Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions
The Battery
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?
Bride shot C&C
Jul 24, 2013

Looking for some C&C on this picture.

D800, f/4 1/400 ISO100 50mm 25-70 f/2.8

Brandywine park. Pretty much an open field with a gazeebo off to camera left, one big tree behind me.

We had about 10 minutes and I had no say over the location. The limo stopped and the bride and groom got out and informed me they only had the limo for another 20 minutes...

I dont care for how bright the background is (If I had the time, i'd have underexposed the shot by two or three stops and lit her with a shoot-through...) I chose this pose because of time constraints. As soon as I took this picture, I told the groom to go stand in front of her so she didnt have to move, (apparently its difficult to walk in grass with heels on!) and then I moved around them and shot her looking over his shoulder. Back in the car!

What would you have done differently? I feel like this shot is just lacking something.

Thoughts?

-Dave

The Battery's gear list:The Battery's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mikemsphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 973
Like?
Re: Bride shot C&C
In reply to The Battery, Jul 24, 2013

I'm no wedding photographer but I'd say the background is distractingly bright. Hoping you shot raw so you have a bit more to work with. Maybe darken the background and also that brighter tree right behind her head is unfortunate. Would have been nicer to have her head and veil against darker green foliage rather than that "conehead" tree. Shouldn't be too hard to correct in post though. Pose was a good idea.

-- hide signature --

Michael Sherman
http://www.msphoto.ca

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OOPSOS
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?

I ditto Battery's opinion. I had looked at the photo very long to find the missing things what make the photo not compelling... My eyes can not moving away from the patch of bright grass.

-- hide signature --

'Photography is about feel of view, not field of view'
I view, I feel, I shoot
http://gplus.to/Grandpaparazzi

OOPSOS's gear list:OOPSOS's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +7 more
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?

Did you use an ND or polarizer filter? This may have allowed you to shoot wide open, allowing for less distracting background of the trees and blinding sun reflecting off the grass. I would think about also cropping the photo, as there is a lot of negative space.

John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,995
Like?

Try darkening and reducing the saturation of the yellows. Changes it dramatically.

John Motts
Like?
In reply to The Battery, Jul 28, 2013

Having asked for advice, it would be nice if OPs had the courtesy to respond in some way.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,617
Like?
In reply to The Battery, Jul 28, 2013

As the image views in the forum post is very soft, but clicking on it to view 100% it is sharp. Not sure what's going on to make itlook so bad in the forum.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Bride shot C&C true, those adjstments
In reply to John Motts, Jul 28, 2013

John Motts wrote:

Try darkening and reducing the saturation of the yellows. Changes it dramatically.

That does work. I tried reducing saturation of both yellows and reds, strong recovery slider, increase black (al ln LR3), looks a lovely image.

That said, one of you guys on the retouching forum would probably come up with a masking solution that would make the background slightly darker even then, while leaving the exposure for the lovely bride with the few adjustments mentioned.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Carsten Pauer 2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,952
Like?
In reply to The Battery, Jul 29, 2013

What would you have done differently?

I would search for a darker Background and/or make the Photo from a lower Position.
(F/2.8 should a bit more blur the Background).

I feel like this shot is just lacking something.

Yepp, a bit more Contrast between the Bride and the Background.

Regards: Carsten

Carsten Pauer 2
Like?
In reply to Bajerunner, Jul 29, 2013
That said, one of you guys on the retouching forum would probably come up with a masking solution that would make the background slightly darker even then, while leaving the exposure for the lovely bride with the few adjustments mentioned.

You mean like this ?

Leo "Zoom"
Senior MemberPosts: 1,330Gear list
Like?

70 mm and f/2.8 would make the background less active. Opposite shooting direction would give a nice back light (don't know the background in this case).

-- hide signature --
 Leo "Zoom"'s gear list:Leo "Zoom"'s gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +22 more
Carsten Pauer 2
Like?
In reply to Leo "Zoom", Jul 29, 2013

70 mm and f/2.8 would make the background less active.

You mean like this ?

yvind Strm
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,129
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, Jul 29, 2013

Carsten

I think you turned it from a disaster into a pretty decent picture.

Nice job.

Carsten Pauer 2 wrote:

70 mm and f/2.8 would make the background less active.

You mean like this ?

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Øyvind

Carsten Pauer 2
Like?
Thank You Øyvind

A bit more Green...

yvind Strm
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,129
Like?

What you should have done differntly?
You have been informed about the location, but failed to uncover the time constraints.

You obviously were at the location before them, and should immediately have spotted the problems with the background. Despite this you failed to rig your equipment for the situation before they arrived.

And, exactly how long does it take to put a flash on the camera or a tripod? Even with only 10 minutes you should have done that.

You also choose to use the brightest tree as the background for her head/veil.

Very passive pose. Pose also makes her head very strange, not very natural.

A little bend in the elbow would be nice.

Looks like the flowers are glued to her arm..

AND - you should also respond to the people you ask for help....

The Battery wrote:

Brandywine park. Pretty much an open field with a gazeebo off to camera left, one big tree behind me.

We had about 10 minutes and I had no say over the location. The limo stopped and the bride and groom got out and informed me they only had the limo for another 20 minutes...

I dont care for how bright the background is (If I had the time, i'd have underexposed the shot by two or three stops and lit her with a shoot-through...) I chose this pose because of time constraints. As soon as I took this picture, I told the groom to go stand in front of her so she didnt have to move, (apparently its difficult to walk in grass with heels on!) and then I moved around them and shot her looking over his shoulder. Back in the car!

What would you have done differently? I feel like this shot is just lacking something.

Thoughts?

-Dave

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Øyvind

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, Jul 29, 2013

Carsten Pauer 2 wrote:

You mean like this ?

Yes, much nicer image and lovely bride. I would also recover the highlights a bit to bring the dress details back.

Very nice solution.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
John Motts
Like?
In reply to yvind Strm, Jul 29, 2013

yvind Strm wrote:

The OP has been on other threads since but appears to have abandoned this one.

The Battery
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Motts, Jul 31, 2013

John Motts wrote:

yvind Strm wrote:

The OP has been on other threads since but appears to have abandoned this one.

Oops. This was not intentional... I apologize. A big thank you to all for the help and constructive comments. I'll try to respond to most.

Not sure why I didn't go down to f/2.8 at 70mm. That would have made more sense. I've been accidentally hitting the aperture dial on the battery grip and sometimes forget to check it before I shoot again...

As for the posing, I know that's one thing I need to work on.

As for edits, I like Carsten's edit, but maybe not as much blur...

I knew we were going to the park, but yes, I should have had an eye on the time. I was following the limo so when they pulled over so did I. For the flash, we only had 10 minutes at that location, not just for that shot. So if i spend 5 minutes to setup, we'd only have 5 minutes get that shot and maybe a few others before continuing on. Then comes the question of flash power. At f/4, 1/400 ISO100 for ambient i would probably need to be at f/8-11 at 1/250 ISO 100 to get those highlights under control. That'd mean at least two flashes at full power in a shoot-through fairly close. With no assistant, i'd have to wrangle a bridesmaid/groomsmen to help out and I didn't think it'd be worth the time investment...

For that bright tree, yeah, my-bad. Gots to be mo careful!

yvind Strm

"I think you turned it from a disaster into a pretty decent picture."

Ouch.  Disaster might be a little harsh.  Not saying its the bees knees though... I guarantee I wont make the same mistakes next time! (Probably)

I'll monkey around with it in photoshop and see what i can come up with and re-post.

Thanks again and sorry for taking so long to thank everyone for the help!

-D

The Battery's gear list:The Battery's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 1,776
Like?
Re: Thank You Øyvind
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, Jul 31, 2013

Carsten Pauer 2 wrote:

A bit more Green...

I like that one.

stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,150Gear list
Like?
In reply to The Battery, Jul 31, 2013

The Battery wrote:

Thoughts?

-Dave

If you shot with Raw, you have plenty of latitude for adjustment and can make it look great - darken the background, put more structure in that dress, some evening out of her face tones. Unfortunately, you've got a pointy tree right behind her head that can't be fixed easily. Darkening it will help.

Overall, she doesn't stand out, so you can use the radial filter in Lightroom and tastefully blur some of the background out and just leave her in focus. But also, a tighter crop can take the "sting" out of that conehead tree.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads