Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to scorrpio, Jul 23, 2013

scorrpio wrote:

Zlik wrote:

I'll summarize my feelings like that:

• The second I lift a camera to take a picture, I absolutely love and prefer the feel/speed of a DSLR like the D700-D800, 5DmkII-III and above (D3s, 1Dx). Anything smaller is just less optimal (even entry level DSLRs are a pain to use).
  • The second I put the camera down (hanging around the neck) or back in the bag, I, of course, prefer smaller and lighter cameras

Yup.

I want Hermione Granger's bag from Deathly Hallows to carry my photo gear in.

'Accio 70-200!'

Exactly !

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daisy AU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
In reply to happysnapper64, Jul 23, 2013

happysnapper64 wrote:

The D7000 was my second choice if I didn't get the 7D. I go a lot on feel & handling, & the D7000 felt almost as comfortable as the 7D, which is quite a compliment IMO.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Mohamed Ali.

LOL

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
( Nikon D7000 and V1 )
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576Gear list
Like?
Re: I Do Not Complain About DSLR Size
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 23, 2013

When running and gunning, I want fast AF, a grip that fills my right hand, and buttons and dials that allow me to operate the camera without having to look at it much, if at all. In low light, the ability to use a top-tier shoe-mounted flash can make getting the shot much easier. For times like this, I have no complaints about a DSLR's size, weight, or bulk.

When doing something that occupies my hands,  it is nice to have a camera that can be carried unobtrusively. A DSLR with a pancake lens may be sufficiently unobtrusive, or I might need to down-size to a something like our Nikon Coolpix A. (Well, my wife thinks it is hers, so I am saving for another Nikon A, or perhaps another compact of high quality.)

Regardless, this is not an either/or thing. Our cameras range from large pro-DSLRs with integral vertical grips, to consumer-sized SLR/DSLR, to compact. We have yet to own anything like NEX or Micro-4/3, but that could happen in the future.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D Mark II N +24 more
trac63
Contributing MemberPosts: 542
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots. I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Portability and stealth can be all-important in a lot of situations, but for general-purpose shooting smaller is better only up to a point. Once you get smaller than a mid-size DSLR, then smaller and lighter starts to cut into overall handling. The manufacturer starts having to remove buttons, dials and switches or he has to make them too small and too close together.

I also believe that a big part of the "DSLRs are too heavy" nonsense has to do with the crappy neck straps that ship with your average DSLR. A good $75 shoulder strap will go a long way toward solving the weight issue for most people.

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,361
Like?
In reply to brianj, Jul 23, 2013

brianj wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

brianj wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots. I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Would you rather carry around a clock or a watch, a desktop PC or a ipad, its common sense to want to carry a small camera, the current gymnastics that people are willing to cope with to carry a DSLR is an interim thing, until the industry can reduce the size and retain whatever it is that DSLR owners want.

Maybe this one would be more satisfying.

Brian

Why are you being so condescending? To answer your question though, I actually prefer my laptop to the pads. To each their own.

I didn't mean to be condescending, sorry if that came accross, I was just trying to find a way to illustrate my point better.  Interesting about the laptop, in scale I would equate that to a mirrorless size, so you would prefer not to carry your desktop PC around yet you prefer to carry a DSLR.

Brian

Maybe this has been said already, but the foolishness of your comparison made me stop reading.

My DSLR fits in one hand, just like every other camera.

Do you need more room in your camera holding hand for something else?

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,208Gear list
Like?
We are fortunate to have a selection of sizes, prices, and types

lbj1891 wrote:

But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Indeed, I do like the size and weight of my DSLR...I find it to be an excellent tool and properly ergonomic for certain types of shooting and paired with certain lenses, better so than my mirrorless or P&S cameras.

However, like a few above alluded to, having a choice of sizes is still the best overall solution - both for me since I like to have multiple cameras, and for the wider marketplace where any given person's definitions of 'too big', 'too small', 'too expensive', etc is completely different from another.  The only situation I can think of that would be a nightmare is for the camera marketplace to shrink down to just a single size and shape being available for everyone.

I've almost always been a multiple model buyer, in many aspects of my life, cameras included.  I have long enjoyed the utility and go-anywhere capability of sport-utility vehicles, of which I've owned models since 1990.  At the same time, I love the speed, handling, and stance of sporty cars, and have had those as well all the way back to 1985.  The perfect car for me is two cars - one small and sporty, one larger and more flexible for passenger/cargo configuration.  I have multiple watches, as I find some nice leather band multi-complication analog watches to be perfect for more formal occasions, but metal-band sport watches with waterproofing and shockproofing to be better for outdoors and active use.  I also have heavier watches and much thinner, lighter ones better for certain occasions or wearing to bed.  I've got a desktop computer for big work needs and processing power, but also a laptop for portable needs - actually recently upgraded to a laptop/tablet hybrid so I have a third configuration covered for specialized needs.

With cameras, I always had SLRs since I was 8 years old, but also often had an Instamatic alongside it with 110 film for lighter travel needs.  As I moved to digital, I kept the same trend, buying a small compact alongside a prosumer, later an ultracompact alongside a DSLR, and currently a DSLR, mirrorless, and ultracompact, to cover all bases.  I love them all, and specifically for their sizes...I love the big weighty DSLR for its balance with big primes, love the mirrorless for having DSLR-quality IQ and lens-interchangeability in a much smaller, lighter and more portable kit, and I love the ultracompact for being able to sit in a car cupholder or shirt pocket for quickie shooting needs or to come along when a camera is not needed or planned but the occasional shot opportunity may present itself.  The mirrorless and DSLR split duties almost 50/50 right now for me, and the ultracompact gets about 1%...I don't foresee mirrorless taking over any more duties from DSLR - they compliment eachother very well for me and will likely share duties for the foreseeable future.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +24 more
DJF77
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Re: We are fortunate to have a selection of sizes, prices, and types
In reply to zackiedawg, Jul 23, 2013

I dont think it's the size in use of the DSLR that people complain about, because generally they have a nice grip and are comfortable in the hand. Its the DSLR swinging from your neck or waist with a hefty lens on that I think its more the problem.

With a smaller kit (mirrorless) its so much more convenient if you are trying to enjoy a day out and all of you kit fits in a small bag, or the body and small prime will fit snugly in your pocket!

A family day out for example, is a pain in the rump if you want to take your bag of DSLR kit. I'm sure we've all been there and done it. As someone had said before, a few years ago if you wanted good picture quality a DSLR was the only option. Its not the case anymore and that's why we see a lot more posts of people saying they want to give up the DSLR and invest in the smaller mirrorless systems.

justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,425
Like?
Canon SL1/100D - Others to follow?

I don't have one (yet) , but the Canon SL1 / 100D is interesting - real DSLR performance in a smaller package.

I wonder if that will become the new "standard size" for lower-end DSLRs.

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,133
Like?
Absolutely

lbj1891 wrote:

But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Absolutely. My 7D feels like a real, substantial camera - comfortable to hold and use.

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

I would  be happy if my DSLR was the size of a Nikon FM or similar SLR - with a full frame sensor.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Midwest
Like?
In reply to brianj, Jul 23, 2013

brianj wrote:

Would you rather carry around a clock or a watch, a desktop PC or a ipad, its common sense to want to carry a small camera, the current gymnastics that people are willing to cope with to carry a DSLR is an interim thing, until the industry can reduce the size and retain whatever it is that DSLR owners want.

I want a camera with plenty of body controls which are large enough and spaced out enough to be easily used. I want a camera that doesn't make me feel like I'm using a toy.

This DSLR user already has what he wants and that has nothing whatever to do with 'reducing size'.

Midwest
Like?
Re: Canon SL1/100D - Others to follow?
In reply to justmeMN, Jul 23, 2013

justmeMN wrote:

I don't have one (yet) , but the Canon SL1 / 100D is interesting - real DSLR performance in a smaller package.

I wonder if that will become the new "standard size" for lower-end DSLRs.

Only for those who want a smaller camera. Not everyone does. I can't figure why people who don't use DSLR's are so sure most of us want them to be smaller.

Pritzl
Contributing MemberPosts: 571Gear list
Like?

The answer, as for most questions in life, is, "it depends..."
I prefer the heft of a DSLR for the improved ergonomics and handling. I also accept the trade-off in favour of better IQ.
On the other hand, I absolutely hate the equipment lugging part or how obtrusive a DSLR with a big honking lens can be.
So, my solution, until someone can come up with a collapsible DSLR is to use my secondary camera (Fuji X10) when ultimate IQ isn't the overriding objective.

Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,267
Like?
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 23, 2013

Donald Chin wrote:

Donald Chin wrote:

However for those who only need a entry level standard zoom kit set DSLR for causal snaps, I would recommend them to get a RX100 instead.

I suppose it depends on why a person is interested in a DSLR to begin with. I don't care about extra lenses or accessories, and even a compact point and shoot has all the image quality I need, but I've always loved the handling and viewfinder of the SLR design, whether film or digital. To me, an RX100, or any other such camera with no viewfinder, is in no way comparable, but I do hope the OP's friend finds his new Powershot, whatever model he ended up with, a pleasure to use.

Yes, OVF has it advantage in following action, however most of us use smartphone to take picture too, so I don't see OVF or EVF is a must these days.

People are different, and that's okay.  For myself, anytime I'm outdoors, I find a DSLR's viewfinder much easier to see clearly and compose a picture with than any LCD or EVF that I've tried, and I've tried quite a few by just visiting my local camera store and taking their display models outside to try out.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,426Gear list
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Jul 23, 2013

brianj wrote:

I want a camera with plenty of body controls which are large enough and spaced out enough to be easily used. I want a camera that doesn't make me feel like I'm using a toy.

This DSLR user already has what he wants and that has nothing whatever to do with 'reducing size'.

"I not only want an Expedition, I need it instead of those crossover toys"... A familiar theme in the late 90s and until about a decade ago.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
linslus
Contributing MemberPosts: 686Gear list
Like?
In reply to CFynn, Jul 23, 2013

CFynn wrote:

I would be happy if my DSLR was the size of a Nikon FM or similar SLR - with a full frame sensor.

Agree!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_FM2

linslus's gear list:linslus's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,225Gear list
Like?
In reply to jrtrent, Jul 23, 2013

jrtrent wrote:

Donald Chin wrote:

Donald Chin wrote:

However for those who only need a entry level standard zoom kit set DSLR for causal snaps, I would recommend them to get a RX100 instead.

I suppose it depends on why a person is interested in a DSLR to begin with. I don't care about extra lenses or accessories, and even a compact point and shoot has all the image quality I need, but I've always loved the handling and viewfinder of the SLR design, whether film or digital. To me, an RX100, or any other such camera with no viewfinder, is in no way comparable, but I do hope the OP's friend finds his new Powershot, whatever model he ended up with, a pleasure to use.

Yes, OVF has it advantage in following action, however most of us use smartphone to take picture too, so I don't see OVF or EVF is a must these days.

People are different, and that's okay. For myself, anytime I'm outdoors, I find a DSLR's viewfinder much easier to see clearly and compose a picture with than any LCD or EVF that I've tried, and I've tried quite a few by just visiting my local camera store and taking their display models outside to try out.

Camera is just a tool, the best is always the one that can get your job done! Imagine you need to frame a over head shot or ground level shot then you will know flip LCD mon is your best friend!

Donald Chin
Like?
In reply to Aaron Sur, Jul 23, 2013

Aaron Sur wrote:

Im with you on the D4 , the D800e with the battery grip fells alt heavier as well. Shot a conference with the D800e and 14-24mm 2.8 as well as the 35mm 1.4, another photographer had the Canon 5Dmk2 with the 24-105L it felt so light in comparison I was almost jealous

However I like to use the D800E for conference as I can forget about the 70~200/2.8, the 24~70/2.8 in crop mode still have enough resolution for press.

-- hide signature --
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,026Gear list
Like?
No.

I don't like it because I hike a lot. However, developments like the D600 still seem tempting (for when I do not hike and want topnotch IQ). But if I could get that IQ in a OMD sized body with OMD sized lenses, I would be a lot happier still.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +9 more
Donald Chin
Like?
Re: No.
In reply to Jorginho, Jul 23, 2013

Jorginho wrote:

I don't like it because I hike a lot. However, developments like the D600 still seem tempting (for when I do not hike and want topnotch IQ). But if I could get that IQ in a OMD sized body with OMD sized lenses, I would be a lot happier still.

Get yourself a RX1/R. 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads