G15: Isn't it time for a 1.1 firmware?

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions
edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,091Gear list
Like?
G15: Isn't it time for a 1.1 firmware?
Jul 24, 2013

For corrections, comments, and additions, here’s one cursory wishlist…

1 Raw + "Custom JPEG" enabled

That is, allowing for I-contrast, MyColors, etc. on the JPEG side. (After all, WB fine tuning is enabled anyway.)

2 Hand-held HDR

What would be needed is just an aligning algorithm... But wait, it’s already there! (for the "Handheld NightScene" mode.)

3 Movie button can be re-purposed as a 2nd shortcut button.

For example, it would make for a pretty handy AF-lock button, right above the dedicated AE-lock button. (In this case you could spare the original "S" button for, say, drive mode or white balance.) Of course it would duly default to movie when the mode dial is set to video shooting.

4 AE-lock beep volume under control

If I can set independently the volume of the start-up sound, how come the only way to lower the audible AE-lock signal is fully muting all of the sounds?

5 B-time value available

There is already a shutter release jack from which a second actuation could close the shutter.

6 Program shift assignable to the front dial

This is a bit subtle and/or personal. Even though the control dials are quite customizable, I’ve found out that the one combination that to me would be most handy and consistent throughout modes is plainly impossible. (To wit: under Tv and Av respectively, shutter speed and aperture set by the front dial, as it’s the most proeminent and haptic control point; under P mode, program shift up there as well, for the very same reason.)

7 A simple interval timer

In addition to the already well implemented self-timer, it would be convenient to be able to set an interval between the N shots.

8 "FREE THE ISO NOW!"

For exposures longer than 1 sec. (Last but not least...)

-- hide signature --

PS: I’m aware CHDK deals with a few of the items above and much more, but I reckon this list is not really about adding features and more about simple or trivial revisions/improvements that might well be set in firmware to begin with.

Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,476
Like?
Not really...
In reply to edu T, Jul 24, 2013

With rare exception, Canon doesn't do firmware updates to add features; only to fix problems.

edu T wrote:

That is, allowing for I-contrast, MyColors, etc. on the JPEG side. (After all, WB fine tuning is enabled anyway.)

2 Hand-held HDR

What would be needed is just an aligning algorithm... But wait, it’s already there! (for the "Handheld NightScene" mode.)

3 Movie button can be re-purposed as a 2nd shortcut button.

For example, it would make for a pretty handy AF-lock button, right above the dedicated AE-lock button. (In this case you could spare the original "S" button for, say, drive mode or white balance.) Of course it would duly default to movie when the mode dial is set to video shooting.

If I can set independently the volume of the start-up sound, how come the only way to lower the audible AE-lock signal is fully muting all of the sounds?

5 B-time value available

There is already a shutter release jack from which a second actuation could close the shutter.

This is a bit subtle and/or personal. Even though the control dials are quite customizable, I’ve found out that the one combination that to me would be most handy and consistent throughout modes is plainly impossible. (To wit: under Tv and Av respectively, shutter speed and aperture set by the front dial, as it’s the most proeminent and haptic control point; under P mode, program shift up there as well, for the very same reason.)

In addition to the already well implemented self-timer, it would be convenient to be able to set an interval between the N shots.

8 "FREE THE ISO NOW!"

For exposures longer than 1 sec. (Last but not least...)

-- hide signature --

PS: I’m aware CHDK deals with a few of the items above and much more, but I reckon this list is not really about adding features and more about simple or trivial revisions/improvements that might well be set in firmware to begin with.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,091Gear list
Like?
Re: Not really...
In reply to Mark B., Jul 24, 2013

Mark B. wrote:

With rare exception, Canon doesn't do firmware updates to add features; only to fix problems.

edu T wrote:

. . .

8 "FREE THE ISO NOW!"

To me the 3 items above, I mean, the lack thereof, areproblems.

Not huge ones, sure, else I wouldn't have bought a G15. Anyway, more specifically, 4 looks like a simple oversight and 1 & 8 are arguably crippling-by-design symptoms.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,476
Like?
Re: Not really...
In reply to edu T, Jul 24, 2013

edu T wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

edu T wrote:

. . .

8 "FREE THE ISO NOW!"

To me the 3 items above, I mean, the lack thereof, areproblems.

Not huge ones, sure, else I wouldn't have bought a G15. Anyway, more specifically, 4 looks like a simple oversight and 1 & 8 are arguably crippling-by-design symptoms.

Nope, those are features, sorry   If the manual indicated you could do any one of these, and it wasn't working as described then it would be addressed.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,633
Like?
Re: G15: Isn't it time for a 1.1 firmware?
In reply to edu T, Jul 25, 2013

edu T wrote:

Manufacturers generally issue a firmware update to FIX problems, not add new features.  The idea product never needs an update because they got it right from the start.  The most popular "fix" i see listed in camera firmware announcements?  Menu system:Typos, etc.

Canon added functionality to the 7D and 5D2, but those are $1800 and $2700 camera they knew they'd be selling for 3+ years.  A $500 camera like the G15 is one they want to not work on after it starts its production run.

2 Hand-held HDR

What each mode is doing is probably rather different.  The HDR exposing for the shadows will probably be a longer exposure than what the night scene does since it isn't exposing the shadows just trying to not get a blurry photo.

3 Movie button can be re-purposed as a 2nd shortcut butto

No thanks.  It is unwise to add options that are not in the user manual.  I want the video button to always be record video.  I don't even use the shortcut button.  No need.

5 B-time value available

Canon doesn't have this on their dSLRs, they certainly wouldn't put it in a $500 P&S.

8 "FREE THE ISO NOW!"

ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Jul 25, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

Canon doesn't have this on their dSLRs, they certainly wouldn't put it in a $500 P&S.

This is a feature their P&S used to have up until some 5 years ago; the last model that I'm aware having it was the SD-880IS.

ncsakany's gear list:ncsakany's gear list
RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
waterwingz
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
In reply to edu T, Jul 25, 2013

CHDK will cover a big part of your list for you.

waterwingz's gear list:waterwingz's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot SD940 IS Canon PowerShot A1200 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D70
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads