Anyone know of a more comfortable eyecup for the NEX7

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions
alitech
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
Anyone know of a more comfortable eyecup for the NEX7
Jul 24, 2013

I hate the one supplied. Very uncomfortable indeed. Anyone know of a third party adapter that may work well with this?

Or perhaps an official Sony one that is made as a replacement? I have had no luck finding one online

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jasby
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone know of a more comfortable eyecup for the NEX7
In reply to alitech, Jul 24, 2013

alitech wrote:

I hate the one supplied. Very uncomfortable indeed. Anyone know of a third party adapter that may work well with this?

Or perhaps an official Sony one that is made as a replacement? I have had no luck finding one online

I second that comment, but also have not found an alternative.

John

jasby's gear list:jasby's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DistantView
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
In reply to jasby, Jul 24, 2013

I agree, the surround on the external VF on my 5N (which I think is the same) is poor - I believe I saw that there was a better one coming out as part of the RX1 Mk2 but with 2 daughters getting married this summer I've had neither time nor money to do anything about it

Let us know if you find anything ! Good luck...

RT

akositric
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
In reply to DistantView, Jul 24, 2013

The one supplied with the external EVF of the RX1 is way much better, and softer. But I dunno if they sell those.

akositric's gear list:akositric's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
roundball
Contributing MemberPosts: 807
Like?

Agree...and recently asked this same question in another thread just the other day.
As FYI, I've Emailed Sony Support about the very same RX1 related question posted below.
IE: is it better, will it fit, can they be bought separately, where, how, etc.

Will post their reply if/when I hear back...

alitech
Like?
In reply to roundball, Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for that. I think I read up on that eyecup from the RX1 thread, but no one spoke about compatibility with the NEX7 VF.

Is it definitely compatible? If it is, I still won't buy it because its stupid expensive. Might as well wait for an aftermarket one..

Or maybe even seed the idea to a Chinese manufacturer so they can get on the case. hmmmm

roundball
Like?
Is it definitely compatible?
If it is, I still won't buy it because its stupid expensive.

I have no idea about either...I hope to hear back from Sony today / tomorrow.

I tried a new spare eye cup I had leftover from back in my Canon A1 days, but the frame won't fit the NEX cutout slots.
Then I thought about removing the replaceable rubber cup from around the Canon frame and use it to replace the rubber around the NEX frame, but unfortunately the NEX rubber is bonded to it's own eye cup frame.

alitech
Like?

Sony, if you are reading this, here is an opportunity to make some more money. Every little helps man... should contribute getting you out of the hole you are in!!

LifeIsAVerb
Contributing MemberPosts: 905
Like?

I remember looking around for an alternative eye cup for my 7, and couldn't come up with anything, either.

Seems like the only option at the moment is a DIY modification of an existing eye cup.

Here's one with a Canon F1 cup.

The five-part video proceeds ponderously slowly; it could have been edited down to about 10 minutes, but he takes a hour. Skip around/fast forward, you'll get the idea.

Basically, you cut and remove some of the rubber of the larger cup so it mates well with the frame of the Sony eyepiece, and glue them together. It's fairly straightforward, but a bit tedious to do the cuts carefully enough so you don't butcher the rubber you want to remain intact.

bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,940
Like?
post about RX1 eyecup

In another thread, a person wrote that (s)he had bought the RX1 eyecup and it works perfectly. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51862323

I don't know whether it leaves the proximity sensor available, and I can't find the eyecup for sale separately. I've asked the person to post the link to the site at which he bought it. It's $50 USD, but if it saves my glasses from more scratches, it will be more than worth the money.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?

alitech wrote:

I took the eyecup off - I like it better without it

it also makes it easier to slip it into a coat pocket

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
HVL-F20AM Flash
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
roundball
Like?
In reply to edwardaneal, Jul 24, 2013

Just heard back from Sony Support:

".....The eyepiece cup (part # 4-295-853-01) and bigger soft eyecup (part # X-2585-939-1) supplied with the optional FDA-EV1MK electronic viewfinder for the DSCRX1 is compatible with the viewfinder of the NEX7 camera....."

For assistance in purchasing any of the parts, please contact our Sales Customer Care by email at SonyStore@custhelp.com or by phone at 1-877-865-7669 during their operating hours below:

Monday - Friday: 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM PST
Saturday and Sunday: 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM PST

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,500Gear list
Like?
 Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
LifeIsAVerb
Contributing MemberPosts: 905
Like?

roundball wrote:

Just heard back from Sony Support:

".....The eyepiece cup (part # 4-295-853-01) and bigger soft eyecup (part # X-2585-939-1) supplied with the optional FDA-EV1MK electronic viewfinder for the DSCRX1 is compatible with the viewfinder of the NEX7 camera....."

For assistance in purchasing any of the parts, please contact our Sales Customer Care by email at SonyStore@custhelp.com or by phone at 1-877-865-7669 during their operating hours below:

Monday - Friday: 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM PST
Saturday and Sunday: 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM PST

Thanks for that!

alitech
Like?
In reply to LifeIsAVerb, 11 months ago

Heres to getting NO WHERE WITH THIS!!..

Any chinese manufacturers reading these forums? Here is your opportunity to make some big bucks man... we need a softer bigger eye cup for the NEX 7.

Come on get to it.. fast

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads