FZ70 Announced. Is This Just Another Frankencamera?

Started Jul 18, 2013 | Discussions
bimbobo
Regular MemberPosts: 200
Like?
Re: FZ70 Announced. Is This Just Another Frankencamera?
In reply to John McCormack, Jul 19, 2013

I really do not care that much of 60X, I would say 30-40 would me more than enough, but I would  like instead less noise at 1600 ISO level.

That is the key of success for me.

-- hide signature --

Ignorant photograph beginner

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dogglet
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?
Re: Good enough for birding?
In reply to Mariush, Jul 19, 2013

Mariush wrote:

As you state yourself it's early days as we have not seen any photo's yet, but looking at the (very small) size of the sensor I expect this will not deliver anything better than the quality you are comparing it with. You will have to wait and see for other options.....

-- hide signature --

Best regards, Marius

Looks like I will have to hang onto my hard-earned cash a while longer and stop coming into dpreview hourly LOL !

Dogglet's gear list:Dogglet's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Canon Pixma Pro-100 Gimp +5 more
Gary S
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,030
Like?
Re: Good enough for birding?
In reply to Dogglet, Jul 19, 2013

Dogglet wrote:

Ever since I realized I couldn't afford Canon's 600mm f/4 for birding purposes on my EOS600D, I've been pinching my GF's FZ150 + LT-55 combo (which I bought for her 1.5 years ago) for birding, while I just use the Canon for macro and portraits.

It's probably going to work fairly good for birding, especially in your sunny environment. Same here in So California. Similar to you, I had been eyeing another Canon Super Telephoto. In this case it's the 500mm f4 IS to use with the Canon 1.4x. But even the previous version is going for about $6,000.00 in good shape.

As much as I'd like to hit that "Buy" button for the 500mm, I've resisted the temptation for the time being.

I also use the LT-55 on my FZ150 and FZ200. To me that combo looks OK but only in the center of the frame. So new cameras with a big zoom grab my attention wondering if the lens will outperform that combination I have. Even moderately. At a price of $400 or under, that's a pretty easy unit to add to your lineup.

We'll just have to wait for enough samples to make a reliable conclusion.

Cyril Catt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,018
Like?

I like the 20-1200 mm range, but at over 600 g it would be like going back to lugging a DSLR again

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363
Like?
In reply to Cyril Catt, Jul 19, 2013

Cyril Catt wrote:

I like the 20-1200 mm range, but at over 600 g it would be like going back to lugging a DSLR again

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Canon SX50: 595g

Panasonic DMC-FZ70: 606 grams

Panasonic DMC-FZ200: 588g

Probably unavoidable.

My DMC-FZ35 (18x zoom) weighs in at 397g

Hatstand
Contributing MemberPosts: 971Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cyril Catt, Jul 19, 2013

Cyril Catt wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Not really - think about how many lenses you'd need for a DSLR, to cover 20mm through to 1200mm... and how big and heavy they would be. Not to mention how much they'd cost. Isn't that the point of a superzoom?

I'm already in DSLR territory by taking a teleconverter when I go to airshows with my FZ200. If I had 1200mm (actually just 900mm would do)... I could ditch the teleconverter and half the weight...!

Hatstand's gear list:Hatstand's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363
Like?
In reply to Hatstand, Jul 19, 2013

Hatstand wrote:

I'm already in DSLR territory by taking a teleconverter when I go to airshows with my FZ200. If I had 1200mm (actually just 900mm would do)... I could ditch the teleconverter and half the weight...!

I can relate to this statement

Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,622Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hatstand, Jul 19, 2013

Cyril Catt wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Not really - think about how many lenses you'd need for a DSLR, to cover 20mm through to 1200mm... and how big and heavy they would be. Not to mention how much they'd cost. Isn't that the point of a superzoom?

I like how the camera handles with the TC connected. Depth of field is a lot narrower tho. Sometimes I prefer to shoot with the digital zoom instead because of this. But I have also shot using the TC and digital all the way out to 2040mm equivalent with good results...hand held too! TC conversion must be turned on for the IS to allow you to get these shots tho.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,190Gear list
Like?
GEEEZZZ, GIVE IT A CHANCE, WILL YA!!!!!

Look Sportsfans....

I shoot with the likes of the Canon SX-50 HS which has a 24-1100 zoom - and it shoots RAW - and I'm finding the results to be superb (given the genre of camera).

And I also have the 16 MP Nikon P510 (no RAW - just JPG) and surprisingly, this baby shines also.

I realize these super zoom all-in-ones have limitations.  After all, it's the nature of the genre, but let's give this FZ-70 a chance, will ya.  I love the fact that it employs a faster lens than the others use (other than the FZ-200 of course), and also that it shoots in RAW (which will make a huge difference), and has an external flash hot shoe.

I'm frankly looking forward to the initial user comments on this camera.  But let's give it a chance before all of the naysayers come out of their cubby holes to chastise this release.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +26 more
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,382Gear list
Like?
Re: GEEEZZZ, GIVE IT A CHANCE, WILL YA!!!!!
In reply to Ben Herrmann, Jul 19, 2013

The cameras you mention are good cameras - until the light gets low and you want to use longer than about 100mm (I don't know the exact profile for those cameras, but I expect that by 100mm they will be f4 or slower). Then, the "slow" maximum aperture at that setting and beyond forces higher ISOs which causes image degradation. The FZ200 would stay at f2.8 all the way out to 600mm.

The new FZ70 looks like it could be pretty good - as long as you don't want to use it in low light.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
4 seconds to zoom all the way out? No thanks!

John McCormack wrote:

Well, I don't know what Panasonic was thinking when they announced this monstrosity. I will reserve judgment at this point in time but this bazooka is making the FZ200 look more inviting. What do others think?

Right before you hit the shutter button, your subject is gone and is laughing at you already.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,471
Like?
Re: I am very afraid..,
In reply to Kevin Coppalotti, Jul 19, 2013

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

why do people test these 1200 focal lengths by trying to photograph a maggot half a mile away? The real use is photographing things like small birds from as little as 4- 5 meters away from the camera.

Because it's a 'party trick'. "Look - would you believe this (grainy, indistinct) seagull was an eight of a mile away?"

Very impressive, I guess - but yielding a photo that most people would not consider all that good.

The FZ200 with its constant f/2.8 zoom is so much more valid, allowing the user to shoot at lower ISO through the zoom range and effectively counter the limitations of its small sensor. That made sense. This FZ70 just lumps in with the other ridiculous long super mega zooms.

kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,696Gear list
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Jul 19, 2013

Midwest wrote:

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

why do people test these 1200 focal lengths by trying to photograph a maggot half a mile away? The real use is photographing things like small birds from as little as 4- 5 meters away from the camera.

Because it's a 'party trick'. "Look - would you believe this (grainy, indistinct) seagull was an eight of a mile away?"

Very impressive, I guess - but yielding a photo that most people would not consider all that good.

The FZ200 with its constant f/2.8 zoom is so much more valid, allowing the user to shoot at lower ISO through the zoom range and effectively counter the limitations of its small sensor. That made sense. This FZ70 just lumps in with the other ridiculous long super mega zooms.

I think you missed Kevin's point - the long focal lengths are indeed very usable for many, but not necessarily for the very long range shots but rather shorter ones with small objects.  No "lumping" necessary, but if it's not for you then you don't have to buy it!

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Gary S
Like?
Re: 4 seconds to zoom all the way out? No thanks!
In reply to jcmarfilph, Jul 19, 2013

jcmarfilph wrote:

Right before you hit the shutter button, your subject is gone and is laughing at you already.

-=[ Joms ]=-

4 seconds. The absolute horror of 4 seconds.

I don't even know if I can go on living now. Especially if I see a bird laughing at me as he leaves.

Good thing I usually keep my zooms at full telephoto when I'm out shooting more distant subjects.

But if I can't zoom it back fast enough to catch a closer subject, that might be totally devastating too. I think that could ruin a whole year for me. Oh my God! What should I do??

Al de Wet
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, Jul 19, 2013

Same experience with my 2.2X raynox converter. Amazing stable handheld.

MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,949Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary S, Jul 19, 2013

Gary S wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

-=[ Joms ]=-

4 seconds. The absolute horror of 4 seconds.

I don't even know if I can go on living now. Especially if I see a bird laughing at me as he leaves.

Good thing I usually keep my zooms at full telephoto when I'm out shooting more distant subjects.

But if I can't zoom it back fast enough to catch a closer subject, that might be totally devastating too. I think that could ruin a whole year for me. Oh my God! What should I do??

Joms gets off on these reactions.

As always, Don't Feed The Trolls.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Gary S
Like?
In reply to MarioV, Jul 19, 2013

MarioV wrote:

I know who Joms is, he likes to antagonize people who don't shoot Fujifilm cameras. They've banned him a couple times here at DPReview. No big deal though. It's fun to make him look silly.

JoePhoto
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,039
Like?
In reply to CameraCarl, Jul 19, 2013

Well if the FZ250 (or whatever) still has an f2.8 lens and is able to go as wide as 20mm and to at least the same 600mm (equivalent), I'm sold!

I agree.

I use the widest angle 10X more than I use full tele.

Seems like 50% of my photos are widest, and only 1-2% at full tele. (Remaining 48-49% in between.)

-- hide signature --

Thanks for reading .... JoePhoto

( Do You Ever STOP to THINK --- and FORGET to START Again ??? )

kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,696Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary S, Jul 19, 2013

Gary S wrote:

MarioV wrote:

I know who Joms is, he likes to antagonize people who don't shoot Fujifilm cameras. They've banned him a couple times here at DPReview. No big deal though. It's fun to make him look silly.

Yep - Joms lives in a fantasy world where you can't get any decent shot unless you have a manual zoom. A world where any camera with a motorized zoom is a toy while those with a manual zoom are tools. In reality, he's the tool.

Obviously, the Fuji doesn't quite deliver or Joms wouldn't need to spend his time over here looking for something better. If the FZ returned to the manual zoom, he'd drop his beloved Fuji like a hot rock.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,471
Like?
In reply to kkardster, Jul 19, 2013

kkardster wrote:

Midwest wrote:

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

I think you missed Kevin's point - the long focal lengths are indeed very usable for many, but not necessarily for the very long range shots but rather shorter ones with small objects. No "lumping" necessary, but if it's not for you then you don't have to buy it!

No, I won't be buying it. My main point though was (if not clearly expressed) that I find a faster but shorter zoom much more worthwhile than an extra long but slow one.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads