Why I love my D200

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions
rkumar
Regular MemberPosts: 408
Like?
Are you recommending under-exposing the blue/green channels...
In reply to Trevor G, Jul 27, 2013

If the red channel on the D7000 has a tendency to blow out earlier than the green and blue channels, and the solution is to underexpose the image to preserve red, won't that cause underexposure of blue and green, and affect the overall image quality?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,462Gear list
Like?
Re: The D200 just gets it right without too much fiddling
In reply to jimoyer, Jul 27, 2013

jimoyer wrote:

Except perhaps the "excuse" is that Trevor is completely missing the point. The images were taken in Manual mode, at the same aperture and shutter speed, using the same lens, shot in RAW, to show the out of camera output as closely as possible using identical RAW to JPEG conversion instead of the in camera JPEG engine of each camera at those exact same settings. The fact that one camera may or may not be exposing an image at +.3 or -.3 is part of that and altering exposure compensation isn't part of the purpose.

John, to even suggest, leave alone state categorically here as you have done, that correct exposure is not important when evaluating images is quite amazing.

That's not a test, it's a parody.

Stacey seems to understand that as does just about everyone else however Trevor continues to ignore this because it's not conducive to proving his point.

Oh, what was his point again?

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,462Gear list
Like?
Re: Are you recommending under-exposing the blue/green channels...
In reply to rkumar, Jul 27, 2013

rkumar wrote:

If the red channel on the D7000 has a tendency to blow out earlier than the green and blue channels, and the solution is to underexpose the image to preserve red, won't that cause underexposure of blue and green, and affect the overall image quality?

What is under-exposure?

Correct exposure is making sure that none of your channels are clipping. What you do after that is your business. 

Who said the red channel on a D7000 has a tendancy to blow out earlier than the others?

It depends entirely on what you are shooting:

Stacey's early shot:

John Moyer's shot:

Oh, I wonder why blue clipped first?

And finally, from a D200 I took today:

I hope you get the idea.

Finally, if you thought one channel clipped before the other, you could test it by shooting a greyscale chart and successively over-exposing.

If one channel clips early the white patch would turn a different colour as you over-expose.

There have been cameras which do that noticeably - one was the Fuji S5 Pro, which had a very special CCD chip in a D200 body, and gave more than 3EV of highlight headroom. When you reached a certain over-exposure point one channel would clip early so that a white cloud would start to turn pink.

That wouldn't happen before at least 3.5EV over 0, which is still a phenomenal amount of highlight headroom compared with, say, a D700, which is somewhere around 2.0EV above 0

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,627Gear list
Like?
Re: The D200 just gets it right without too much fiddling
In reply to Trevor G, Jul 27, 2013

Trevor, I agree with the post above.  I've never added anyone to the ignore list but you're going on it.  I don't mind discussing this with you but it's evident that you're going to interpret what someone says to meet your beliefs.  You're going to edit, repost, etc others images without their consent to meet your beliefs (at least you didn't crop the watermark off of this one).  I've said that the images were taken at the same shutter speed, aperture, with the same lens, etc to illustrate how the CAMERA renders the images.....variations in exposure is part of that.....and you interpret it as saying that exposure doesn't matter.

You FINALLY posted your own image.  Now you don't need any of us.

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads