OM-D and radio controlled TT-L flash

Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions
William Russell Contributing Member • Posts: 762
OM-D and radio controlled TT-L flash

Hopefully with this thread I can add to this forum but if this is old news please skip over.

I have been wanting a flash radio trigger system for my 2 OM-Ds ever since I purchased them. I found that the optical trigger system Olympus has is very good but as with all optical flash systems there are limitations. After much research I found a company called Aokatec which makes radio triggers and receivers and now has included Olympus along with Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony. I purchased them from a company in California called Semsons & Co.Inc who imports from this Chinese company called Aokatec. I was very concerned about build quality and function but have found them to be very good. I read on the web too where those with other camera systems have found the same. Now with this system I can control the flash intensity from the Super Control panel on the OM-D and having High speed sync available is another big plus.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words so I made some photos of the final installation on one of my OM-Ds and the Olympus FL-50R flash and thought I would post them here.

helimech Contributing Member • Posts: 598
Re: OM-D and radio controlled TT-L flash

What triggers the sender if it is not mounted to the hotshoe? Or is this some hybrid optical->radio->Optical?

helimech's gear list:helimech's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more
Digital Dick Senior Member • Posts: 2,011

Doesn't the remote flash need to send light pulses back to the master controller for the remote flash to work properly in TTL mode? Is the radio receiver able to send a signal back to the radio transmitter and how would the transmitter feed that info back to the camera?

Dick

Digital Dick's gear list:Digital Dick's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II
OP William Russell Contributing Member • Posts: 762

Yes, This is a hybrid optical/radio trigger system. When the transmitter is mounted on top of the clip on flash it senses an electro-magnetic signal the flash emits with the light from the flash.

From what I understand the transmitter converts the electro magnetic signal from the flash into a radio signal (senses it apparently through the flash and transmitter body) and that is sent to the receiver on the off camera flash which then converts the radio signal back into a optical signal for the flash. Apparently this communication works both directions. I was able to take a photo at a shutter speed of 1000 and even there control the intensity.  Since I didn't design it but have read about it this is what I understand the fundamental operation to be. I used to have radio poppers when I used Canon and it worked the same way but mounting of the hardware was a little different.

I should mention that the transmitter can be mounted on the camera hot shoe but then it would be all manual settings and "no TT-L".

jfinite Veteran Member • Posts: 8,100

So you have TTL off-ccamera? I'd love to see some results.

jfinite's gear list:jfinite's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more

I just did some practice shots in my office and it worked the same as the Olympus factory optical TTL flash set up.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads