HX400 70X High Zoom

Started Jul 18, 2013 | Discussions
Dodge_Rock
Senior MemberPosts: 1,106
Like?
HX400 70X High Zoom
Jul 18, 2013

I see Panny has created a 60X beast.  Will Sony rise to the challenge?  I think so.

Ali
Ali
Senior MemberPosts: 1,179Gear list
Like?
Re: HX400 70X High Zoom
In reply to Dodge_Rock, Jul 18, 2013

It does seem like we have a zoom war going on... 60x is pretty amazing, especially at f2.8-5.9, but I like my non-DSLRs pocketable... So for now the HX50V is it for me!

Ali

Ali's gear list:Ali's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,064Gear list
Like?

Dodge_Rock wrote:

I see Panny has created a 60X beast. Will Sony rise to the challenge? I think so.

No doubt. Looking forward to it.

I also hope Sony do something different again and release a 30x 1/1.7" or a 15x 1" sensor zoom.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 3,230Gear list
Like?

Wow I hope so!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,986Gear list
Like?
we first had the MP race, now the

zoom race, hopefully Sony decides to offer RAW on whatever new SZ they bring to market and less MP's.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
Dodge_Rock
Like?
In reply to MarioV, Jul 18, 2013

MarioV wrote:

I also hope Sony do something different again and release a 30x 1/1.7" or a 15x 1" sensor zoom.

Great idea - I'm hoping for a new size sensor, maybe 3/4" and 25X.

Dodge_Rock
Like?
Re: we first had the MP race, now the
In reply to Marti58, Jul 18, 2013

Marti58 wrote:

zoom race, hopefully Sony decides to offer RAW on whatever new SZ they bring to market and less MP's.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Definitely with RAW.  That's the one thing they could program in easily I think.

MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,064Gear list
Like?

Dodge_Rock wrote:

MarioV wrote:

I also hope Sony do something different again and release a 30x 1/1.7" or a 15x 1" sensor zoom.

Great idea - I'm hoping for a new size sensor, maybe 3/4" and 25X.

That could possibly be the sweet spot.  Throw in all the trimmings and you just may have the perfect camera.  No doubt more expensive than the usual bridge, but worth it.

Fuji's X-S1 had a good quality 2/3" sensor, orbs aside, but it was a larger camera.

Something the size of the HX, and with Sony's expertise to fit a large sensor in a small form, ala RX100, 2/3 or 3/4" sounds doable with a 20-ish zoom.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Moef
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?

Zoom war it is. And it's like, as long as you have a huge zoom + tons of unimportant features like WiFI, 3D, GPS, Panorama photos... then everything is fine, the consumer is happy happy happy. At least, I think Sony has been following this trend for a long time. Features, features features... instead of improving the basic hardware of the camera. And they make IQ worse with more mpixels on a little sensor. Their cameras are getting more expensive, and the IQ is getting worse. But for sure, you'll get a truck load of strange "fun" features.

What I want is:

Big sensor, dust improved lens, less zoom (for example 10x-12x), better microphones (sound), longer battery life, very good 1080p video + the active steady stabilizer from the HX50v

The high zoom (not crazy zoom) is great to have. If just the RX100 had a little more optical zoom, like 10 times, I would consider buy it. I like the HX50V, but often when I see the IQ, I'm turning away from it. I'm saying to myself, do I really wants to shoot photos with that much noise and grain. It's good, that you can post processed the photos, getting more out of them. But I'm not crazy about the idea, that an expensive camera takes more or less bad photos, that should be PP in software. And now that smartphones are gaining much / overtake consumer camera IQ, like the HX50, I'm even more in doubt.

-- hide signature --

Moef

Ali
Ali
Senior MemberPosts: 1,179Gear list
Like?
In reply to Moef, Jul 18, 2013

What I want is:

Big sensor, dust improved lens, less zoom (for example 10x-12x), better microphones (sound), longer battery life, very good 1080p video + the active steady stabilizer from the HX50v

Definitely agreed with the bigger sensor --- that always helps.  Of course bigger the sensor harder it is to make a compact zoom for it.

I think once you've gone 20x-30x, it's hard to go back.  At least in my case --- I like to carry my DSLR, and add on the HX50V for the reach which is nearly impossible with the DSLR.

So, personally, I'd rather keep the zoom, and trade away some megapixels to improve image quality.

Ali

Ali's gear list:Ali's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon EOS 5D Mark III
notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?

Panasonic got 60x by going wider (20mm wide), not longer than Sony.

It would be nice if Sony also took note of RAW and the conversion lens options...

Phil Edwards
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
In reply to notime, 7 months ago

I would add:-

Any Camera manufacturer should produce a "bridge" camera with the following criteria (in order of importance) in mind.

1. To produce the best image quality possible.

2. To fit the largest sensor possible.

3. To provide the greatest magnification possible.

4. To provide sufficient manual and auto ajustments. (provide a fully manual focus).

5. To give the camera a body wich is comfortable to hold - with it's controls intelligently positioned.

6. To price the above camera competitively.

I believe camera manufacturers will only get it right when they are brave enough (or sensible enough) to ask their (often loyal) buyers, what THEY would like to see in a bridge camera. Just from reading photographer's posts on various camera review sites like this one, even I (as a most basic amateur photographer) can see that you have all given what is needed to produce the "perfect" camera!

I have 4 Sony bridge cameras (H1, H5, HX1 and HX200v), a Panasonic FZ35, and a very ancient Nikon 990, and although each Sony camera is an improvement on the previous model, each upgrade has some excellent additional features, some silly superfluous features, and unfortunately some poorly designed and ill thought out features. To me (and I can only comment on my limited line up of Sony Cameras) it seems manufaturers produce a very good 1st model in a range, then go on to make some genuine improvements on the next model (are they listening to users?), but at the same time, leave out what was a genuinely good feature on the previous model, and add some feature(s) which is either not needed, or is a real backward step in design or functionalty. All this is done whilst little no improvements are made to the actual quality of the images the new model produces!

Again I can only comment on Sony cameras when I ask "do manufacturers do this on purpose? - to induce the public to eagerly await the next model of a range, in the hope that it will not only correct the obvious bad features of the latest model, and fit some genuinely useful features which the latest model didn't have? What a disappointment we all have when we excitedly spend a few hundred pounds on a new model of a camera range we have grown to love, only to find that our new camera is, and more importantly isn't much of an improvement on the last model! This leads us to hang on to old cameras, and even revert back to using them on some occsions where we feel our latest buy will not produce the best images!

This is a crazy situation, as we can only use one camera at a time!! We should be able to buy the latest model of any camera confident in the knowledge that it WILL be better than the last model. We should be able to sell our previous camera, confident that whoever buys it will obtain the smae pleasure we gained for using it - and not sell it on because we were quite bitterly disappointed in some aspect (usually the image quality) of the camera. And so it goes on - and on - and on, with us spending thousands of pounds on each new model, and in some cases even buying a camera from an entirely different manufacturer - because we've read that their latest bridge camera has a special feature guaranteed to produce excellent quality images - only to find that this camera also has something which definately is not right with it!

I think the bottom line is that manufacturers know what they are doing, and do do what they do, deliberately! I think their engineers are quite capable of producing the perfect camera. But, if they did this, they wouldn't sell any more cameras - ever (well, for a very long time anyway). I can say this because of the comments one reads when a new model of a particular range comes out. Comments along the lines of "well, if you have the previous model (say Sony HX100v) then it's not really worth spending a few hundred pounds upgrading to the next (Sony HX200v). We then just wait for a few months (in frustration) until the new model has come down in price (and is starting to appear on E-bay or Amazon) and then buy it, only to find (as I've mentioned above) that the latest model wasn't worth upgrading to after all (I found this when I upgraded from a Sony HX1 to the Sony HX200v) (but I wisely kept my HX1 and still use this for 99% of the time - mainly because it has a threaded lens barrel which takes the Raynox 2.2x lens I bought). Now I'm left with the dilema of which camera to sell! The Sonly HX200v does have some very nice features, and is (design wise) a truly lovely camera to hold and use,and is much faster in every aspect than the HX1. However, the one (and most important) thing it doesn't do, is produce better images than my HX1. Yes I know the HX1's images tend to be a bit on the "noisy" side, but I've found that I can rely on my HX1 to produce excellent sharp (9mp) images straight out of the camera. (Only sometimes do I need to process out the noise (with "Neatimage"), whereas I am having to constantly trying out different settings with the HX200v and rarely obtain a good image from it (and I bought one with the latest 1.1 firmware). Also, I find I'm having to reduce the megapixels to 5mp to obtain passable images (and this is only after processing!). I could go on.

So there we have it. I don't know it manufacturers will ever willingly produce a truly all round great camera - fitted with ALL good and genuinely useful features, AND one wich produces excellent images.

We'll just have to keep hoping!

Phil Edwards.

North Wales.

Phil Edwards's gear list:Phil Edwards's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
cchen2
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
In reply to Phil Edwards, 7 months ago

You might consider a used rx10. It doesn't have as much range but image quality is much better than the average bridge camera.

-- hide signature --

Just one life, twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last

cchen2's gear list:cchen2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Phil Edwards
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
In reply to cchen2, 7 months ago

Dear cchen,

Many thanks for your advice - I will certainly try my Sony HX200v at 10x magnification. What would be the best fprmat - 4:3, 16:9 or 16:2?

Kind regards,

Phil Edwards's gear list:Phil Edwards's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
Omer Demirbilek
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?

I just bought Panasonic FZ200 as an addition to my Samsung EX-1, Sony R1 and Sony A850 with Samyang 14/2.8, CZ16-35/2.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8, Minolta 50/1.7,Tamron70-200/2.7,Tamron90/2.5 and Canon500D close up set as an extreme long lens.   I love it..

Omer Demirbilek's gear list:Omer Demirbilek's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
cchen2
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?

hmmm...  I dunno, it depends on what you are shooting!  I tend to keep most of my pictures in 4:3 because it prints better for me, more naturally, but I use them all.  The FZ200 is a great camera for the price, but RX10 is better- which it better be at 2.5x the price!

-- hide signature --

Just one life, twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last

cchen2's gear list:cchen2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads