What's the best camera for night photography Nikon D5200,7000,7100?

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Questions
mky44
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
What's the best camera for night photography Nikon D5200,7000,7100?
Jul 24, 2013

Question!!

I am at stand still and I don’t know which camera to get for the things I want to do. I don’t know if I should get the 5200, 7000 or 7100. The type of photography I want to do is landscape and night photography (stars). I’ve had a Nikon D60 before and I want to upgrade, but I don’t know which camera will be the best for what I want to achieve. I know all have the “Bulb” mode, but my fear (which I thought applies to lower end camera 5200 or D60) is that when I take a star shot (not the streaks) it will be noisy. I’ve attempted at this a few times and it was so noisy that “purple” vignette started to appear and it was grainy or noisy. So to avoid all this which is the best camera for me? Can any one help? The camera will purely be used for outdoor photography (sunsets, Long stream silky water shots, Star shots, and some videos on my travels) and it’s one I want to keep for a while, but to achieve the results I want. I've attached a few images to show what I want to achieve. IF anyone has the answer or can explain how to achieve it (Shooting in small exposures)?

Overall I’ve been leaning between the 7000 and 7100 but I heard the major difference is the mega pixels? Are these the right camera to jump from a Nikon D60 to achieve the type of shot I want to do?

-Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,572Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the best camera for night photography Nikon D5200,7000,7100?
In reply to mky44, Jul 24, 2013

So I take it the images provided are not yours?

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. Have a good one and God bless!

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to mky44, Jul 24, 2013

You are presently working with a CCD camera, and unfortunately that technology sensor was prone to amplifier noise (the dreaded purple glow). Current CMOS sensor technology and sensor architectures have almost vanishingly small levels of amp glow, and there are dark frame subtraction techniques that the cameras employ to cancel out such noise, as well as more sophisticated post processing NR algorithms.

In comparison to your D60, any of your stated options will be far superior, though from an artifacting point of view the cameras with EXMOR (Sony) based sensors are better.  These would be the D5100 and D7000 in the APS-C format, and the D600 and D800 in the Full-frame format. Unfortunately, the D5200 and D7100 are not EXMOR and are not as robust in the extreme deep shadows. This is not a big issue even if you're down in that mud, but they do require more work in post to remove these minor warts.

If you are really serious about astrophotography - photographing extremely dim stars and other objects - then you would be best advised to ask your question in the astrophotography forum.

While the Nikon SLRs are excellent in low-light, they employ certain image processing techniques that may limit their ability to do more sophisticated exposure techniques such as exposure stacking, etc. commonly employed by astrophotographers. Surprisingly, Canon and other manufacturers are often chosen by astrophotographers over Nikon for this reason even though their performance in more ordinary situations and their artifacting is often worse.

This is not to say that a Nikon will not do the job. For most folks, they will be fine. But if you're serious, you may need to head in a different direction than an APS-C DSLR.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,831Gear list
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Jul 24, 2013

Get the new Canon 70D which does image stacking.   That's the best solution here.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
mky44
Like?
In reply to Biggs23, Jul 26, 2013

No they arent mine just showing what I want to achieve.

mky44
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Jul 26, 2013

Ok so I shouldnt get the 5200 but the 5100? Which canon models would you recommend in the same range as the nikon d5100? And where is the astrophotography section?

mky44
Like?
In reply to jonrobertp, Jul 26, 2013

Can I do other things with it? Silky water stream shot etc etc.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads