Free as a Butterfly(New member)

Started Jul 23, 2013 | Photos
Manny316
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?
Free as a Butterfly(New member)
Jul 23, 2013

Hey everyone my name is Manny and I'm a newspaper Photographer for my University. I'm also new to these forums.
I've had the Sony NEX5n for about one year and it was my first serious camera since I've never owned a DSLR. Throughout the weeks I will be posting pictures I've taken while owning this amazing little camera. With each post I will share a story on what went through my mind when taking the pictures, what I learned, and what I would have done differently in retrospect. 
I will start from the very beginning and post the first pictures I ever took using the 18-55mm kit lens, then move on to the sel50mm 1.8, then to my use of Vintage lenses that I'm currently using for my paid Modeling/Engagement work that has been published.
I must warn that I purposely over-processed and overly saturate my work since I love making things look surreal and unnatural. So my work may not be liked very much on here and since I was just starting out I made my watermark too pronounced which is what I regret but you live and learn.lol.
The story for these pics were that I was walking to class for a quiz and noticed these beautiful butterflies. These butterflies made me 15 minutes late to class and I missed the quiz. It was worth it.lol. All shot with the 18-55mm. I'll try to answer as many questions as possible. Thanks and enjoy.

-Manny-

Manny316's gear list:Manny316's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +9 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Manny316
Like?
Re: Free as a Butterfly(New member)
In reply to Manny316, Jul 24, 2013

Forgot to mention these were  shot in harsh light(Noon)lol.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gil
gil
Forum ProPosts: 16,641Gear list
Like?
In my view, if you need surreal/unnatural look, you may...(more)
In reply to Manny316, Jul 24, 2013

want to over processed some more with some distortion, selection saturation/desaturation, etc. Also you may want to experiment on POV/perspective/angle and not just the clinical eye level or top look. You can also take a look on over exposure or highlights/tone play for a baseline for surreal PP. Thanks for sharing and please continue experimenting even though these initial pics didn't have much impact on me per your intention. Again, just my view.

cheers,

gil

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
gil - San Jose, CA
Cheap Lens, JPG and 100% Handholding Provocateur
Like happiness, photography is often better created than pursued.

gil's gear list:gil's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony a77 II
Manny316
Like?
Re: In my view, if you need surreal/unnatural look, you may...(more)
In reply to gil, Jul 24, 2013

gil wrote:

want to over processed some more with some distortion, selection saturation/desaturation, etc. Also you may want to experiment on POV/perspective/angle and not just the clinical eye level or top look. You can also take a look on over exposure or highlights/tone play for a baseline for surreal PP. Thanks for sharing and please continue experimenting even though these initial pics didn't have much impact on me per your intention. Again, just my view.

cheers,

gil

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
gil - San Jose, CA
Cheap Lens, JPG and 100% Handholding Provocateur
Like happiness, photography is often better created than pursued.

Thanks for the advice. It's what I need.lol.

-Manny-

BartjeVanIlse
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
Re: In my view, if you need surreal/unnatural look, you may...(more)
In reply to gil, Jul 25, 2013

I love them.

BartjeVanIlse's gear list:BartjeVanIlse's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +5 more
Untameable
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
In reply to Manny316, Jul 25, 2013

I can't get past the heavy processing (and that white faux vignetting).

Lucky Nine
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?

very nice pic ;-), in my place is hard to find butterfly:-(

DistantView
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?

Manny - welcome to DPR ! I have the 5N (+EVF) & unlike many others think the kit lens is perfectly OK for 90% of situations (not talking about zoom range, just the quality of the images).

For me your pics have you're own style but if your subject is the buitterflies then - for me - the heavily saturated purple flowers take away from them by distracting the eye. But that's for you to decide - it would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing.

One other minor criticism is that you've clipped the wings in a couple of shots, which I think doesn't help, and "nature" photogs/judges would frown on.

Hope this helps - keep taking pictures !

Good luck

RT

Jokica
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?

Hi, Manny!

Welcome to this forum. You pictures are lovely, and you blog will be great refreshment in comparison to gear discussion.

Happy shooting

Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Dennis Zimmerman
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?

Manny- I really like them.  I keep finding myself going back to them.  I do agree that a couple of the photos have the butterfly wings clipped and I would rather not see that.  The last photo is my least favorite because of the extreme vignetting and the fingers.....  Otherwise I think you did a great job.

D.Zimmerman

Manny316
Like?
In reply to Dennis Zimmerman, Jul 25, 2013

Thank you for the constructive criticism along with Untameable and DistantView and everyone else that took the time to check out my beginner pics.lol.

-Manny-

-- hide signature --

I don't take pictures on how I see the world. I take pictures on how I want the world to be: Bright and vivid.

davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,079
Like?
In reply to Manny316, Jul 26, 2013

Great shots

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-F3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Keyboard shortcuts: