Complaints About DSLR Size

Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,930Gear list
Like?
Re: No.
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 23, 2013

I walk a lot doing wildlife photography, often over rough terrain. I did enjoy shooting with my Sony Alpha cameras but I have sold the whole lot, cameras and lenses this week and made the complete transition to the Nex system( not a hasty decision, I have had one Nex camera for a year now)

The weight of my kit bag containing two cameras, six lenses etc is about half what it was before - a considerable difference.

One Nex camera and lens hanging around your neck is very light too when you are shooting all day - no need for  a tripod either, a monopod will do.

 Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brownie314
Contributing MemberPosts: 804
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 23, 2013

lbj1891 wrote:

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots. I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Funny, I just posted about this topic in a mirrorless vs dslr thread.  A person was asking what the differences were.

I do like the weightiness of my D7000 as opposed to my J1.  I don't even mind putting heavy lenses on it, in fact I like the solid feel of heavier lenses.  So, yes, I also like the heavier, solid feel of a rugged dslr.  A tiny system has it's place and uses, but if I don't have to worry about storing my camera anywhere while I am walking around, or if I am not being called upon to do other stuff while also photographing, I prefer to handle my D7000.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brownie314
Contributing MemberPosts: 804
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to brianj, Jul 23, 2013

brianj wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots. I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Would you rather carry around a clock or a watch, a desktop PC or a ipad, its common sense to want to carry a small camera, the current gymnastics that people are willing to cope with to carry a DSLR is an interim thing, until the industry can reduce the size and retain whatever it is that DSLR owners want.

Maybe this one would be more satisfying.

Brian

hmmm - desktop or ipad?  Depends on the job.  Surfing web - ipad.  Solving scientific compute problems - PC.

This is funny some people think size and weight are the only problem with cameras.  Hard to argue against weight, but size - small isn't always better.

The mirrorbox will go away when processing speed and algorithms are good enough for mirrorless to focus faster than dslrs.  When that happens, I am willing to lay money down that says the first crop of mirrorless pro bodies will not be significantly smaller than the current dslrs.  Maybe slightly lighter, but not significantly smaller.  Having lots of external controls in an ergonomically well spaced out device is hard to do with a tiny camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 23, 2013

It depends where you are carrying them.

I frequently take my cameras up steep mountains, carrying a rucsack full of stuff, often in cold, wet and windy conditions and usually with a trekking pole or in the snow, an ice axe.

My camera is usually across my body and if I'm scrambling (easy climbing up rock without a rope) or clambering over a boulder field a bulky camera and lens is awkward,

Anything that reduces the weight and size of the equipment I'm carrying is very welcome.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,309Gear list
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to 69chevy, Jul 23, 2013

69chevy wrote:

brianj wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

brianj wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots. I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Would you rather carry around a clock or a watch, a desktop PC or a ipad, its common sense to want to carry a small camera, the current gymnastics that people are willing to cope with to carry a DSLR is an interim thing, until the industry can reduce the size and retain whatever it is that DSLR owners want.

Maybe this one would be more satisfying.

Brian

Why are you being so condescending? To answer your question though, I actually prefer my laptop to the pads. To each their own.

I didn't mean to be condescending, sorry if that came accross, I was just trying to find a way to illustrate my point better. Interesting about the laptop, in scale I would equate that to a mirrorless size, so you would prefer not to carry your desktop PC around yet you prefer to carry a DSLR.

Brian

Maybe this has been said already, but the foolishness of your comparison made me stop reading.

My DSLR fits in one hand, just like every other camera.

Do you need more room in your camera holding hand for something else?

How foolish of you, its not about your hand, that's where the camera is when it is in use, its all about where it is when you are getting about and not in the process of taking photos.

Brian

 brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,508
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Jul 23, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

brianj wrote:

Would you rather carry around a clock or a watch, a desktop PC or a ipad, its common sense to want to carry a small camera, the current gymnastics that people are willing to cope with to carry a DSLR is an interim thing, until the industry can reduce the size and retain whatever it is that DSLR owners want.

I want a camera with plenty of body controls which are large enough and spaced out enough to be easily used. I want a camera that doesn't make me feel like I'm using a toy.

This DSLR user already has what he wants and that has nothing whatever to do with 'reducing size'.

"I not only want an Expedition, I need it instead of those crossover toys"... A familiar theme in the late 90s and until about a decade ago.

I think you'll find more people moving from small cars UP to 'crossovers', than moving from real trucks DOWN to crossovers. BTW I own a real truck (in addition to a car) and am not interested in a crossover at this stage.

My mom in law has one of those 'crossovers' and it is about as able to fill an Expedition's role as a unicycle is to fill a Harley Davidson's. It's still just a little car with a taller body.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,025Gear list
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to Olymore, Jul 23, 2013

Lighter is certainly better.  If you don't agree, you can always add some barbell weights to your gear.

 jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,034Gear list
Like?
Re: We are fortunate to have a selection of sizes, prices, and types
In reply to zackiedawg, Jul 23, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Indeed, I do like the size and weight of my DSLR...I find it to be an excellent tool and properly ergonomic for certain types of shooting and paired with certain lenses, better so than my mirrorless or P&S cameras.

However, like a few above alluded to, having a choice of sizes is still the best overall solution - both for me since I like to have multiple cameras, and for the wider marketplace where any given person's definitions of 'too big', 'too small', 'too expensive', etc is completely different from another. The only situation I can think of that would be a nightmare is for the camera marketplace to shrink down to just a single size and shape being available for everyone.

But until recently, if you wanted a sensor larger than 1/1.7", you had to get something like a DSLR, or at least in that size and shape.  So, some of us were living the nightmare, if you want to call it that, of not having what we wanted.  Perhaps technology needed to catch up a bit, but I wanted something closer to non-DSLR film cameras, but a better sensor than what I usually ended up with.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

 GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,568
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 23, 2013

lbj1891 wrote:

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots. I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Yes, I do.  More accurately, I don't even notice it.  But there are DSLRs and there are DSLRs.  My D5100 with 18-105 VR probably weighs 1/3 or less than a guy's D4 plus some high dollar heavy lens.  It seems that those who complain about the size and weight don't consider a lighter DX from the same manufacturer.

But since I didn't read through this thread maybe that's already been suggested.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FrancoD
Regular MemberPosts: 409
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 24, 2013

If you can pick up a basketball with one hand you will find most compact cameras to be far too small.

The converse is also true.
That is why there can never be a single  "best" camera (most things really)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,334Gear list
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to Midwest, Jul 24, 2013

Midwest wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

brianj wrote:

Would you rather carry around a clock or a watch, a desktop PC or a ipad, its common sense to want to carry a small camera, the current gymnastics that people are willing to cope with to carry a DSLR is an interim thing, until the industry can reduce the size and retain whatever it is that DSLR owners want.

I want a camera with plenty of body controls which are large enough and spaced out enough to be easily used. I want a camera that doesn't make me feel like I'm using a toy.

This DSLR user already has what he wants and that has nothing whatever to do with 'reducing size'.

"I not only want an Expedition, I need it instead of those crossover toys"... A familiar theme in the late 90s and until about a decade ago.

I think you'll find more people moving from small cars UP to 'crossovers', than moving from real trucks DOWN to crossovers. BTW I own a real truck (in addition to a car) and am not interested in a crossover at this stage.

Reality begs to differ. SUV is no longer the word. CUV it is.

My mom in law has one of those 'crossovers' and it is about as able to fill an Expedition's role as a unicycle is to fill a Harley Davidson's. It's still just a little car with a taller body.

Denial.

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
Complain only when I am not using DSLR
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 24, 2013

Unfortunately I am not shooting in >95% of the time.

Yes I grow old with DSLR, so now I have multiple cameras, one for each occasion.

Watch out for the smartphone.

 DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Love the size and feel of my DSLR
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 24, 2013

For most situations, I prefer a full-sized DSLR, and my lightweight carbon fiber tripod. I have a D800 and have owned a 5D Mk II, D7000, and many smaller APS-C DSLRs like the D3200, K-30, as well as tons of mirrorless cameras.

The small APS-C DSLRs for the most part are much less usable and ergonomic. And they don't balance well with my previous 70-200 f/2.8 or my new 70-200 f/4 VR.

Small mirrorless cameras and P&S can be convenient for portability, but for shooting experience, unless you are just doing mindless snapshots, street photography or travel photography, a DSLR like the D7000 or the FFs provide a significantly nicer shooting experience for me. Large, bright OVF, deep grip, lenses that are not focus-by-wire, and the ability to shoot static subjects and things that move quickly and erratically.

One of my pet peeves on these forums is the prevailing trend in thought that smaller camera size is a bonus.  For most serious photography, it is not.

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,025Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the size and feel of my DSLR
In reply to marike6, Jul 24, 2013

marike6 wrote:

For most situations, I prefer a full-sized DSLR, and my lightweight carbon fiber tripod. I have a D800 and have owned a 5D Mk II, D7000, and many smaller APS-C DSLRs like the D3200, K-30, as well as tons of mirrorless cameras.

The small APS-C DSLRs for the most part are much less usable and ergonomic. And they don't balance well with my previous 70-200 f/2.8 or my new 70-200 f/4 VR.

Small mirrorless cameras and P&S can be convenient for portability, but for shooting experience, unless you are just doing mindless snapshots, street photography or travel photography, a DSLR like the D7000 or the FFs provide a significantly nicer shooting experience for me. Large, bright OVF, deep grip, lenses that are not focus-by-wire, and the ability to shoot static subjects and things that move quickly and erratically.

One of my pet peeves on these forums is the prevailing trend in thought that smaller camera size is a bonus. For most serious photography, it is not.

Smaller size camera is indeed a bonus for walking all day in hot humid place toting a camera.  And that is for serious photography .   But serious has not been defined nor the definition agreed upon.  So far. 

 jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,309Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the size and feel of my DSLR
In reply to jonrobertp, Jul 24, 2013

jonrobertp wrote:

marike6 wrote:

For most situations, I prefer a full-sized DSLR, and my lightweight carbon fiber tripod. I have a D800 and have owned a 5D Mk II, D7000, and many smaller APS-C DSLRs like the D3200, K-30, as well as tons of mirrorless cameras.

The small APS-C DSLRs for the most part are much less usable and ergonomic. And they don't balance well with my previous 70-200 f/2.8 or my new 70-200 f/4 VR.

Small mirrorless cameras and P&S can be convenient for portability, but for shooting experience, unless you are just doing mindless snapshots, street photography or travel photography, a DSLR like the D7000 or the FFs provide a significantly nicer shooting experience for me. Large, bright OVF, deep grip, lenses that are not focus-by-wire, and the ability to shoot static subjects and things that move quickly and erratically.

One of my pet peeves on these forums is the prevailing trend in thought that smaller camera size is a bonus. For most serious photography, it is not.

Smaller size camera is indeed a bonus for walking all day in hot humid place toting a camera. And that is for serious photography . But serious has not been defined nor the definition agreed upon. So far.

Serious photography is different for every person I suspect.  For me no photography is serious, its just complete fun and a joy to perform.

Brian

 brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chenezo5507
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to Amamba, Jul 24, 2013

Hey guys! I've had my 7D for over a year now and its great..I hike a lot and carrying the 7D around on a hike can be hectic..... the prosumer cameras that are available now can do nearly do just as much as much as a dslr...As mentioned above, the NEX series cameras are awesome as they are small and compact,and of course the quality is great... It sure as hell a lot easier to carry when going on hikes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,025Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the size and feel of my DSLR
In reply to brianj, Jul 24, 2013

Serious is when I'm paid to do it, or commissioned, or it's part of a plan to secure a specific image that I wanted more than a little.

 jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
StayClassy
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 24, 2013

lbj1891 wrote:

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots. I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Call me jaded because I honestly don't care how heavy or large a camera is, so long as the performance is top notch, but power to that guy for finding what works best for him.

I personally love the weight of an SLT (Sony A99) with a battery grip, a G lens, and flash. Sure, it's cumbersome and large, but it makes me respect every picture I take every time I raise it to my eye. That weight and grip make me feel like I'm looking through something with a soul; something that took countless hours of prototyping, designing, crafting, constructing, and tweaking.

I just feel as though the weight is justifiable with the end result, simply because my photos are starting to go from ho-hum easy snapshot of something kewl, to what I at least think is art.

All because of the respect I have every time I lift that heavy beast to my eyes. Makes me shoot less, but shoot more.

-- hide signature --

When people ask me whether I'm a photographer, I tell them that I'm more of a time artist. After all, my art is my ability to freeze time and capture a moment forever.

 StayClassy's gear list:StayClassy's gear list
Sony SLT-A99
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the size and feel of my DSLR
In reply to jonrobertp, Jul 24, 2013

jonrobertp wrote:

marike6 wrote:

For most situations, I prefer a full-sized DSLR, and my lightweight carbon fiber tripod. I have a D800 and have owned a 5D Mk II, D7000, and many smaller APS-C DSLRs like the D3200, K-30, as well as tons of mirrorless cameras.

The small APS-C DSLRs for the most part are much less usable and ergonomic. And they don't balance well with my previous 70-200 f/2.8 or my new 70-200 f/4 VR.

Small mirrorless cameras and P&S can be convenient for portability, but for shooting experience, unless you are just doing mindless snapshots, street photography or travel photography, a DSLR like the D7000 or the FFs provide a significantly nicer shooting experience for me. Large, bright OVF, deep grip, lenses that are not focus-by-wire, and the ability to shoot static subjects and things that move quickly and erratically.

One of my pet peeves on these forums is the prevailing trend in thought that smaller camera size is a bonus. For most serious photography, it is not.

Smaller size camera is indeed a bonus for walking all day in hot humid place toting a camera. And that is for serious photography . But serious has not been defined nor the definition agreed upon. So far.

You are quite right.  I only used the term "serious" to differentiate from quick snapshots not as a snobbish value judgement.

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,568
Like?
Re: Love the size and feel of my DSLR
In reply to marike6, Jul 24, 2013

"You are quite right. I only used the term "serious" to differentiate from quick snapshots not as a snobbish value judgement."

I treat every shot I take with my DSLRs as "serious".  Even if I'm not out on a paid assignment, every pic I take I regard as having value more than just a snapshot.  Down the road a client may ask me (happens all the time) "do you have a shot of..." and many times I will have taken that exact shot, just walking around.  So a "snapshot" turns into money!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads