Like?
Re: Do you typically shoot in P or M?
In reply to BasiliskPhoto, Jul 24, 2013

Studio : 100% M

Sport / Action : Mostly S

Others : All A

Never P

KeithF's gear list:KeithF's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Flashlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,292
Like?
In reply to I a n, Jul 24, 2013

I a n wrote:

MJSfoto1956 wrote:

And I would point out that I even sometimes use M with Auto ISO!

Wait, what does auto ISO do in M mode? I don't think I have even turned auto ISO on, on my camera.

It maintains your manual settings but uses the built-in light meter to change the ISO.

-- hide signature --

Philip

4G63
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?

M all the time. I've gotten so used to it that I don't even bother changing the mode dial. 

SAkp
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
In reply to ARB1, Jul 24, 2013

M with Auto ISO, almost exclusively (but with EC almost all the time). I seldom go all-manual and prefer to use AE-Hold when warranted.

S with Auto ISO on the V1, for various reasons specific to the V1 and its idiosyncrasies.

SAkp's gear list:SAkp's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF
Teak
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?

M 95% of the time. S when shooting action (kids running around). Hard to give up the control offered by M.

Teak's gear list:Teak's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D70 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +9 more
Waterengineer
Contributing MemberPosts: 844
Like?
In reply to Noelani, Jul 24, 2013

Noelani wrote:

Either A or M - I have to admit, I never liked P. S is a rare case as well.

This.

It is hard to beat "A" for BIF.  "M" for everything else.  Thanks for asking.

Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,829Gear list
Like?
A or M mostly, very occasionally S, never P

And auto ISO off, raw only.  Usually ISO 100 or 200 when possible, up to ISO 6400 when needed (I can't get over how good ISO 6400 is on the D800 - virtually no noise visible on well-exposed shots unless pixel-peeping at 100% or on huuuuuuuuuuuuuge prints).

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,653Gear list
Like?
Re: A or M mostly, very occasionally S, never P
In reply to Simon Garrett, Jul 24, 2013

+1

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,843Gear list
Like?

BasiliskPhoto wrote:

Aperture and shutter speed are both too important to leave to the camera to decide.

Auto ISO is one of the best things to happen to cameras since they went digital. M all the way. I just keep an eye on the ISO to make sure that it is not hitting the buffer at either end, but I can let it range through about 5 stops without worrying too much about affecting quality.

Actually I disagree about leaving shutter speed to the camera. On the D600 (and I think the D800 and D4) if you set autoISO then it can be set to take the focal length into account and you can even adjust this to be faster or slower than normal. So if you aren't shooting action, then A and autoISO let's you set the DoF and let's the camera adjust the others. I almost never used autoISO before the D600 but the new implementation is really nice.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +4 more
D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,344Gear list
Like?
For the sake of speed and ease...

I almost always shoot in...

P - when I don't care about DOF

A - when I care DO about DOF

S - when I care about movement

and finally....M - when the situation is much more controlled and I have plenty of time to make adjustments...but that's pretty rare.  Mostly I'm in A or P.

Oh and I almost always use auto ISO.

I don't think they give out awards for who's the best at manually adjusting A, S and ISO quickly, just at who gets a good shot.  I think my wife would be aggravated with me though if I tried to shoot in M all the time and missed certain shots because I was fiddling with the exposure.  I think today's cameras meter more than well enough for most people's standards.  A slight tweak to exposure in Lightroom doesn't bother me, if I need to do it.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?
Mostly M, some A

Controlling the camera in Manual has become so second nature to me, I rarely if ever switch to another mode. I would never use P because aperture is too important for me creatively. If I'm in a real hurry, I'll use A.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

BasiliskPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 652
Like?
Re: For the sake of speed and ease...
In reply to D200_4me, Jul 24, 2013

D200_4me wrote:

I almost always shoot in...

P - when I don't care about DOF

A - when I care DO about DOF

S - when I care about movement

and finally....M - when the situation is much more controlled and I have plenty of time to make adjustments...but that's pretty rare. Mostly I'm in A or P.

Oh and I almost always use auto ISO.

I don't think they give out awards for who's the best at manually adjusting A, S and ISO quickly, just at who gets a good shot. I think my wife would be aggravated with me though if I tried to shoot in M all the time and missed certain shots because I was fiddling with the exposure. I think today's cameras meter more than well enough for most people's standards. A slight tweak to exposure in Lightroom doesn't bother me, if I need to do it.

I always care about DOF...

Leave camera on M, with auto ISO

Get in the habit of setting the shutter to safe speed when you attach lens (1/longest FL, higher if outside on a bright day), and aperture to mid setting - around f4

Then the camera is ready to shoot most unexpected events without adjustment; adjust DOF when required, sometimes major changes in lighting or freezing action require adjustment of shutter, but auto ISO takes up most of the variation. I agree that exposure compensation is rarely needed, with the latitude of the modern sensor, D-lighting even means this is true of Jpegs.

Jundar73
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
+1
In reply to Glen78, Jul 24, 2013
No text.
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?
In reply to I a n, Jul 24, 2013

I a n wrote:

MJSfoto1956 wrote:

And I would point out that I even sometimes use M with Auto ISO!

Wait, what does auto ISO do in M mode? I don't think I have even turned auto ISO on, on my camera.

Auto ISO, within limits, allows you to set exactly the speed and aperture you want and auto ISO then gives you the right exposure. For example you may wish to choose  a speed of 125 to allow you to use a lens of a particular focal length or you may want to capture slow movement. You then might want to shoot t f5.6 to give you a relatively good DoF for a band. Or an even higher speed for sport but with a highish DoF to get more of the players in focus. Auto ISO will change the ISo so as the light changes or you pan from one scene to another the ISO will change so you still get the right exposure.

If you use manual ISO you are limited to the combination of S and A to get the right combination, by using auto ISO you can vary that especially in real time as the light changes.

A fairly good example is on a playing pitch where part of the pitch is in shadow and part in sunlight. You may want to set the speed and aperture to capture the action with the right DoF, but if you have manual ISO on you have to change it as players go in and out of the shade. With Auto ISO you don't.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,306
Like?

I never shoot in P mode. I usually am in Aperture Priority mode and adjusting the EV as needed for a shot. M mode is what I use with flash when shooting indoors and where there is strong outside light. No camera will expose properly in this type of situation and much faster to manually set the exposure for the outside light level and then adjust the flash contribution for the subjects that are indoors.

P mode would be correct at most half the time and even then the shutter speed or aperture selected by the camera would be wrong - i.e. in the middle of the range and not optimum for the situation. The camera will select a smaller aperture to get more DOF which is often not what I want, or select a faster shutter speed than is necessary and so also force the aperture or the ISO setting where I do not want it to be.

P mode to me is for shooting snapshots where the overall image is not that important. It is what I will use with a small P&S camera to take a reference photo of some scene or subject.

romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brian Caslis, Jul 24, 2013

Brian Caslis wrote:

BasiliskPhoto wrote:

Aperture and shutter speed are both too important to leave to the camera to decide.

Auto ISO is one of the best things to happen to cameras since they went digital. M all the way. I just keep an eye on the ISO to make sure that it is not hitting the buffer at either end, but I can let it range through about 5 stops without worrying too much about affecting quality.

Actually I disagree about leaving shutter speed to the camera. On the D600 (and I think the D800 and D4) if you set autoISO then it can be set to take the focal length into account and you can even adjust this to be faster or slower than normal. So if you aren't shooting action, then A and autoISO let's you set the DoF and let's the camera adjust the others. I almost never used autoISO before the D600 but the new implementation is really nice.

I also never used auto ISO before I got my D800. However, recently went on a photo shoot with a wildlife professional. I had a D300 at the time and he said use auto ISO, set it at 800 max for the D300 and you'll never notice it, set the speed to capture the movement or reduce shake and use  DoF which is best for the lens and DoF, this is with a camera where I though ISO 800 was poor.

He said post processing will remove any noise and printing will not be affected by noise anyway upto a certain size. He then said he had a D800 and didn't worry about ISO at all. Hence I bought a D800

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,154Gear list
Like?

ARB1 wrote:

Of course most of us seasoned folks shot M growing up since that's all there was, but with the advancements in photographic technology I wonder if folks are shooting in M far less. I'm currently reading 'Understanding Exposure', and while I used M a good bit I'm going start shooting more in M to take back control of my camera and shooting.

So I was just wondering how many folks shoot M almost exclusively?

-- hide signature --

Allen

Mostly A for me. I've had my D600 for 6 months and have never used S or P. M once or twice. I'm not even sure what P does on this camera. Everything I do is aperture oriented, even action. I choose the aperture and ISO that best fits what I'm doing. For action, which I rarely shoot, I suppose S would become paramount.

RomanJohnston
Forum ProPosts: 18,461Gear list
Like?
When I buy a camera...it goes straight into M mode.

Only way to guarantee consistency.

Roman

-- hide signature --

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious; It is the source of all true art and science.
~ Albert Einstein
http://www.commercialfineart.com/
http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos/

thomasw333
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?

P, mostly.

S, often.

A, rarely, but that may change when I get a nice prime.

M, never, I would not know what to do at this time, maybe in the future I will learn how to use M.

Scene modes, tried them once or twice. Art modes the same, I do not seem to like them.

I am using a Pen Mini 2, only have a kit lens at this time.

thomasw333's gear list:thomasw333's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,670Gear list
Like?

Mostly A.   And that is mostly for depth of field control, partly to avoid soft aperture ranges.

M when using flash, often, in conjunction with auto-ISO.   Sometimes also (again with auto-ISO) with certain long lenses, to achieve both minimum shutter speed and minimum aperture.

Very rarely S.   I'll watch shutter speed when shooting in A mode to make sure I've got it fast enough, and adjust ISO or aperture as needed.

I've shot M a few times, and generally liked doing it.  You obviously feel more in control, and to some extent learn more.   But it just slows me down too much and I usually don't have an issue with how my DSLR's meter, so I skip it.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads