Tip to speed up writing times for the a580 (maybe for a55 and other models too)

Started Jul 20, 2013 | Discussions
Chifuro
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Tip to speed up writing times for the a580 (maybe for a55 and other models too)
Jul 20, 2013

Format your memory card as exfat.

Writing times with my "extremory SDHC CARD 16 GB Class 10 HYPERPERFORMANCE" after firing a raw-burst until buffer full:

With fat32: ~50sec

With exfat format in the cardreader: ~24sec

Hope it helps someone and does not only work for my specific memory card.

Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rab G
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
Re: Tip to speed up writing times for the a580 (maybe for a55 and other models too)
In reply to Chifuro, Jul 20, 2013

Chifuro wrote:

Writing times with my "extremory SDHC CARD 16 GB Class 10 HYPERPERFORMANCE" after firing a raw-burst until buffer full:

That's in a cardreader can the camera read that format?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,215Gear list
Like?
Re: Tip to speed up writing times for the a580 (maybe for a55 and other models too)
In reply to Rab G, Jul 21, 2013

Rab G wrote:

Good question. According to some web research I did the answer may be NO!.

http://digitalunion.osu.edu/2012/08/07/exfat-formatting-your-flash-drive-for-both-pc-and-mac/

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/19/mac-101-format-choices-for-usb-flash-drives/

QUOTE "Disadvantages: As a relatively newer file system format, exFAT isn’t supported in older versions of Mac OS X (anything prior to 10.6.5) or anything older than Windows XP SP2. If you won’t be dealing with older Macs or PCs, this may not be a problem. Of greater issue is that most consumer electronics (cameras, camcorders, video game systems) don’t support exFAT, either. If you need to transfer files between your Mac and one of these non-PC devices, you’re almost certainly going to have to format your flash drive in FAT32 instead (via TUAW)."

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,618
Like?
In reply to Rab G, Jul 21, 2013

Rab G wrote:

Chifuro wrote:

Since the OP said 'after firing a raw-burst until buffer is full' I assume that his camera wrote the files. And once they're transferred off the card (to a newish computer that can read them) there should never be any concern about compatibility.

Sam_Oslo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,527Gear list
Like?
In reply to tbcass, Jul 21, 2013

exFAT works with A77 too. I didn't measure the speed, not in a serius way anyways, but exFAT is much faster.

On A77, you can format the SD-card in your computer, and when you insert the card, A77 is smart enough to give a warning and recreate the Image Database (the folder structure) without reformatting it.

tbcass wrote:

Rab G wrote:

Good question. According to some web research I did the answer may be NO!.

http://digitalunion.osu.edu/2012/08/07/exfat-formatting-your-flash-drive-for-both-pc-and-mac/

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/19/mac-101-format-choices-for-usb-flash-drives/

QUOTE "Disadvantages: As a relatively newer file system format, exFAT isn’t supported in older versions of Mac OS X (anything prior to 10.6.5) or anything older than Windows XP SP2.

Windows XP belongs to museum. The important part is that Windows 8, 7 and even Vista support exFAT.

Sam_Oslo's gear list:Sam_Oslo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
In reply to sybersitizen, Jul 21, 2013

I reformatted my Transcend class 10 - 16 gig card to exfat and put it into my a55. It built a new index and then I shot off a burst of 20 in 2 seconds. It took 24 seconds for the buffer to clear. Then I reformatted it back to fat32 and did the same test and got exactly the same results.

-- hide signature --

My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

sybersitizen
Like?
In reply to seilerbird666, Jul 21, 2013

seilerbird666 wrote:

I reformatted my Transcend class 10 - 16 gig card to exfat and put it into my a55. It built a new index and then I shot off a burst of 20 in 2 seconds. It took 24 seconds for the buffer to clear. Then I reformatted it back to fat32 and did the same test and got exactly the same results.

I shoot JPGs with the A55 using Class 4 cards and reduced resolution: 8.4mp. I can get about 35 of those at 10fps before the buffer chokes. The time required to clear the buffer after that varies between about 10 and 20 seconds depending on the complexity of the images, but exFAT does appear to do it faster. The OP was testing RAW files, which is a different scenario.

Atgard
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chifuro, Jul 21, 2013

Interesting … I assume the Sony cameras (I have an A37) can read the exFAT format, since the articles you linked say that most cameras do not.

But it seems different people have had different results, with some reporting great write speed gains and others finding no difference...

Atgard's gear list:Atgard's gear list
Sony SLT-A37
sybersitizen
Like?
In reply to Atgard, Jul 21, 2013

Actually, with more controlled testing now, I'm not seeing any exFAT speed advantage using either a 2GB Class 4 SD card or an 8GB Class 10 SDHC card. The speed claim I see from Microsoft is that exFAT 'speeds up file saves of SDXC cards to achieve their full 300MBps speed using modern storage allocation techniques.'

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/intellectualproperty/IPLicensing/Programs/exFATFileSystem.aspx

seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
In reply to sybersitizen, Jul 23, 2013

sybersitizen wrote:

seilerbird666 wrote:

I shoot JPGs with the A55 using Class 4 cards and reduced resolution: 8.4mp. I can get about 35 of those at 10fps before the buffer chokes. The time required to clear the buffer after that varies between about 10 and 20 seconds depending on the complexity of the images, but exFAT does appear to do it faster. The OP was testing RAW files, which is a different scenario.

I should have mentioned that I was shooting RAW also.

-- hide signature --

My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

Chifuro
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
In reply to seilerbird666, Jul 24, 2013

Hi guys,

i just found out that i have must made a mistake on some point.

I formated the card in camera (forgot that by this i would lose exfat fomation) and reformated it in the card reader with exfat 32kb. I was not sure if that was the Cluster size i had chosen before so i tested it - with the same slow result i had with fat32. I now checked the following sizes (the lower ones twice)

(all exfat format under Win8 64)

and everywhere the same results of ~50sec if not slower.

I really can't imagine what went wrong in the first place , but i know i checked it twice with a stopwatch. Maybe for some reasons the pictures i took for the first test where better compressable and had smaller sizes(i tested out of focus,iso 100, a bit smaller but noch much) ? Maybe there are faster and slower parts on the memorycard?

Sorry so much for false information (it looks like it) and for raising hopes of faster writing speeds.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads