Complaints About DSLR Size

Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions
Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,262Gear list
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to Prime85, Jul 23, 2013

Prime85 wrote:

An Olympus E-PL1 or E-PM1 is an excellent choice. I have seen them as low as $75.00 on craigs list and up to $250.00 new.

Better avoid the aging Panasonic 12MP CMOS sensor, it DR is even worst than the smallest 1/2.3" BSI CMOS, not to mention the 1" BSI CMOS. 

DXO Mark RX100II vs SX50HS vs EPL1

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris Lofty
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 23, 2013

I've just about found the perfect compromise for me, the Canon SL1 with 18-55 is STM Lens!

I've been lugging round my 50D for years whilst hiking and cycling! My aging back is now making this a real chore.

When the Canon G1X arrived I thought it would be the ideal compromise between portability and IQ! The IQ was outstanding, but I could never get on with the near useless viewfinder and the handling, then along came the SL1!

I've been using the SL1 & 18-55 IS STM for 3 weeks now, and am totally bowled over by the IQ, handling and light weight (compared with my other gear) I'm even using the touchscreen that I thought would be surplus to my requirements!

I will still keep my 50D and accompanying L glass, but it will now only be used for special occasions. The portability of the SL1 means it can be with me most of the time and still give me acceptable results for microstock.

-- hide signature --
 Chris Lofty's gear list:Chris Lofty's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 14,231Gear list
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots. I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

I feel the heft of the professional DSLR helps me take steady images with slow shutter speeds. 'Polar moment of inertia.'

I can see how some people don't want to carry a heavy camera. I only have a problem when they word it like everyone should want a lighter camera.

-- hide signature --

"If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears."
--Cesare Pavese

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
iau
iau
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?

I like the feel an solid grip of my DSLR (D600). My first DSLR was the D70. Then I bought a D300 because I wanted to be able to meter with older AI-S lenses, but got sort of tired with the weight (or mor correctly, the size). This is when I started trying out mirrorless cameras. When the D7000 came out I got it since it was a smaller and lighter DSLR with the same ability to meter with older lenses. I was starting to be very conscious regarding size but didn't want to leave DSLR. Anyway I upgraded to the D600 since it was a full frame in a smaller package. Been very happy with the IQ and find it hard to leave Nikon FX for DX anymore, but the size is still bothering me.

On the forums a lot of DSLR user seem to be using mirrorless as a second camera but in the real world I usually see DSLRs only. But what I notice is that many of those are the smaller sized DSLRs from Nikon, Canon or Sony. So, where this rambling is heading - when enthusiasts (like me) complain about DSLR size and flirt with mirrorless, we always tend to compare one of the more advanced and larger models of DSLR to the mirrorless alternatives. What I have started wondering about is simply to downsize to the Nikon D5200. Yes, I know the D7100 is between, but it is almost as large as the D600. What I would like to know is if anyone enthusiastic (I guess most reading these forums are) have done that and not regreted?

I like to always carry a camera with me, but I'm not a typical street shooters. More casual snapshots and hiking, but that is not to say I do not care about the IQ. Tend to be too much of a pixle peeper...

-iau

PS. I wish Nikon would start to think outside of the box and if they could make a new "DSLR" without the mirror. I guess they could still make adapters for those that wanted to use old lenses. The only problem is losing the OFV.

iau's gear list:iau's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
iau
iau
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
In reply to brianj, Jul 23, 2013

brianj wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots. I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Would you rather carry around a clock or a watch, a desktop PC or a ipad, its common sense to want to carry a small camera, the current gymnastics that people are willing to cope with to carry a DSLR is an interim thing, until the industry can reduce the size and retain whatever it is that DSLR owners want.

This got me thinking. DSLR = Desktop (workhorse that stays at home), mirrorles = laptop (bring when you know you'll want/need it) and high-end P&S = ipad (just for the sake of carrying something) 

iau's gear list:iau's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 988
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

I'll summarize my feelings like that:

• The second I lift a camera to take a picture, I absolutely love and prefer the feel/speed of a DSLR like the D700-D800, 5DmkII-III and above (D3s, 1Dx). Anything smaller is just less optimal (even entry level DSLRs are a pain to use).
  • The second I put the camera down (hanging around the neck) or back in the bag, I, of course, prefer smaller and lighter cameras.

After that, the choice of the camera depends on which point is more important for which situation. Wedding ? Shooting is priority -> D800 + D3s. Walking around for taking pictures? I still prefer the D800 (D3s is already too heavy in that situation). Traveling and casual shooting ? D5200 if I want to come back with great photos, Nokia 808 when I don't to carry a separate device/bag.

jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
You've taken your analogy way too far

brianj wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

brianj wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

Would you rather carry around a clock or a watch, a desktop PC or a ipad, its common sense to want to carry a small camera, the current gymnastics that people are willing to cope with to carry a DSLR is an interim thing, until the industry can reduce the size and retain whatever it is that DSLR owners want.

Maybe this one would be more satisfying.

Brian

Why are you being so condescending? To answer your question though, I actually prefer my laptop to the pads. To each their own.

I didn't mean to be condescending, sorry if that came accross, I was just trying to find a way to illustrate my point better. Interesting about the laptop, in scale I would equate that to a mirrorless size, so you would prefer not to carry your desktop PC around yet you prefer to carry a DSLR.

Brian

You think it's ridiculous to carry around a DSLR because you equate it to a desktop and no one carries around a desktop.  I think you've just made a bad analogy.  DSLR != desktop computer.  One is designed to be transportable and with the right strap can be taken anywhere without even noticing it.  A desktop has no battery, generally has no straps, and at best has some handles.

happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,213Gear list
Like?

I had never owned any type of stills camera before I bought my first one in Oct 2011, so I didn't have anything to compare it to. I bought a Canon 600D/T3i. Handled it fine, but arthritis in my hands & fingers got worse, & I found the small body difficult as the controls were difficult for me to use. I have large chubby fingers also so when I tried the bigger 7D it felt great & the controls were beautifully placed. The handling & balance with long lenses, is superb.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Mohamed Ali.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,252Gear list
Like?
Re: You've taken your analogy way too far
In reply to jayrandomer, Jul 23, 2013

jayrandomer wrote:

brianj wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

brianj wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

Maybe this one would be more satisfying.

Brian

Why are you being so condescending? To answer your question though, I actually prefer my laptop to the pads. To each their own.

I didn't mean to be condescending, sorry if that came accross, I was just trying to find a way to illustrate my point better. Interesting about the laptop, in scale I would equate that to a mirrorless size, so you would prefer not to carry your desktop PC around yet you prefer to carry a DSLR.

Brian

You think it's ridiculous to carry around a DSLR because you equate it to a desktop and no one carries around a desktop. I think you've just made a bad analogy. DSLR != desktop computer. One is designed to be transportable and with the right strap can be taken anywhere without even noticing it. A desktop has no battery, generally has no straps, and at best has some handles.

Obviously they are not physically the same, but I think of the DSLR as a stationary device that might be left permanently or semi permanently mounted on a stand or tripod like in a studio or shopping centre where a photographer takes pictures of babies.  For me it is not the type of thing that I would want attached to my body and take everywhere I go, like I can with a small belt bag containing a P&S.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Daisy AU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

I don't mind holding the D7000 when taking shots, but I don't like carrying it for extended periods of time. So, here is where the V1 comes in.  If I know I have to carry a camera all day, I favour the V1.  If I go out just for a few hours, then the D7000 is fine.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
( Nikon D7000 and V1 )
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,610
Like?
In reply to Zlik, Jul 23, 2013

Zlik wrote:

I'll summarize my feelings like that:

• The second I lift a camera to take a picture, I absolutely love and prefer the feel/speed of a DSLR like the D700-D800, 5DmkII-III and above (D3s, 1Dx). Anything smaller is just less optimal (even entry level DSLRs are a pain to use).
  • The second I put the camera down (hanging around the neck) or back in the bag, I, of course, prefer smaller and lighter cameras

Yup.

I want Hermione Granger's bag from Deathly Hallows to carry my photo gear in.

'Accio 70-200!'

jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,335
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

I guess what surprises me is that anyone finds a DSLR particularly big and heavy; then again, I don't know which model was stolen from your friend. My Samsung GX-1S with kit zoom is lighter than a TLR and lighter than the Pentax SP1000 with 55mm Takumar I bought in the 1970's; both of those were considered lightweight, easily portable cameras, and so is my DSLR.

What I like is the hand-filling, ergonomic shape; easy control access; and the through-the-lens, optical viewfinder that makes it easy to see and compose my shots.  I could be happy with the image quality of a compact camera, but I find them more difficult to control and less fun to take pictures with than a DSLR.

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,969Gear list
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots.

I wonder how much of it is not wanting to put so much money at risk of being stolen again?

But years ago, I met a guy who sells used camera equipment, and with all sorts of available lenses, he was using something like a Canon Powershot.  He holds up an 8x10 and tells me that he sees nothing wrong with the photo.  How can I argue with that?  It is simply good enough for the intended purpose.  (Of course, the photo was taken in bright daylight...)

I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

I don't have a problem with the weight when I first pick it up.  It's after an hour or two, and I wonder why my neck's sore.  I look for a place to put it, and the pockets are out.  I sit at a table for lunch, and there's hardly enough room to fit it on the table.  How much of this before it's not a lot of fun?  Then you show me a camera that's a fraction of the size and photos look just as good (better, really), and I don't mind upgrading to mirrorless.

It's not like I do much in the way of "action sports".  But I think the usability of "lesser" cameras is better than some people would like to admit.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,335
Like?
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 23, 2013

Donald Chin wrote:

However for those who only need a entry level standard zoom kit set DSLR for causal snaps, I would recommend them to get a RX100 instead.

I suppose it depends on why a person is interested in a DSLR to begin with.  I don't care about extra lenses or accessories, and even a compact point and shoot has all the image quality I need, but I've always loved the handling and viewfinder of the SLR design, whether film or digital.  To me, an RX100, or any other such camera with no viewfinder, is in no way comparable, but I do hope the OP's friend finds his new Powershot, whatever model he ended up with, a pleasure to use.

jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
An SLR is not a stationary device

brianj wrote:

jayrandomer wrote:

brianj wrote:

Brian

You think it's ridiculous to carry around a DSLR because you equate it to a desktop and no one carries around a desktop. I think you've just made a bad analogy. DSLR != desktop computer. One is designed to be transportable and with the right strap can be taken anywhere without even noticing it. A desktop has no battery, generally has no straps, and at best has some handles.

Obviously they are not physically the same, but I think of the DSLR as a stationary device that might be left permanently or semi permanently mounted on a stand or tripod like in a studio or shopping centre where a photographer takes pictures of babies. For me it is not the type of thing that I would want attached to my body and take everywhere I go, like I can with a small belt bag containing a P&S.

Brian

You may think of it that way, but a DSLR is not a stationary device and the overwhelmingly majority of owners will carry them under the right circumstances (I carry my T2i with me almost everywhere).  A desktop computer is a stationary device and the overwhelming majority of users keep them in a fixed location.  There may be some parallels you can draw between a desktop and a DSLR, but portability is NOT one of them.

I appreciate that it may be a stationary device for you, but you should understand that puts you in the extreme minority.  If DSLRs were commonly used in that way, the AC adapter would be standard equipment and they probably wouldn't come with straps.

Perhaps a better analogy in terms of portability would be P+S = cell phone, MILC = tablet, DSLR = laptop

Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,262Gear list
Like?
In reply to jrtrent, Jul 23, 2013

Donald Chin wrote:

However for those who only need a entry level standard zoom kit set DSLR for causal snaps, I would recommend them to get a RX100 instead.

I suppose it depends on why a person is interested in a DSLR to begin with.  I don't care about extra lenses or accessories, and even a compact point and shoot has all the image quality I need, but I've always loved the handling and viewfinder of the SLR design, whether film or digital.  To me, an RX100, or any other such camera with no viewfinder, is in no way comparable, but I do hope the OP's friend finds his new Powershot, whatever model he ended up with, a pleasure to use.

Yes, OVF has it advantage in following action, however most of us use smartphone to take picture too, so I don't see OVF or EVF is a must these days.

Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 948
Like?
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 23, 2013

Im with you on the D4 , the D800e with the battery grip fells alt heavier as well. Shot a conference with the D800e and 14-24mm 2.8  as well as the 35mm 1.4, another photographer had the Canon 5Dmk2 with the 24-105L it felt so light in comparison I was almost jealous

Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?

Complaining about the size of a camera is akin to complaining about a rock in your shoe.

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,213Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daisy AU, Jul 23, 2013

The D7000 was my second choice if I didn't get the 7D. I go a lot on feel & handling, & the D7000 felt almost as comfortable as the 7D, which is quite a compliment IMO.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Mohamed Ali.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
roby17269
Contributing MemberPosts: 891Gear list
Like?

I've recently bought a 200 f/2 lens (Canon)... so no I do not mind size and weight

I actually prefer the size and solidity of my Canon 1D X body compared to smaller cameras....

But horses for courses: this is all very subjective and my case/opinion may or may not work for others.

-- hide signature --
 roby17269's gear list:roby17269's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Nik Silver Efex Pro Nik Color Efex Pro Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Canon EOS-1D X +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads