, 2013
-- hide signature --
BudOhio
Like?
Greyser
In reply to Greyser, Jul 25, 2013

Greyser wrote:

Outstanding shots!

We had a tiny nest once too. It was built on a branch of my feijoa tree about 3-4 feet from our window. Unfortunately it was abandoned when my neighbors started construction.

Thank you!  That's too bad about your abandoned nest.  I have a neighbor who is constantly building, or destroying...something.  We had a chat when I first discovered the nest, and he agreed to postpone some of his outdoor projects until the nesting cycle was complete  I actually have him interested in gardening and nectar plants now

Thanks again for the comments!

Bud

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads