Upgrade to 70D vs 7D

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions
dgriffiths
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Upgrade to 70D vs 7D
Jul 21, 2013

Hi,

I currently have a 40D. I have had it for years and love it! I'm looking at upgrading to a 7D or possibly a 70D (if only the 5D Mark III was affordable... sigh). I'm really excited to get better low light performance. I take my camera every where with me... from sea kayaking in California to trekking around Washington DC... to from the summit of Mt. Whitney to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. I mostly take pictures on wildlife/landscapes, sports and like to play around with macro. I am an avid enthusiast. I have been paid to do some event photography but I plan to keep it more as a hobby than a career.

I've read the spec sheets and a whole heap of articles... but I'm curious, which camera would you recommend?

Cheers,

Dan

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SelSol
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrade to 70D vs 7D
In reply to dgriffiths, Jul 21, 2013

Depends, do you want to spend an extra £400 on a camera that has marginally better features but isn't built as well, and that's about the size of it In laymans terms.

It's probably worth noting that despite being a few years old, the 7D is still amongst the top two or three APS-C cameras available, and I doubt you'll be disappointed with it.

SelSol's gear list:SelSol's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TDR1
Contributing MemberPosts: 539
Like?

dgriffiths wrote:

Hi,

I currently have a 40D. I have had it for years and love it! I'm looking at upgrading to a 7D or possibly a 70D (if only the 5D Mark III was affordable... sigh). I'm really excited to get better low light performance. I take my camera every where with me... from sea kayaking in California to trekking around Washington DC... to from the summit of Mt. Whitney to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. I mostly take pictures on wildlife/landscapes, sports and like to play around with macro. I am an avid enthusiast. I have been paid to do some event photography but I plan to keep it more as a hobby than a career.

I've read the spec sheets and a whole heap of articles... but I'm curious, which camera would you recommend?

Cheers,

Dan

That's a very difficult question to answer, especially since there are still a lot of unknowns with the 70D. It's also largely a matter of personal preference - so rather than recommending one, I'll tell you why for me, the 7D is still the better camera.

Based on what I know of the 70D so far, I certainly wouldn't sell my 7D to buy a 70D. I really like the ergonomics and controls on the 7D. The 60D/70D seem a step down from that with a smaller body and no joystick. The flippy outy screen doesn't interest me at all. The 70D also only has one C function, the three on the 7D (C1, C2, C3) I find to be incredibly useful.

The 70D may have the edge when it comes to image quality but I suspect the difference won't be significant although I'm particularly interested in the low light performance, simply as an indicator of what may come in the 7D replacement.

So, if you have the same tastes as me, then the 7D is hard to beat still. If not, the 70D looks to be a great camera. To be honest you would probably find either to be very satisfying purchases.

-- hide signature --
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,224Gear list
Like?

dgriffiths wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,

Dan

Both would do.

Do you want the flippy screen and new sensor at cost of the joystick, one fps,mfa,100% VF, dual function top lcd buttons,deeper buffer and tougher build quality?

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Don Richardson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,454Gear list
Like?

Your types of shooting almost exactly mirrors how and what I shoot. Sounds like you do more traveling than I do for sure though.

I was waiting for the upgrade to the 70D in hopes it would have the older 7D's 19pt AF. Well it does but it doesn't at the same time. The lack of the "spot and single focus pt. extension" in the 70D's 19 pt. AF lead me to upgrade to the 7D and take advantage of the low prices now. Being only an enthouest I would not have been able to justify the cost of the 7D upgrade coming out sometime in the future anyway. I set my camera up to use either the Spot, Single point or, or the other with the Extension and those three choices only. I think it's making a better photographer of me or will when it becomes second nature to me.

I used Doug Browns article and setup on my 7D and love it. His set up of C.Fn I, II, II and IV is the easiest and best method I've ever read about or used. It's easy the change your Pt. selections and hardly miss a beat. Here's the article.

http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/2009/12/setting-up-your-new-canon-7d/

If you're planning on starting doing a lot of video the 70D might be your choice but the 7D's a lot more camera for still shooting of wildlife and sports.

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --
 Don Richardson's gear list:Don Richardson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Epson Artisan 835 +1 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,224Gear list
Like?
In reply to Don Richardson, Jul 21, 2013

Don Richardson wrote:

Your types of shooting almost exactly mirrors how and what I shoot. Sounds like you do more traveling than I do for sure though.

I was waiting for the upgrade to the 70D in hopes it would have the older 7D's 19pt AF. Well it does but it doesn't at the same time. The lack of the "spot and single focus pt. extension" lead me to upgrade to the 7D and take advantage of the low prices now. Would not have been able to justify the cost of the 7D upgrade coming out sometime in the future. I set my camera up to use either the Spot, Single point or, a combination of the two with the Extension and those three choices only. I think it's making a better photographer of me or will when it becomes second nature to me.

I used Doug Browns article and setup on my 7D and love it. His set up of C.Fn I, II, II and IV is the easiest and best method I've ever use. It's easy the change your Pt. selections and never miss a beat. Here's the article.

http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/2009/12/setting-up-your-new-canon-7d/

If you're planning on starting doing a lot of video the 70D might be your choice but the 7D's a lot more camera for still shooting of wildlife and sports.

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Hi Don,

To me it seems Canon want that AF functionality for their future prosumer model. Differantiate 70D and 7DmkII.

Good you pointed this AF thing out since I wasn't aware of it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
rdspear
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,275
Like?

What are the relative prices?  Do you need better/faster Live View focusing?  I'd say they are about equal, with tradeoffs.  7D still has better build quality/sealing, 70D has better LV focusing and potentially better low light performance.

atodzia
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
In reply to Don Richardson, Jul 21, 2013

For wildlife I would prefer the 70D. I sold my 7D when I got my 5D Mark III. The 70D will be useful to be because I can use my 400 5.6L lens with the 2x III tele-extender and it will auto focus using live view. To get sharp pics with that combination with the 7D I had to manual focus using live view and then enlarge it to see if it was in focus, and then readjust focus. By that time lots of times the bird and moved or flown away. With the 7D checking manual focus through the view finder was hit or miss. The further the subject was, the harder it was to check focus through the viewfinder.

atodzia's gear list:atodzia's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L II
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Forum ProPosts: 11,131Gear list
Like?

dgriffiths wrote:

Hi,

I currently have a 40D. I have had it for years and love it!

Then you will easily adapt to the user interface the 7D offers, the 70D is a different beast and has worse usability - for example the thumb wheel is far smaller and in it's middle is a fiddly replacement for the joystick. The 7D has some other things I wouldn't miss for all the money in the world:- 100% viewfinder.

- faster fps

- better configurable autofocus

- deeper buffer (the 70D buffer is only 2/3rd as deep)

- CF card slot which is faster and more reliable than the SD card slot in the 70D.

The 7D also takes the same wired remote as the 40D - a small issue but if you intend on keeping your 40D as backup one less item to worry about.

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
wihakowi
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
In reply to Limburger, Jul 22, 2013

Limburger wrote:

Do you want ...... mfa .........

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

My understanding is that the 70D has MFA - no?

wihakowi's gear list:wihakowi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,678Gear list
Like?
In reply to wihakowi, Jul 22, 2013

wihakowi wrote:

Limburger wrote:

Do you want ...... mfa .........

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

My understanding is that the 70D has MFA - no?

Yes, it does.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
wihakowi
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
In reply to atodzia, Jul 22, 2013

atodzia wrote:

For wildlife I would prefer the 70D ...... because I can use my 400 5.6L lens with the 2x III tele-extender and it will auto focus using live view.

The wildlife I shoot doesn't wait for Live View to focus! Maybe the 70D LV is a game-changer in re: to AF speed but I still can't see myself holding the camera out at arms length looking at an EVF. A crop body (or even 5d series) that AF's down to f/8 or f/11 using the OVF ... now that's a game-changer!

wihakowi's gear list:wihakowi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,257Gear list
Like?
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Jul 22, 2013

The easiest Q. on this forum.  7D is an old overweight unit from yesteryear, defended mainly by ppl who bought it some time ago, before the new 70 was announced.

70D simply has too many advantages...search the specs...all of them...to ignore.  Easy choice.  Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 2/3 of the price of the new 70 for an old 7. 

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 70D
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,804Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonrobertp, Jul 22, 2013

jonrobertp wrote:

The easiest Q. on this forum. 7D is an old overweight unit from yesteryear, defended mainly by ppl who bought it some time ago, before the new 70 was announced.

70D simply has too many advantages...search the specs...all of them...to ignore. Easy choice. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 2/3 of the price of the new 70 for an old 7.

+1. You should take with a grain of salt comments from people who love their solid but getting old-in-the-tooth 7D.  While we haven't fully seen the 70D, it appears to have better IQ and many new, modern features. The swivel- screen alone is huge advantage, and the LV AF should be incredible for video and for many still- shooting situations. 7D users can't even imagine the practical and creative uses of the combination of swivel screen, LV, touch screen and new AF system.  There is no contest - 70D is a superior camera. The main question is - what will the 7DII be like, and can you wait for it, or afford it.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
hires
Regular MemberPosts: 415
Like?
In reply to wihakowi, Jul 22, 2013

I was thinking the same thing that hand holding a 400 5.6L and trying to LV focus at arms length wouldn't work too well.  I just held up my 400 5.6L on a 550D with an el cheapo Vfinder magnetic lcd hood and LV focused on a picture across the room.  If the LV focus is a good as they say and just maybe with a lcd hood of some kind so you can hold the camera up to your eye....just maybe?

elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,973
Like?
In reply to skanter, Jul 22, 2013

skanter wrote:

+1. You should take with a grain of salt comments from people who love their solid but getting old-in-the-tooth 7D. While we haven't fully seen the 70D,

Exactly. If you need one today or next week, the 7D is the only choice.

When is the 70d coming? I have heard (from sources that claim to be reliable but are far more wrong than right) by the end of July, sometimes in August and early September. In plain English nobody (that can speak with "real authority") knows.

I am a very strong fan of the 7d, but if I was buying and the 70d was available, I'd go to my local dealer. They have a deal: rent a camera or lens for 2 days and the 2 days rental is free if I buy the camera and/or the lens.

People mention the joystick vs the 8 way dial, we don't know since the camera is not available. The joystick is not great for verticals especially with battery grip. The quality of the sensor, processor and/or lenses are irrelevant if the handling is "wrong" and you are missing the photos because of the ergonomics do not fit you.

BTW, does anybody knows if the 70d buttons can be reconfigured/customized like for the 7D?

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.sritch.com
Street Photography: The Dogs of Vancouver, BC

skanter
Like?
In reply to elfroggio, Jul 22, 2013

elfroggio wrote:

skanter wrote:

+1. You should take with a grain of salt comments from people who love their solid but getting old-in-the-tooth 7D. While we haven't fully seen the 70D,

Exactly. If you need one today or next week, the 7D is the only choice.

If the OP needed a camera today or next week, knowing the 70D is not yet available, he wouldn't have posted asking about the comparison, would he?

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
skanter
Like?
In reply to hires, Jul 22, 2013

hires wrote:

I was thinking the same thing that hand holding a 400 5.6L and trying to LV focus at arms length wouldn't work too well. I just held up my 400 5.6L on a 550D with an el cheapo Vfinder magnetic lcd hood and LV focused on a picture across the room. If the LV focus is a good as they say and just maybe with a lcd hood of some kind so you can hold the camera up to your eye....just maybe?

LV is excellent when used on tripods, a better choice than hand holding with a heavy lens anyway.

With LV and swivel screen, one can adjust tripod height to what is appropriate for the shot, be it one foot or eight feet - and still frame and focus the shot.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

hires
Regular MemberPosts: 415
Like?
In reply to skanter, Jul 22, 2013

Tripods are great when you have the time to set one up. A lot of the time with wild life you have to shoot pretty quickly. Too bad the touch screen won't work with a lcd viiefinder.  BH photo has a lot of them and I'm sure they'll get tested on the 70d for live view shooting as a surrogate OVF so you can steady the camera against your eye.

Karl Gnter Wnsch
Forum ProPosts: 11,131Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonrobertp, Jul 22, 2013

jonrobertp wrote:

The easiest Q. on this forum. 7D is an old overweight unit from yesteryear, defended mainly by ppl who bought it some time ago, before the new 70 was announced.

Strangely enough I bought a second 7D after the 70D was announced - as the 70D can't even get close to the performance of the 7D. So the old 7D outperforms the 70D quite comprehensively, has the much better viewfinder and if the 70D is anything like the 60D in user interface (and by the look of things they made the 70D thumb wheel even more fiddly than it was before) then you couldn't pay me enough to use one...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads