NEX7 EVF Eye Cup...possibly a very simple, very workable, inexpensive solution

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
roundball
Contributing MemberPosts: 737
Like?
NEX7 EVF Eye Cup...possibly a very simple, very workable, inexpensive solution
9 months ago

NEX7 EVF eye cup removed to the left...larger Canon rubber eye cup on table under the camera

See that the NEX7 EVF eye cup 'frame' has a wide flat surface on the left and right sides.

The left and right backside edges of the rubber Canon eye cup match the dimensions of the left and right flat surfaces of the NEX7 EVF eye cup frame and sit right down on them.....I wet the left and right surfaces of the Canon eye cup with Superglue, then sat the eye cup down on those surfaces to let it cure.....comes to the eye perfectly.....now I'll see if it will "hold" with the Superglue through use.

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,039
Like?
Re: NEX7 EVF Eye Cup...possibly a very simple, very workable, inexpensive solution
In reply to roundball, 9 months ago

Did you leave the proximity sensor on the lower right edge of the on-camera eyepiece uncovered?

And: do you know the parts number of that Canon eyecup or anything more about it?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
travisgreen
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: NEX7 EVF Eye Cup...possibly a very simple, very workable, inexpensive solution

Just this once, I agree with uhligfd. You seem to have blocked the proximity sensor.

I'm more interested in finding out if the large XR1 eyecup fits the NEX-7.

roundball
Like?
In reply to travisgreen, 9 months ago

Just coming back to post an update on this very point...it does indeed cover the sensor that way so I'm looking at what modification may be needed

roundball
Like?

Well darn...with only spare Canon A1 eye cups available to try, dimension wise I can't figure out a modification that will work and not cover the sensor...it would be a done deal if that proximity sensor wasn't located right there on the edge.
So for the moment the NEX7 cup is back on it and hopefully Sony will reply today about the RX1 eye cup possibility.
Meanwhile, next time I'm out I'll duck into a camera shop and see if they might have an old scrounge box that might have a few other types of eye cups that might work.

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 3,511Gear list
Like?

I want to see the shot where the camera gets glued to your face..... 

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
roundball
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, 9 months ago

LOL...

Just need an eye cup with the middle square / rectangle cut-out a little larger than the old Canon A1s I have, and then it would stretch/fit snug around the whole NEX7 EVF frame and not block the sensor

missingendpoint
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?

The subject line says 'solution'.  Most times I use mine [and my 6 as well] without any eyecup.  So I'm trying to understand -- this is a solution to what?

roundball
Like?
In reply to missingendpoint, 9 months ago

So I'm trying to understand

Are you really??

iJer
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, 9 months ago

I took a chance and ordered the soft eyecup for the RX1 electronic viewfinder (FDAEV1MK) and it fits and works perfectly. I wear eyeglasses and the softer eyecup is  a big improvement for me over the hard standard one. Only problem it cost me $50

bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,775
Like?
Mandatory eyecup

If I didn't have to wear glasses while photographing, I could go without an eyecup. But an eyecup is mandatory for me, and even with the NEX eyecup in place I've severely scratched the right lens of my best pair of glasses. I'm never conscious of the lens settling in against the lens of the EVF, but the scratches (several of them, from repetitive use of the EVF) are exactly where the "reading" part of the variable focus lens is. I wish I knew of an eyecup which would prevent this. At least the NEX eyecup must minimize it somewhat. I'll be interested to see if someone comes up with a better solution.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

bill hansen
Like?
In reply to iJer, 9 months ago

If this leaves the proximity sensor uncovered, I'll gladly pay $50 for it. Can you post the exact link for the eyecup (there are so many available that I can't tell which one you bought)?

Thanks!!

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

iJer
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to bill hansen, 9 months ago

Bill the electronic viewfinder FDAEV1MK for the RX1 comes with two eyecups a hard one like the one supplied with the NEX 7 and a larger softer one. I contacted SONY Canada to ask about it and they referred me to the company that supplies their parts in Canada , MTC 877-779-9929 and they were able to get it.It works just like the hard one in that it attaches the same way and does not block the sensor.Hope that helps.

missingendpoint
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?

roundball wrote:

So I'm trying to understand

Are you really??

yes -- what is this trying to solve?

bill hansen
Like?
In reply to iJer, 9 months ago

Thanks - post is bookmarked. I'll give them a call.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

roundball
Like?
In reply to bill hansen, 9 months ago

Just heard back from Sony Support:

".....The eyepiece cup (part # 4-295-853-01) and bigger soft eyecup (part # X-2585-939-1) supplied with the optional FDA-EV1MK electronic viewfinder for the DSCRX1 is compatible with the viewfinder of the NEX7 camera....."

For assistance in purchasing any of the parts, please contact our Sales Customer Care by email at SonyStore@custhelp.com or by phone at 1-877-865-7669 during their operating hours below:

Monday - Friday: 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM PST
Saturday and Sunday: 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM PST

Forrest Hylton
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?

I had bought this on eBay for my F828.

I can’t remember who or if they are still in business.

It works on my 6, but fits better on the viewfinder on my 5N

DistantView
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?

missingendpoint wrote:

The subject line says 'solution'. Most times I use mine [and my 6 as well] without any eyecup. So I'm trying to understand -- this is a solution to what?

If it's what I'm trying to do then it's about reducing the light leakage around/into the VF in bright sunlight. From this thread it would appear that specs wearers also have issues which this might solve.

Very happy for you if you don't have a problem - but clearly many others do so please feel sorry for us !

RT

sasoph
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
In reply to Forrest Hylton, 9 months ago

Forrest Hylton wrote:

I had bought this on eBay for my F828.

I can’t remember who or if they are still in business

It looks like a telescope eyecup. I have an Orion version. Unfortunately, it does not sit securely on the bodies with integrated EVF.

sasoph's gear list:sasoph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +8 more
roundball
Like?
In reply to sasoph, 9 months ago

I searched for a way to modify eye cups I had on hand, and searched for alternatives that might work but they all had prices too of course with no guarantee of working when buying them sight unseen...so I finally gave in and ordered the Part Number for the large EVF eye cup Sony Support gave me (above).
Hated to pay the exorbitant price but the NEX7 body & FD adapter are the only expenses I've had to totally get back into photography with a big investment of good FD lenses already on hand...so I've just considered it part of the NEX7 camera body cost and put it behind me...should be here in a few days.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads