Imaging Resource reviews XZ-2

Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions
Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,500
Like?
Imaging Resource reviews XZ-2
Jul 22, 2013

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-xz2/olympus-xz2A.HTM

It is fishy to me that reviewers talk so highly of this camera, but then never post a review or wait 10 months after release to do so.  Either there is a problem with the camera that reviewers don't want to talk about (which I doubt) or there are other factors in play (not enough advertising being purchased, keeping other manufacturers happy, or simply not expected to sell enough in related stores, e.g.). This is just one more example of why dpreview has lost viewership and credibility.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,289Gear list
Like?
I suggest you pause and think this over.
In reply to Pikme, Jul 23, 2013

Pikme wrote:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-xz2/olympus-xz2A.HTM

It is fishy to me that reviewers talk so highly of this camera, but then never post a review or wait 10 months after release to do so. Either there is a problem with the camera that reviewers don't want to talk about (which I doubt) or there are other factors in play (not enough advertising being purchased, keeping other manufacturers happy, or simply not expected to sell enough in related stores, e.g.). This is just one more example of why dpreview has lost viewership and credibility.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

As I reviewer that doesn't work for DPR I can chime in here.

First of all there are many cameras being sent to reviewers at many different times through the year, mostly its feast or famine which has a huge effect on when a camera gets reviewed.

Its not only that either, you want to please a majority of readers interested in certain cameras, so that narrows the field of which to choose from. If those cameras aren't available to you by the manufacturer, there's really not much you can do about that. I.E. nobody's fault, just the way the cookie crumbles.

Plus you have schedules to keep meetings to do and many other variables that readers like yourself are totally unware of.

Advertising has  nothing to do with it, nor is there any foul play. Remember, DPR is a business and they want to please readers, not push them away or alienate them. They are only in control of so many things. They get their hands on more new cameras than any other site out there and report as fast as humanly possible, and usually do an excellent job at such.

It's impossible to review every new interesting camera in a short deadline, especially when several manufacturers all offer a camera at once. You have to prioritize in some way, either first come first served, or most popular camera, or whatever, but there has to be some sort of urgency to get reviews out to the most readers possible.

Until you review yourself and work with manufacturers, you really have no idea the kind of pressures and challenges that come with reviewing. It's not as it seems at all. You might want to stop and think about this for a bit and give DPR a break (as well as other review sites).

Carl

-- hide signature --

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,289Gear list
Like?
Re: I suggest you pause and think this over.
In reply to cgarrard, Jul 23, 2013

cgarrard wrote:

Pikme wrote:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-xz2/olympus-xz2A.HTM

It is fishy to me that reviewers talk so highly of this camera, but then never post a review or wait 10 months after release to do so. Either there is a problem with the camera that reviewers don't want to talk about (which I doubt) or there are other factors in play (not enough advertising being purchased, keeping other manufacturers happy, or simply not expected to sell enough in related stores, e.g.). This is just one more example of why dpreview has lost viewership and credibility.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

As I reviewer that doesn't work for DPR I can chime in here.

First of all there are many cameras being sent to reviewers at many different times through the year, mostly its feast or famine which has a huge effect on when a camera gets reviewed.

Its not only that either, you want to please a majority of readers interested in certain cameras, so that narrows the field of which to choose from. If those cameras aren't available to you by the manufacturer, there's really not much you can do about that. I.E. nobody's fault, just the way the cookie crumbles.

Plus you have schedules to keep meetings to do and many other variables that readers like yourself are totally unware of.

Advertising has nothing to do with it, nor is there any foul play. Remember, DPR is a business and they want to please readers, not push them away or alienate them. They are only in control of so many things. They get their hands on more new cameras than any other site out there and report as fast as humanly possible, and usually do an excellent job at such.

It's impossible to review every new interesting camera in a short deadline, especially when several manufacturers all offer a camera at once. You have to prioritize in some way, either first come first served, or most popular camera, or whatever, but there has to be some sort of urgency to get reviews out to the most readers possible.

Until you review yourself and work with manufacturers, you really have no idea the kind of pressures and challenges that come with reviewing. It's not as it seems at all. You might want to stop and think about this for a bit and give DPR a break (as well as other review sites).

Carl

-- hide signature --

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

Oh and by the way, not meant to chastize at all here, hope my tone comes across as informative and not in any other way. I'm just being very honest with you about the process and could bore you with even more details about it, but I won't. It's just one of those things, but DPR aren't doing anything unordinary.

-- hide signature --

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PON307G
Regular MemberPosts: 433Gear list
Like?
Re: Imaging Resource reviews XZ-2
In reply to Pikme, Jul 23, 2013

I like Image Resource's editorial approach, but admit to reading their reviews more for the "shooters report" than the actual review itself. As an XZ-1 owner I was curious about how the XZ-2 handled in the field in comparison, but not necessarily as a direct replacement for my camera.

Regards,

Larry C.

 PON307G's gear list:PON307G's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 880
Like?
Re: I suggest you pause and think this over.
In reply to cgarrard, Jul 23, 2013

The argument about inability to acquire a camera  from a manufacturer really does not stand , especially when the camera is readily available on the open market for several months. Go and buy one or is the website a backyard operation with insufficent funds to afford such a purchase.

Classic case of this is the Olympus EPL-5 , a good camera which has had a preview up for quite a while now and is great value at the price. For God's sake if DPR finds it that hard to get hold of a camera ask it's forum members to loan one if need be

I think you are being very diplomatic here, probably tracking software of some sort looks at the interest in particular models and some gentle lets call it "nudging" from manufacturers helps the decision in posting of reviews.

BTW you have some fantastic images on your website, well worth a look !

Aaron

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,289Gear list
Like?
Re: I suggest you pause and think this over.
In reply to Aaron Sur, Jul 23, 2013

Aaron Sur wrote:

The argument about inability to acquire a camera  from a manufacturer really does not stand , especially when the camera is readily available on the open market for several months. Go and buy one or is the website a backyard operation with insufficent funds to afford such a purchase.

Classic case of this is the Olympus EPL-5 , a good camera which has had a preview up for quite a while now and is great value at the price. For God's sake if DPR finds it that hard to get hold of a camera ask it's forum members to loan one if need be

I think you are being very diplomatic here, probably tracking software of some sort looks at the interest in particular models and some gentle lets call it "nudging" from manufacturers helps the decision in posting of reviews.

BTW you have some fantastic images on your website, well worth a look !

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Thanks btw on the image comment.

Back to the cameras and manufacuters... theres more to it that meets the eye, more detail than my generalization of the problem. One example: Sometimes manufacturers tell you a camera is coming and it gets delayed, so you hold off on one project for it, then it doesnt come. And you are forced to start the one you held off on...

If cameras come in free, why buy one?

And lets not get into the complication of pre-production cameras a lot of reviews are based on. Sometimes you get halfway through a review only to discover that you can't share images even though you were told you could, or a camera has a flaw that will be fixed with firmware, or  or or ...

I'm telling you, there is always a good reason for a delay as unfortunate as it is. Buying a camera only solves one of a myriad of issues that do come up, thats just the way of a reviewers life. You'll just need to do it yourself or trust me here, either way I'm confident you'll come up with the same conclusion or issues we do when writing reviews.

Carl

-- hide signature --

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,500
Like?
Appreciate your reply, but
In reply to cgarrard, Jul 23, 2013

my beef just goes to the fact that dpreview has been talking about the XZ-2 since at least last October when they posted image samples.  They have compared other cameras to the XZ-2 ever since and seem to use it as the reference camera, which makes it incredibly frustrating that they have not posted the review.  Getting the gold award boosts sales, so it just doesn't make sense to me why they have not posted a review for that camera - either they have found a problem and don't want to report it, or they are not wanting to upset other manufacturers by giving Olympus the gold once again.  Or some other reason (not enough sales to make it worth their time), but time pressures, too many cameras, etc. doesn't ring true for me in this particular case.  They keep saying how much they like it, but then never finalize the review.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,289Gear list
Like?
Re: Appreciate your reply, but
In reply to Pikme, Jul 24, 2013

Pikme wrote:

my beef just goes to the fact that dpreview has been talking about the XZ-2 since at least last October when they posted image samples. They have compared other cameras to the XZ-2 ever since and seem to use it as the reference camera, which makes it incredibly frustrating that they have not posted the review. Getting the gold award boosts sales, so it just doesn't make sense to me why they have not posted a review for that camera - either they have found a problem and don't want to report it, or they are not wanting to upset other manufacturers by giving Olympus the gold once again. Or some other reason (not enough sales to make it worth their time), but time pressures, too many cameras, etc. doesn't ring true for me in this particular case. They keep saying how much they like it, but then never finalize the review.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

You aren't obligated to believe me. I'd suggest being a reviewer then, enlightenment shall be yours.

Don't ever forget that DPR offer a free service, none of the content costs viewers here a dime. When things are free I say you can't look a gift horse in the mouth. Keeping things in perspective is key in life sometimes. Its not worth your frustration.
Carl

-- hide signature --

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MiroM
Regular MemberPosts: 253Gear list
Like?
Re: Appreciate your reply, but
In reply to cgarrard, Jul 24, 2013

cgarrard wrote:

Pikme wrote:

my beef just goes to the fact that dpreview has been talking about the XZ-2 since at least last October when they posted image samples. They have compared other cameras to the XZ-2 ever since and seem to use it as the reference camera, which makes it incredibly frustrating that they have not posted the review. Getting the gold award boosts sales, so it just doesn't make sense to me why they have not posted a review for that camera - either they have found a problem and don't want to report it, or they are not wanting to upset other manufacturers by giving Olympus the gold once again. Or some other reason (not enough sales to make it worth their time), but time pressures, too many cameras, etc. doesn't ring true for me in this particular case. They keep saying how much they like it, but then never finalize the review.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

You aren't obligated to believe me. I'd suggest being a reviewer then, enlightenment shall be yours.

Don't ever forget that DPR offer a free service, none of the content costs viewers here a dime. When things are free I say you can't look a gift horse in the mouth. Keeping things in perspective is key in life sometimes. Its not worth your frustration.
Carl

-- hide signature --

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

Yeah, I've noticed, the DPR rather review the phone camera as soon as it enters the market. Like todays Nokia Lumia 1020.

Ach, well, it's their business after all.

 MiroM's gear list:MiroM's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,289Gear list
Like?
Re: Appreciate your reply, but
In reply to MiroM, Jul 24, 2013

MiroM wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

Pikme wrote:

my beef just goes to the fact that dpreview has been talking about the XZ-2 since at least last October when they posted image samples. They have compared other cameras to the XZ-2 ever since and seem to use it as the reference camera, which makes it incredibly frustrating that they have not posted the review. Getting the gold award boosts sales, so it just doesn't make sense to me why they have not posted a review for that camera - either they have found a problem and don't want to report it, or they are not wanting to upset other manufacturers by giving Olympus the gold once again. Or some other reason (not enough sales to make it worth their time), but time pressures, too many cameras, etc. doesn't ring true for me in this particular case. They keep saying how much they like it, but then never finalize the review.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

You aren't obligated to believe me. I'd suggest being a reviewer then, enlightenment shall be yours.

Don't ever forget that DPR offer a free service, none of the content costs viewers here a dime. When things are free I say you can't look a gift horse in the mouth. Keeping things in perspective is key in life sometimes. Its not worth your frustration.
Carl

-- hide signature --

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

Yeah, I've noticed, the DPR rather review the phone camera as soon as it enters the market. Like todays Nokia Lumia 1020.

Has Erin ever done a camera review? They aren't sending their camera reviewers over to review cell phones.

Ach, well, it's their business after all.

Two businesses now.

-- hide signature --

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads