First Studio Shoot (Looking for Honest C&C so feel free to tear me apart on this one)

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions
Albino_BlacMan
Contributing MemberPosts: 932
Like?
First Studio Shoot (Looking for Honest C&C so feel free to tear me apart on this one)
Jul 21, 2013

Just finished my first studio shoot (not professional or anything, just playing my recently acquired AB800's).

Anyways I'm looking for some honest critique on this one so feel free to be harsh. I'm not going to learn anything from a bunch of "nice picture"

comments.

Kweide
Senior MemberPosts: 1,703Gear list
Like?
Re: First Studio Shoot (Looking for Honest C&C so feel free to tear me apart on this one)
In reply to Albino_BlacMan, Jul 21, 2013

Not too bad :). The light is even and a bit flat for my taste, nearly no shadows. I would like to see more contrast, a bit more punch. The pose are well chosen and she did a good job. The crop is a bit tight but thats a matter of taste as the white border i do not like due to much prominent…

But the pictures are well done. Give us more ...

-- hide signature --

More of my work can be see her: ( some NSFW )
http://www.klaweide.de/

Kweide's gear list:Kweide's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157
Like?
Re: First Studio Shoot (Looking for Honest C&C so feel free to tear me apart on this one)

I like #3 and agree with Kweide that they all look too evenly lit (or flat). I also think the model looks too rigid and definately miss seeing the hands. Hands often generate expression when the face is neutral. Try upping the shutter to like 1/1250 and get her to move around.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

dka91
Contributing MemberPosts: 689Gear list
Like?

These look pretty decent, alot better than my first attempts! Im not experienced at all in studio photography so I probably can't offer much except Im reading through Light, Science and Magic (which you've probably heard a million times) and if you've not come across it, it's a brilliant book to read to give you the basics on lighting!

dka91's gear list:dka91's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Fargonz
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
In reply to dka91, Jul 23, 2013

It would probably be handy to tell us how you lit it to get feed back. However I'm in the flat light is your friend camp when it comes to females & fashion. Use makeup to add definition. I think it's pretty safe to keep to within a 1stop diff between key & fill. If the model has good shin try some rembranty stuff.

Fargonz's gear list:Fargonz's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +13 more
davidrestes
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?
In reply to Albino_BlacMan, Jul 23, 2013

Studio work can be so much fun. I'd like to address 1, 2 and 5. In these you can see catch-lights in her eyes. There are a couple of things wrong (in my opinion, you're mileage may vary). I hate to see two or more catch-lights, always looks unnatural to me. We only have one sun so only one source of light, so that's what looks natural. and the big softbox that it looks like you were using to the models right (photographer left) is just creating way too large a catch-light, making the pupils wash out and look strange. So something to work on. You say its your first, so I'm sure you'll be better in no time.

To be fair, since I criticized your lighting, I'm link to a photo from my first studio shoot. I was lucky to have a very old hand at studio setups to help me. I'd never have gotten this with out help.

David

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9858870547/photos/2055783/img_2988-001

This setup had at least main light, a background light and a reflector. (been a while so I don't recall the setup exactly)

For some unknown reason every time I tried to insert an image from the gallery I got an error message.

davidrestes's gear list:davidrestes's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
ktownbill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968
Like?
In reply to Albino_BlacMan, Jul 24, 2013

+1 to everything said so far.

In addition it looks like you passed a softening brush over her eyes and eye brows and lips. These should remain sharp like her hair is.

-- hide signature --

Bill

Albino_BlacMan
Contributing MemberPosts: 932
Like?
Group reply and how I lit it
In reply to ktownbill, Jul 24, 2013

Thanks everyone for their feedback so far!

I'll start with how I lit everything. All of them except the last were lit with one giant (6ft) softbox to the camera left as a main and one smaller softbox to the right as a fill. I tried to set it up so that there would be a stop difference between the two lights but she was quite close to a large white wall (camera right) so I think the reflection off that combined with the fill flattened the lighting out. I'll definitely work on getting a little more contrast in the lighting though (especially because I don't have a MUA).

The last one was an attempt at clamshell so one light above the model and one below with the one above set one stop stronger than the one below (still didn't get much contrast though).

Kweide - I'll definitely work on not having the light so flat. That's my standard border so I just kept it to save time. If I print any I'll definitely put more thought into the border. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Wazu - It was my first time shooting and her first time modelling so any advice on the modelling is great! I've since read it should be like a dance for the model so I'll work on keeping her moving. I was having a hard time getting the hands in the shot without getting parts of the softbox in it since my radio triggers aren't in yet so I had to use the optical slave and hence had to be pretty far back. I'll keep in mind that the hands are important too though. Thanks!

DKA91 – I'm working on it right now. Great book! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Fargonz – see description for my lighting setups. I'll try spending more time metering to get the contrast I want. Thanks for the comment!

Davidrestes – (see first paragraph for description of how I lit it). If I want to get rid of the large catchlight would I just move it further behind the model (from say 45 degree to closer to 70 or 80 degrees?) or what would you recommend there? Thanks for commenting, I'll make sure to keep the number of catchlights in mind from now on!

Ktownbill – I'll make sure to be careful with how I soften features in PP and keep the eyelashes and eyebrows sharp. Thanks for commenting!

RichyjV
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
Re: Group reply and how I lit it
In reply to Albino_BlacMan, Jul 25, 2013

I like the lying down ones. In general the face skin looks just a little textureless. Against a light background, contrast becomes very important in giving shape to features and stopping the image looking flat. I also liked shooting on black backgrounds when I started out to give me a stronger feel of the shape of the light over bone structure, before bringing it back to light backgrounds.. in fairness white background does nothing for me at all unless its a clothes shoot or a close up beauty shot.. I'm not really sure what this shot is. Go strongly for something: if its the clothes/story/style then really show it. If its beauty then get in closer on some shots and make her eyes/lips/whatever look fantastic.

But keep trying and experimenting, if you have some models who are happy to work with you then nothing is better than getting those first shoots under your belt in lower pressure environments

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich

davidrestes
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?
Re: Group reply and how I lit it
In reply to Albino_BlacMan, Jul 25, 2013

Davidrestes – (see first paragraph for description of how I lit it). If I want to get rid of the large catchlight would I just move it further behind the model (from say 45 degree to closer to 70 or 80 degrees?) or what would you recommend there? Thanks for commenting, I'll make sure to keep the number of catchlights in mind from now on!

You could try that, but just moving the model might be easier. Same changes in angles can be made with her movements.  Great thing about digital, can check immediately and make changes.  Really good first attempt.

davidrestes's gear list:davidrestes's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
andrewgallucci
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
In reply to Kweide, Jul 28, 2013

I agree with Kweide. The shadowless style can work so maybe you can explore it but here it seems a little flat. The best one IMO is the first top down with her arms in.

Not bad at all for a first shoot! My first was way worse lol. The only thing REALLY bugging me is the strand of hair on the last one.  Be careful on that sort of thing, be meticulous.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads