Started Jul 25, 2013 | Discussions
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,604
Like?
Re: A58/A57 disregard the first link..sorry
In reply to brian14478, Jul 25, 2013

brian14478 wrote:

brian14478 wrote:

That's the same comparison session that we've seen so often, presumably done by the same person and subject to the same possible flaws, like using two different lenses. Any meaningful evaluation has to wait for a wider sampling of test data.

hands on reviews

wrong link on the first sorry..

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51598158

thanks yet again,brian

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51788200 it was supposed to be this*

Those are not comparisons. They look nice, but they don't reveal how much better (if at all) A is than B. Eventually there will be a number of professional and amateur testers posting direct comparisons of A to B, and then we will be able to make some reasonable assumptions about what to expect in real world use. Are we on the same page now?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Re: A58/A57 raw 800iso
In reply to Archer66, Jul 25, 2013

Archer66 wrote:

123Mike wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

123Mike wrote:

A few things wrong with this:

1) confirmation bias. Are you looking for make one particular one "win", to make yourself feel happy choosing a camera you probably already want to "win"?

What camera you own ?

You first. Which do you own, and which one are you looking to buy?

I have A850 and A58. I'm waiting to see what new cameras Sony will release in 2014.

A850, nice. A58 nice too. I have the A57 and A300. Early rumours look interesting. I hope they do better than the 70D. Can't wait.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Re: A58/A57 raw 800iso
In reply to brian14478, Jul 25, 2013

I only downsized the a58 to match the a57 for viewing purposes(equal)and yes it does give it an edge compressing pixels from 20 to 16. thank you,brian

I would propose that when downsizing the A58 shot that the A57 shot also undergoes a scale. A scale that's not two to one. How about scaling the A57 image up 2.5 times as wide, and then back down again 2.5 times. Not sure if that'll screw things up, but what I'm after is the A57 shots undergoing an enhancement of sorts, like the A58 gets.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,526
Like?
In reply to sybersitizen, Jul 26, 2013

sybersitizen wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51598158

thanks yet again,brian

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51788200 it was supposed to be this*

Those are not comparisons. They look nice, but they don't reveal how much better (if at all) A is than B. Eventually there will be a number of professional and amateur testers posting direct comparisons of A to B, and then we will be able to make some reasonable assumptions about what to expect in real world use. Are we on the same page now?

though not direct comparisons, one a previous owner and the other  had and shot/tested the a57.

both concluded the new sensor/processor to be an improvement over the 16.1 generation sensor and bionz processor.(at least compared to the a57)

no not a directly viable side by side comparison or samples...but a totally  unbiased view on the a58.

I have to say I admire your knowledge and especially civility in discussions/responses and posts.

not to sound like a brown nose...you seem(as always) a class act.

sometimes I get drawn in and defensive after a snide remark or 'attack' on something I post and get a bit testy...not usually and I never mean to offend anyone.- I am out for facts myself*...anyway, thank you...brian

sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,604
Like?
In reply to brian14478, Jul 26, 2013

brian14478 wrote:

though not direct comparisons, one a previous owner and the other had and shot/tested the a57.

both concluded the new sensor/processor to be an improvement over the 16.1 generation sensor and bionz processor.(at least compared to the a57)

I concede that the A58 is impressing many reviewers, but I hope to eventually find out for sure if it's an 'OMG' improvement, or a 'Hmm, that's nice' improvement.

And thanks for the vote of confidence. I will play tough guy if I'm pushed enough, but given a choice, I don't like fighting.

Allan Olesen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,367
Like?
In reply to brian14478, Jul 26, 2013

brian14478 wrote:

though not direct comparisons, one a previous owner and the other had and shot/tested the a57.

It of course depends on what you want to compare. But if you want to compare noise, the differences between modern sensors are much too small to be seen unless you very carefully take the photos and compare them under controlled conditions.

Failing to do this (and even dpreview.com and imaging-resource.com fail to do it properly in their photo comparisons), your result will reflect differences in the way the photos were taken, not differences between sensors.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads