Complaints About DSLR Size

Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions
lbj1891
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Complaints About DSLR Size
Jul 22, 2013

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots. I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

lbj1891's gear list:lbj1891's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
DSHAPK
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?
Re: Complaints About DSLR Size
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 22, 2013

I don't have any issue with my gripped t4i and an L lens on the body. Of course, when I'm older and more feeble it may be a different scenario.

DSHAPK's gear list:DSHAPK's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,078Gear list
Like?

It wasn't as much about weight as it was about size.   After years of DSLR-ing, I found it attractive to down-size (sometime between the relase of the 5D and 5D2 I was starting to question the need for size, when eye-ing the film SLR in the cabinet).   The loss of weight was an advantage too, don't get me wrong [g].   The trade off was to ask more of myself than I had to with the DSLR.   Which was a timely thing to do at that point, and I also regard that as a positive aspect of walking away from said mass.

There was a time there wasn't a choice.   It was either Prosumer or DSLR.   We just have another respectable option now for whatever reasons one might want such an option.   That's really all it is.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Amamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 839Gear list
Like?

I ha no issues with my Canon Rebels over seven years I shot them, actually I thought that a gripped Rebel was the best of both worlds when it came to portability and IQ.

In April, I bought a used Sony Next F3 on CL, just because the price was low and I figured I could use it as a travel P&S replacement. I ended up selling all of my Canon gear. I just couldn't bring myself to pick it up anymore, it felt huge and unwieldy. I am fully transitioned to Nex now. Of course, being able to use old legacy lenses with ease was another huge factor. You do give up some AF speed, though, when compared to truly fast focusing Canon lenses (e.g. EF 85 1/8 USM).  But the IQ is there, DSLR like level of control over your photos is there, and overall I feel my photography has improved. It's so easy to just throw a small camera with a prime attached in car or backpack, and take photos if and when you feel like it, no pressure to use that mountain of gear you had to bring with you.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

All the research and thought in the world can't substitute for actually handling the camera in real life, so if it's at all possible, try before you buy.

gwlaw99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,104
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots. I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

You would think your friend would at least get a NEX 3N or RX100 instead of going to point and shoots.

I do like the ergonomics of a DSLR much more than other formats, but I really don't like the size.

brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,028Gear list
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

So I just had a conversation with my buddy about cameras. He told me while he likes the image quality and versatility of DSLRs, he dislikes the weight and size that comes along with it. Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots. I respect and understand his perspective, so note that this thread is not intended to be an argument about DSLR vs. Mirrorless or anything silly like that. But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Would you rather carry around a clock or a watch, a desktop PC or a ipad, its common sense to want to carry a small camera, the current gymnastics that people are willing to cope with to carry a DSLR is an interim thing, until the industry can reduce the size and retain whatever it is that DSLR owners want.

Maybe this one would be more satisfying.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,307Gear list
Like?
I allow myself the luxury of two cameras

I gave up on the idea that I will ever be able to sell any of my holiday snapshots, and so my Canon PowerShot S100 is very convenient and has acceptable IQ for holiday and social photography.

On the other hand, the people who will use their time and patience to sit for me for portraiture should have the best technical IQ I can afford, so for that I use my Canon 7D.

I know very well that the S100 is limiting in some ways, but I try to live with it and use it's full potential. But then again: it is only a hobby.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
lbj1891
Like?
In reply to brianj, Jul 22, 2013

brianj wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

Would you rather carry around a clock or a watch, a desktop PC or a ipad, its common sense to want to carry a small camera, the current gymnastics that people are willing to cope with to carry a DSLR is an interim thing, until the industry can reduce the size and retain whatever it is that DSLR owners want.

Brian

Why are you being so condescending? To answer your question though, I actually prefer my laptop to the pads. To each their own.

lbj1891
Like?
In reply to gwlaw99, Jul 22, 2013

gwlaw99 wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

You would think your friend would at least get a NEX 3N or RX100 instead of going to point and shoots.

I do like the ergonomics of a DSLR much more than other formats, but I really don't like the size.

I think the used powershot he just purchased was more in his price range. We are both poor college students.

brianj
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

brianj wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

Brian

Why are you being so condescending? To answer your question though, I actually prefer my laptop to the pads. To each their own.

I didn't mean to be condescending, sorry if that came accross, I was just trying to find a way to illustrate my point better.  Interesting about the laptop, in scale I would equate that to a mirrorless size, so you would prefer not to carry your desktop PC around yet you prefer to carry a DSLR.

Brian

brianj
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

gwlaw99 wrote:

lbj1891 wrote:

I think the used powershot he just purchased was more in his price range. We are both poor college students.

That's inferring that someone would only buy a P&S if they were forced into it by economics, I recently bought a new superzoom for a holiday trip when i could have bought anything I wanted, how can you explain that.   The small camera performed incredibly well and I was very pleased with the set of photos, so much so that I now use this camera as my only carry around for everyday use.

Brian

lbj1891
Like?
In reply to brianj, Jul 22, 2013

I can't explain that...But, I think the point of what I was saying is that even if my roommate had enough to buy another DSLR, he wouldn't because he doesn't like the size and weight. He's not purchasing a MILC because it's out of his price range. If he had more money, it's possible he'd be buying the mirrorless. Reading into this more than that is pointless and is distracting from my original question.

However, the comparison that comes to my mind is about cars. Some people like the heft and big body feel of a big Cadillac or S class Mercedes more than the sharp, nimbleness of a smaller vehicle. My uncle would never trade his big ol pickup for a Porsche. It's all about preference, especially in Western society. Wouldn't you agree?

sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,227Gear list
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

I usually carry about 20 lbs of gear and a few hours into a mountain hike, i sometimes wish i just had my S95   It can get a bit hard on the hands too after a few hours of shooting.  I'd actually prefer a larger camera most of the time, my D7000 and D7100 are too small without the grip on.

I can't complain too much though, Ansel Adams regularly carried about 30lbs in a pack and another ~100lbs on a donkey

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,146
Like?
In reply to lbj1891, Jul 23, 2013

But, does anyone actually like the weight and solid feel of their DSLR? I do.

Yes, but not always. It's simply a case of "will this camera do?" and if it does, I will gravitate towards a smaller size mirrorless or compact (I think most would). But I LOVE the more capable camera that allows me to take better photos with less issues in demanding conditions. There is no substitute for getting results easily, whether that camera is larger (usually) or smaller.

And the bond you have with the camera is very important.

As for features, I prefer some featurs in the mirrorless models and I prefer some other aspects of DSLRs.

Long story short, he is replacing the DSLR which was stolen from him with one of the Canon Powershots.

A discounted EOS M might not be a bad idea, assuming he can handle the size? Depending on what kind of shooter he is, he will either be very disappointed with his PowerShot or will live with it happily. I have a friend that did a similar thing with a compact Lumix with no manual features (that he never uses now) since he wants more control (but doesn't want the bulk when I show him my mirrorless).

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

A DSLR and a compact each have their time and place. I don't quite yet see the better compacts replacing DSLRs for every function.

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,118Gear list
Like?

All cameras are compromises.  Period.  You just have to select your suite of advantages and disadvantages.  Size and weight are just one dimension to think about.  IQ is another.  Performance - meaning capability, speed and ergonomics - is still another.  You never get all at the same time.

One solution is to own more than one camera and many of those who post here do - me included.  If you adopt this solution, you then have to decide for each outing which camera(s) to take.  And once you're 'out there', you have to accept the consequences of your decision.

I think a lot of this comes down to purpose and personal preference.  I used to use a 4X5" and a Pentax 67 for their advantages when I needed them. To heck with their size and weight. Today I own a DSLR and too many lenses, a Canon G1X and a Canon G12.  I use the DSLR for its capabilities and leave it at home when I travel. The G1X is my travel camera. The G12 is for social outings and other situations where small size and convenience matter.  So size matters to me.  Do I miss the DSLR - yes occasionally, but not too often.  And too bad - the best camera is the one you have with you.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,222Gear list
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

I complaint the size of D800E because the grip is too narrow to hold, I like the ergonomics of D4.

I'll not complaint the size and weight of D4 + 200/2, 300/2.8/ 400/2.8, 500/4, 600/4, 800/5.6...if I can get them on site from NPS.

However for those who only need a entry level standard zoom kit set DSLR for causal snaps, I would recommend them to get a RX100 instead.

Prime85
Contributing MemberPosts: 720
Like?
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 23, 2013

An Olympus E-PL1 or E-PM1 is an excellent choice.  I have seen them as low as $75.00 on craigs list and up to $250.00 new.

Alleg1
Contributing MemberPosts: 516Gear list
Like?

lbj1891 wrote:

Personally I prefer a larger camera, but bear in mind that many of  the latest DSLRs are very much smaller and lighter than their predecessors, so an alternative might be simply to adopt one of these, perhaps as a second body to, or in place of, a larger model.

This would also allow the use of existing lenses and accessories.

Alleg1's gear list:Alleg1's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Olympus E-510
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads