New Sony A79 spec's

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions
Photostyle
Contributing MemberPosts: 514
Like?
New Sony A79 spec's
Jul 24, 2013

Is this a Full Frame ? what to think about those spec's ??

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-specs-of-the-new-a79-prototype-camera/

Morsleib
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: New Sony A79 spec's
In reply to Photostyle, Jul 24, 2013

The model code 'A79' implies it is a sucessor to the A77 APS-C camera. A full frame would be expected to be an A9*. But then it's only a rumour

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Allan Olesen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,255
Like?

Photostyle wrote:

Is this a Full Frame ?

If it is a full frame, and it is called a79, Sony has really messed up their model numbering.

Photostyle
Like?
In reply to Allan Olesen, Jul 24, 2013

Allan Olesen wrote:

Photostyle wrote:

Is this a Full Frame ?

If it is a full frame, and it is called a79, Sony has really messed up their model numbering.

If it is a APS-C camera, is those 32MP not to much for a APS-C sensor ??? again !!! the MP war is still going on ? or rather the Sony prestige war !!!!!

phototherapy
Contributing MemberPosts: 716
Like?

My concern are that the price will be much to high ? with that much MP what will the noise performance be ? will it have a decent Jpeg engine this time ? could focus peaking still work with this mirrorless design, and so on....

Allan Olesen
Like?

Photostyle wrote:

If it is a APS-C camera, is those 32MP not to much for a APS-C sensor ???

Why? The current 24 and 16 MP have the same noise when compared with correct methods (using the same exposure instead of the same ISO, and comparing the full photo at the same magnification).

The 24 MP sensor does seem to have some problems catching all light from really larger apertures, but that is the only difference I know of, and I don't think it will be relevant to many.

If you are complaining about file size, then it is really irrelevant whether the camera is APS-C or FF. A 32 MP file from FF will be just as annoying to handle as a 32 MP file from APS-C.

richiemccaw
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?

All these rumours sound really enticing but as someone on the alpharumors site has said, Sony seems to be no.1 in leaking information but dead last in releasing new products.

richiemccaw's gear list:richiemccaw's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,492
Like?

it may be a apsc..i imagine the new chip/sensor might handle  those 36mps.  a 4gb buffer? whaaaaat?

a magnesium body and 8-14 frames a second.

if its full or aspc one thing that is for sure..not going to be cheap my friends.

how are the lens resolution tests going to look with this body?- or is dxo going to 'well we used an a200 for this test.  to see a complete explanation on the other page on how these resolution test are not worth diddly half the time ha ha ha .  thanks for the link,brian

Allan Olesen
Like?
In reply to brian14478, Jul 24, 2013

brian14478 wrote:

a 4gb buffer? whaaaaat?

I was thinking the same. That is more than 90 raw+JPG photos if they use the same compression as a77.

More than 6 seconds of continuously shooting 32 MP raw+jpg with 14 fps...

(And 80 seconds to clear the buffer if they haven't increased the write speed to the card since the a77.)

mike_2008
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,635Gear list
Like?

Interesting. SAR stated in the comments section that it is indeed APS-C, consistent with the A7x numbering system.

If they really are aiming for early 2014 release then I'd expect a few more details by now; that's only 6-9 months away, not very long at all when producing a new device. I wouldn't be surprised if it was second half of 2014.

On sensor AF: well we knew it was coming and that SLT was merely a stopgap. I sure hope that they've done it well, but I suspect that the low light AF will probably be inferior to the standard system. People on this forum will probably go ape about it.

On the plus side, no SLT means an unimpeded sensor, no light loss any more, even if it was only a half-stop.

They can't make the system much smaller though, because the distance between the sensor and the lens flange has to remain the same.

32MP seems a little exaggerated for APS-C. Perhaps this pixel density allows the removal of the anti-aliasing filter.

Overall good to see sony innovating. Devil is in the detail though, and the AF performance, which is one of the USPs of DSLR, will have to be up to scratch, otherwise we may as well just buy nex's. Indeed, if they implement the same AF system on the nex cameras there seems to be little reason to use bulky cameras like the A79, apart from ergonomics and a large lens collection.

mike_2008's gear list:mike_2008's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
chrisrabe
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?

Taking most of that with a pinch of salt, but all good if true.

But I want better high ISO performance than that on a65/a77.

Just want focus to remain at least the same as current models.

But one thing I really want is touch screen, which I can use for quick focus selection. I miss this from the NX300.

And more customisation for buttons - yes, also letting me use them in RAW/Manual mode! Argh! Wanted to assign AEL button to focus point selection, but nope, this button has no function in manual mode! Similar prob with some buttons in RAW. Sigh.

chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,813Gear list
Like?

Photostyle wrote:

Allan Olesen wrote:

Photostyle wrote:

Is this a Full Frame ?

If it is a APS-C camera, is those 32MP not to much for a APS-C sensor ??? again !!! the MP war is still going on ? or rather the Sony prestige war !!!!!

If you don't want more MP then the answer is simple ,stick with the older cheaper cameras ! The received opinion that more MP is always bad cannot be decided on theory alone because each new generation of sensors tends to be better in several respects.

More MP unquestionably gives more cropping power & resolution but if you are a low light shooter then maybe those features may not be a high priority ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,813Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Jul 24, 2013

If the rumoured specs are true then it looks good ! Better EVF & 480 focus points on new high resolution sensor.

The Achilles heel of current mirrorless cameras is relatively poor focussing compared with conventional DSLRs but this new senor may have cracked that problem in a similar manner to that of the Canon 70D ?

Just noticed that this rumour is categorised as SR3 so it may not be accurate but if so which part is untrue ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Allan Olesen
Like?
In reply to chrisrabe, Jul 24, 2013

chrisrabe wrote:

Wanted to assign AEL button to focus point selection, but nope, this button has no function in manual mode!

It actually does.

If your AEL button is set to AEL toggle and you press it, you will see an asterisk symbol in the viewfinder. After that you can do exposure shift with the front or rear wheel. So if you lower the shutter speed with one stop, the aperture will automatically close with one stop and vice versa. Press the AEL button once again, and you are back to normal operation.

Once you have pressed the button, you can take several photos in this mode, making it pretty handy if you want to shoot with different combinations of aperture and shutter speed without changing the exposure.

Pentax have the same feature and they are so proud of it that they have given it a name so they can use it in marketing. On Sony it is just a hidden feature which most people will probably never discover.

Unfortunately it only works when changing settings with the wheels. If the aperture is stopped down because you zoom in, and your lens has variable max. aperture, the shutter speed will be unaffected.

Domenick Creaco
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?

Sony has not assigned a model number for thi camera. I think it has been named by the rumor sites which would make it unofficial, so it is hard to determine whether it will be full or half frame.
--
Domenick Creaco

RichV
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,909Gear list
Like?

Photostyle wrote:

Allan Olesen wrote:

Photostyle wrote:

Is this a Full Frame ?

If it is a APS-C camera, is those 32MP not to much for a APS-C sensor ??? again !!! the MP war is still going on ? or rather the Sony prestige war !!!!!

Is it possible this isn't a "net MP" figure?  The Canon 70D sensor is said to be 40 MP, so that's one of the possibilities.

-- hide signature --

Rich

RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 +6 more
The Lotus Eater
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?
In reply to Domenick Creaco, Jul 24, 2013

Sony has not assigned a model number for thi camera. I think it has been named by the rumor sites which would make it unofficial, so it is hard to determine whether it will be full or half frame.
--
Domenick Creaco

I wouldn't be surprised to see it named the A7.

Three digits for DSLR - A700

Two digits for SLT - A77

One digit for mirrorless - A7 (NEX-7)

The Lotus Eater's gear list:The Lotus Eater's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +8 more
Photostyle
Like?
In reply to chrisrabe, Jul 24, 2013

chrisrabe wrote:

Taking most of that with a pinch of salt, but all good if true.

But I want better high ISO performance than that on a65/a77.

I want better high ISO also, but with that many MP !!!!! it's wishful thinking

Just want focus to remain at least the same as current models.

But one thing I really want is touch screen, which I can use for quick focus selection. I miss this from the NX300.

And more customisation for buttons - yes, also letting me use them in RAW/Manual mode! Argh! Wanted to assign AEL button to focus point selection, but nope, this button has no function in manual mode! Similar prob with some buttons in RAW. Sigh.

dpyy
Contributing MemberPosts: 872
Like?

Allan Olesen wrote:

brian14478 wrote:

a 4gb buffer? whaaaaat?

I was thinking the same. That is more than 90 raw+JPG photos if they use the same compression as a77.

More than 6 seconds of continuously shooting 32 MP raw+jpg with 14 fps...

(And 80 seconds to clear the buffer if they haven't increased the write speed to the card since the a77.)

Is buffer made up of computer ram? Why don't cameras have bigger buffers? RAM is dirt cheap. I'd gladly pay a couple of hundred more for insane buffers.

Allan Olesen
Like?

Photostyle wrote:

I want better high ISO also, but with that many MP !!!!! it's wishful thinking

You are unstoppable

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads