RX100 vs RX100M2 RAW samples from ISO100 to 6400

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions
Roland Schulz
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
RX100 vs RX100M2 RAW samples from ISO100 to 6400
Jul 19, 2013

Since I got my RX100M2 today I did some tests. If you like to compare yourself you can download the RAW files below.

Here´s a sample of what you get, both ISO400 100% crops, f6.3 at ceiling lightning. Left is RX100, right is RX100M2.

Please don´t ask me to do close up portraits of Ernie, don´t ask me for how much the Accuphase will be sold, it won´t any soon. The D4 is only for holding the 85 1.4G for showing how both cameras handle the reflections in the front lens .
Please don´t ask me for my conclusion, I don´t really have them yet. Have your own findings...

Regards,
Roland.

http://www.rhs-net.com/storage/RX100vsRX100M2_ISO100-ISO800.zip   (144MB)

http://www.rhs-net.com/storage/RX100vsRX100M2_ISO1600-ISO6400.zip   (114MB)

Roland Schulz's gear list:Roland Schulz's gear list
Sony RX100 II
Nikon D4 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 vs RX100M2 RAW samples from ISO100 to 6400
In reply to Roland Schulz, Jul 19, 2013

Thanks for posting this. I'm actually afraid to even look. LOL!

Maybe later.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,044Gear list
Like?

can I have ernie?

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
palermo22
Regular MemberPosts: 354
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, Jul 19, 2013

I am definitely not an experiences photographer with  untrained eye; however, the photo on the left is the one that appears brighter and sharper. Are you sure the M2 is the one on the right?

Arn
Arn
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to palermo22, Jul 19, 2013

palermo22 wrote:

I am definitely not an experiences photographer with untrained eye; however, the photo on the left is the one that appears brighter and sharper. Are you sure the M2 is the one on the right?

What do you mean "is he sure"? It's been noted before, that mkII RAW performance doesn't appear to be better than mkI.

Arn's gear list:Arn's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
Mattoid
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?

On first inspection the left shot looks better.  I actually misread your post so thought this was the MK2, so it seemed to make sense. I thought that maybe the same ISO gave a greater sensitivity on the MK2 meaning it was brighter, but this is obviously not the case.

Since the MK2 is supposed to have a better sensor I will try to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps the right image is showing a greater dynamic range, meaning things of the same brightness are recorded slightly darker leaving room for something even brighter which would otherwise be blown out on the left image.  So to get the same as the more vibrant image on the left you would have to expose a little more, which would then reveal more shadow detail.

If this test could be done with a dynamic range chart it may reveal whether this is the case at all.

Arn
Arn
Like?
very revealing when put into Lightroom 5

Roland Schulz wrote:

Since I got my RX100M2 today I did some tests. If you like to compare yourself you can download the RAW files below.

Here´s a sample of what you get, both ISO400 100% crops, f6.3 at ceiling lightning. Left is RX100, right is RX100M2.

Please don´t ask me to do close up portraits of Ernie, don´t ask me for how much the Accuphase will be sold, it won´t any soon. The D4 is only for holding the 85 1.4G for showing how both cameras handle the reflections in the front lens .
Please don´t ask me for my conclusion, I don´t really have them yet. Have your own findings...

Regards,
Roland.

http://www.rhs-net.com/storage/RX100vsRX100M2_ISO100-ISO800.zip (144MB)

http://www.rhs-net.com/storage/RX100vsRX100M2_ISO1600-ISO6400.zip (114MB)

Thanks for these.

Putting the ISO1600-6400 shots into Lightroom 5, I see that (like the Imaging-resource samples) the mkI shots appear to have a bit more detail and are a bit brighter at the same exposure as the mkII shots. The mkII shots are less exposed (at ISO 1600-3200 by about a 1/3 stop and at ISO 6400 almost 1/2 stop I think), have less noise in the shadow areas, but also have a bit less detail - kinda looks like mkI shots with boosted noise reduction. If you equalize the difference in exposure, the apparent difference in shadow area noise will be be reduced. I assume that the lighting is identical for the shots? This would make the mkII sensor a bit less sensitive than the mkI sensor, which is interesting considering the Sony claims about increased sensitivity!

Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
Roland Schulz
Like?
Re: very revealing when put into Lightroom 5
In reply to Arn, Jul 19, 2013

...This would make the mkII sensor a bit less sensitive than the mkI sensor, which is interesting considering the Sony claims about increased sensitivity!

I also was surprised that the "light meter" in the camera showed me "-0.3" EV when shooting the M2 in the very same conditions with the same settings I used with the M1 before.

Sony RX100 II
Sgt93
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: very revealing when put into Lightroom 5

My guess is there will be a firmware update to make things 'better' for the M2.

-- hide signature --

Steve- Central Illinois
Nikon D3s | Nikon 70-200 VR II | Nikon 85 1.4D | Nikon 24 1.4G | Crumpler 8MDH

KnightFall
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
in your dreams :(
In reply to Sgt93, Jul 19, 2013

Sgt93 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve- Central Illinois

Sony never gave us that. I've waited an update for rx100, and RX1 not happened, and not gonna happen I am sure.

Roland Schulz
Like?
Wait for LR5 and ACR updates...

...since I found that there seems to be a problem with Adobe´s camera profiles. The profiles we use seem to be for the RX100 that is somewhat different from color response to the M2.
I tried to make a profile using Color Checker Passport, but the profile doesn´t appear after generation, only from the M1.
By the way I like the genuine Adobe profiles more than the custom made ones using CCP, so may be we shouldn´t judge the camera for it´s color response yet.
Roland.

Sony RX100 II
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157Gear list
Like?
Re: Wait for LR5 and ACR updates...

Roland Schulz wrote:

...since I found that there seems to be a problem with Adobe´s camera profiles. The profiles we use seem to be for the RX100 that is somewhat different from color response to the M2.
I tried to make a profile using Color Checker Passport, but the profile doesn´t appear after generation, only from the M1.
By the way I like the genuine Adobe profiles more than the custom made ones using CCP, so may be we shouldn´t judge the camera for it´s color response yet.
Roland.

Interesting point.

I just looked at your photo comparison and it worried me a lot, but I will wait as you say.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
newellj
Contributing MemberPosts: 867Gear list
Like?
Re: in your dreams :(
In reply to KnightFall, Jul 19, 2013

KnightFall wrote:

Sgt93 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve- Central Illinois

Sony never gave us that. I've waited an update for rx100, and RX1 not happened, and not gonna happen I am sure.

Not likely, nor with Oly.  Panasonic is the only maker that really does significant firmware upgrades.  But I returned the LX7 and kept the RX100.

newellj's gear list:newellj's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Roland Schulz
Like?
forgot the update for the Nex 5 etc.??
In reply to newellj, Jul 19, 2013

newellj wrote:

KnightFall wrote:

Sgt93 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve- Central Illinois

Not likely, nor with Oly. Panasonic is the only maker that really does significant firmware upgrades. But I returned the LX7 and kept the RX100.

With the NEX5´s update Sony gave us great new features like peaking etc.. But I still wish they would bring a better bracketing at least...

Sony RX100 II
Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,212Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roland Schulz, Jul 20, 2013

Thanks for sharing. IMO the choice between RX100 and RX100II is not in IQ but rather in features and price.

-- hide signature --
Arn
Arn
Like?
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 20, 2013

Donald Chin wrote:

Thanks for sharing. IMO the choice between RX100 and RX100II is not in IQ but rather in features and price.

It's certainly about features and price. But I think that it is also about image quality. After all, Sony claimed improved sensor and image quality with the new sensor, not worse...

Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,212Gear list
Like?
In reply to Arn, Jul 20, 2013

Arn wrote:

Donald Chin wrote:

It's certainly about features and price. But I think that it is also about image quality. After all, Sony claimed improved sensor and image quality with the new sensor, not worse...

I'm a native raw shooter, from what I've seen so far the IQ of the two is insignificant, you can find similar result from DxOMark too.

pics: http://www.pbase.com/arn
http://500px.com/arnrna

magicomirko
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to Donald Chin, Jul 20, 2013

I'm thinking to buy the RX100...the picture on the left is better !!!

eivissa1
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
Matter of sharpening
In reply to Roland Schulz, Jul 20, 2013

It has been said before: il looks as if the new Sony produces softer pictures, but the details are still there.

Imaging Resource said that the first Sony did more aggressive sharpening....

Arn
Arn
Like?
Re: Matter of sharpening
In reply to eivissa1, Jul 20, 2013

eivissa1 wrote:

It has been said before: il looks as if the new Sony produces softer pictures, but the details are still there.

Imaging Resource said that the first Sony did more aggressive sharpening....

From what I tried, I actually couldn't produce the details that are in the mkI image by increasing sharpening in the mkII image. I don't think it's a matter of sharpening (and Imaging-resource was talking about JPGs). Anyway, the difference is quite small, but the fact that the mkII doesn't seem to improve RAW image quality. And there is still the fact that mkI's sensor seems to be 1/3 to 1/2 a stop more sensitive.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads