Do you typically shoot in P or M?

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 30,006
Like?
Re: Do you typically shoot in P or M?
In reply to ARB1, Jul 25, 2013

ARB1 wrote:

Of course most of us seasoned folks shot M growing up since that's all there was, but with the advancements in photographic technology I wonder if folks are shooting in M far less. I'm currently reading 'Understanding Exposure', and while I used M a good bit I'm going start shooting more in M to take back control of my camera and shooting.

So I was just wondering how many folks shoot M almost exclusively?

The problem with 'Understanding Exposure' is that the author doesn't understand exposure. The real base question is what are you trying to adjust exposure for. That book, and most people here change exposure to change image brightness, and that is how the UI of most cameras (including the auto modes) are designed. the trouble with it is, in a digital world it doesn't make much sense ( that does not mean that I am suggesting that anyone who likes working that way doesn't have the perfect right to do so). In a digital world the optimum exposure is the biggest that you can get, subject to all your pictorial constraints (DOF, motion blur) and the best way to get that is simply to set the maximum aperture and minimum shutter speed that you can (so long as you don't saturate the sensor) and the only way really to do that is M mode.

Now, if your aim when adjusting exposure is to adjust JPEG image brightness, and you'll always do just what the camera suggests, then no point not taking out the middleman and using an auto mode.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 1,987
Like?

ARB1 wrote:

Of course most of us seasoned folks shot M growing up since that's all there was, but with the advancements in photographic technology I wonder if folks are shooting in M far less.  I'm currently reading 'Understanding Exposure', and while I used M a good bit I'm going start shooting more in M to take back control of my camera and shooting.

So I was just wondering how many folks shoot M almost exclusively?

-- hide signature --

Allen

Mostly M, some A. No S or P.

rcower
Contributing MemberPosts: 822
Like?
In reply to Noelani, Jul 25, 2013

Usually in A, but I will switch to M when needed.

Bluephotons
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?
M 95%, A 4% and S 1% NT
In reply to StillLearning, Jul 25, 2013

No text)

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

Bluephotons's gear list:Bluephotons's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
lbj1891
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?
Mainly M
In reply to Bluephotons, Jul 25, 2013

You can usually find my camera in M. It's bad enough that we have AF, in camera meters, sensors, SD cards that you can continuously rewrite on, and LCD screens for instant review. I think M mode helps me to be a 'photographer' in the midst of all that.

lbj1891's gear list:lbj1891's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875Gear list
Like?
I wouldn't read through 65 replies on such a foolish topic but Ken Rockwell says
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 25, 2013

"P" stands for "Professional" What more do you need to know?   

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 30,006
Like?
Re: I wouldn't read through 65 replies on such a foolish topic but Ken Rockwell says
In reply to T O Shooter, Jul 25, 2013

T O Shooter wrote:

and then there's "A" for "Amateur", "S" for "Stupid" and "M" for "Muppet".

-- hide signature --

Bob

T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875Gear list
Like?
Re: I wouldn't read through 65 replies on such a foolish topic but Ken Rockwell says
In reply to bobn2, Jul 25, 2013

Bobn2 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

Sorry, but only the "P" for "Professonal" has the endorsement of Ken. Can't accept it from any lesser person.

And a quick look at a couple of early post finds CraigBennett uses "A" and "S"  Are you saying, using CraigBennett as an example, that he's amateur and stupid??????  Don't think that's tolerated here!    

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,724Gear list
Like?
Hmmm, toleration; Now there's a novelty
In reply to T O Shooter, Jul 25, 2013

T O Shooter wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

Sorry, but only the "P" for "Professonal" has the endorsement of Ken. Can't accept it from any lesser person.

And a quick look at a couple of early post finds CraigBennett uses "A" and "S" Are you saying, using CraigBennett as an example, that he's amateur and stupid?????? Don't think that's tolerated here!

Sometimes it is extinct here, for some threads.

Live and let live..

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon 1 J2 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +1 more
Mark Tuccillo
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?

When I'm shooting nearly always A, with auto iso about 50% of the time. If I hand the camera to someone (usually my wife), I switch to U2 which is auto ISO and P.

Mark Tuccillo's gear list:Mark Tuccillo's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +11 more
Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,270Gear list
Like?

M mode, Auto ISO for available light. P mode, Auto ISO for flash.

Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?
Yes! And in Tv and Av and "green square idiot mode"...

... because I bought a computer to do all the boring stuff.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,963
Like?

M

Thomas Toolan
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?

I hardly ever shoot in P. Almost always in A, sometimes in S if I need to freeze action, sometimes in M if I feel I can do better than the meter. So I would say the two modes I shoot least in are P or M. I put the camera into P if I'm handing the camera over to someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Tom

Thomas Toolan's gear list:Thomas Toolan's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +11 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
In reply to CraigBennett, Jul 25, 2013

CraigBennett wrote:

Mostly in M, a lot in A, sometimes in S, and practically never in P.

Some folks advocate using P when outside and wanting Nikon fill flash to work well. They call this "Professional" mode. I find I prefer to go to A or S mode and dial up or down my FEC to my taste.

P for "Professional mode" sounds like Mr KR

Maybe P is the mode to use when you are taking a photo while piѕѕed drunk

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
tryguy
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?
In reply to CFynn, Jul 25, 2013

100% in "M".

MikeInIndy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075Gear list
Like?

Mostly S, most of the rest is split between A and M, depends on the camera though.  With a non-recall camera (EG D300/D200) I used A for "fast shutter" by maxing aperture and locking a high minimum shutter in auto-iso and S for "slow shutter" to dial in motion blur for panning, allowing me to quickly fiddle the dial between the two modes to change shutter speed instead of spinning the dial and hoping I remember to spin it the right direction, I always have a hard time with the "in finder" indicators so I prefer to have the camera set to the simplest way to switch between two different settings.  Which is why I love the D7k/D600 I shoot with now, U1/U2 take care of these needs even more elegantly.  If I want to do something funky like shoot into strongly backlit or evening shots i'll go M and meter to a point that is true to "background" so when I'm shooting into the lights I still get a good exposure on the car.  As you can probably tell I shoot mainly motorsports, and some air shows, when I'm shooting anything else I tend to stick with A mostly, and P is primarily if I'm going to hand someone my camera.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikeInIndy's gear list:MikeInIndy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 +13 more
sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,305Gear list
Like?

ARB1 wrote:

Of course most of us seasoned folks shot M growing up since that's all there was, but with the advancements in photographic technology I wonder if folks are shooting in M far less. I'm currently reading 'Understanding Exposure', and while I used M a good bit I'm going start shooting more in M to take back control of my camera and shooting.

-- hide signature --

Allen

I shoot mostly in A, with either matrix or spot metering.  I use M for indoor flash or when the meter doesn't work reliably eg night. I might use P the odd time when I'm using flash for fill in bright sun.

A>M>>P>>>S

I can't see any reason to shoot in M exclusively, I prefer to let my camera do as much work as possible.  The less I have to think about the camera, the more I can think about my subject and the scene I'm shooting.  I don't get any fuzzies from doing everything myself; if i want to do that, I can go shoot my Yashica D, my Kodak Retina or my Pentax Spotmatic

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 +14 more
Tim A2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099
Like?
M plus fixed or auto ISO?

My guess is those who feeel strongly about using M only use fixed ISO. Of course if your camera is "ISOless" it is a mute point if you don't review your shot in the LCD display. By the way it is M plus auto ISO for me (Tav on my camera).

OliverNZ
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?

ARB1 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Allen

Howdy,

Always in M. No matter what camera I have at the time M is it. Base ISO is always locked in as well.

I hardly ever setup customizations either. A button to do B&W or Raw is the only setup!

I have the touchscreen turned off on my OM-D. Never use video. Ode for a camera without all that stuff  that doesn't break the bank!!

Oliver

OliverNZ's gear list:OliverNZ's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX200 Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Ricoh GR Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads