D800 Screen is too bright and shows under exposed images as properly exposed and vice versa...

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions
Evil Genius
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
D800 Screen is too bright and shows under exposed images as properly exposed and vice versa...
Jul 17, 2013

Hi! Has anyone figured out the ideal setting for the D800 screen? It is much too bright and does not match the actual exposure you got when you took the shot. I'm trying to figure out what the best setting is?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Histogram not working?
In reply to Evil Genius, Jul 17, 2013

Is the histogram on your image playback not working?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,052Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Screen is too bright and shows under exposed images as properly exposed and vice versa...
In reply to Evil Genius, Jul 17, 2013

I go with auto brightness.  It isn't always right, but then the rear screen isn't (IMHO) a good way of judging exposure.  The histogram is (for me) much more useful for this.  Similarly, I don't think you can assess colour well from the camera screen.  I shoot raw and leave assessment of colour for PP.

Sorry if that isn't helpful for your style of shooting!

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Evil Genius
Like?
Re: D800 Screen is too bright and shows under exposed images as properly exposed and vice versa...
In reply to Simon Garrett, Jul 17, 2013

It's not so much for me as it is for the model, I was having a shoot the other day and I was showing the model some photos on the LCD and she was like "But this Photo is waaaaaay too bright" and I was like "No no, it's the screen - It's kinda bright" and she wanted me to reshoot and didn't believe me that I got it right until I showed her on the Mac and then she was like "Ooooooooh, okay.".

Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,366Gear list
Like?
turn down LCD brightness
In reply to Evil Genius, Jul 18, 2013

FWIW, I've always turned down the LCD brightness on most of my Nikon bodies, precisely because it is normally too bright for image reviews.  IME, it isn't all that much trouble to turn it down to where it is reasonably close to what the exposure should be.

As the others have said, I don't use it for judging exposure, where the histogram and even the blinking highlights are a better tool.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Evil Genius
Like?
Re: turn down LCD brightness
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Jul 18, 2013

Kerry Pierce wrote:

FWIW, I've always turned down the LCD brightness on most of my Nikon bodies, precisely because it is normally too bright for image reviews. IME, it isn't all that much trouble to turn it down to where it is reasonably close to what the exposure should be.

As the others have said, I don't use it for judging exposure, where the histogram and even the blinking highlights are a better tool.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

Is there a sweet spot or ideal setting?

Kerry Pierce
Like?

Evil Genius wrote:

Kerry Pierce wrote:

FWIW, I've always turned down the LCD brightness on most of my Nikon bodies, precisely because it is normally too bright for image reviews. IME, it isn't all that much trouble to turn it down to where it is reasonably close to what the exposure should be.

No, not really.  IME, it greatly depends upon the scene brightness and the ambient light falling on the LCD.

I don't mess with it much, usually leaving it at -2 or -1 at the brightest settings.

I haven't tried the auto brightness feature.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

tektrader
Contributing MemberPosts: 640Gear list
Like?
Re: Histogram not working?
In reply to reginalddwight, Jul 18, 2013

reginalddwight wrote:

Is the histogram on your image playback not working?

THIS.............  Don't rely on any camera screen for what you are doing.

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +4 more
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?

Evil Genius wrote:

Kerry Pierce wrote:

Kerry

-- hide signature --

It depends on ambient lighting. A -1 setting might suit for indoor lights but will look like it is underexposed in bright sun light. If your problem is the preview when you show it to your clients in the studio, I would just find a setting (probably -1 or -2) that looks good in your studio.

Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,052Gear list
Like?

Evil Genius wrote:

It's not so much for me as it is for the model, I was having a shoot the other day and I was showing the model some photos on the LCD and she was like "But this Photo is waaaaaay too bright" and I was like "No no, it's the screen - It's kinda bright" and she wanted me to reshoot and didn't believe me that I got it right until I showed her on the Mac and then she was like "Ooooooooh, okay.".

Get another model?

But I do see what you mean - I've had people comment on the screen image before, and they give me rather funny looks when I say that it isn't how it's going to look when printed or on a monitor screen.  For studio-type stuff I shoot tethered to a laptop when possible, and even then most laptop screens are pretty awful (some are good, including Macbooks and some Dell HD screens).

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Araucaria
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?

Two options:

Turn down brightness.

Turn off Active Dlighting -> This actually makes you guess wrong the exposure from your JPGS

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,761Gear list
Like?
In reply to Araucaria, Jul 18, 2013

Araucaria wrote:

Two options:

Turn down brightness.

Turn off Active Dlighting -> This actually makes you guess wrong the exposure from your JPGS

I would agree with this recommendation.  Unless you shoot jpg or use Nikon Capture NX2 to process your photos I can't think of any good reason to have Active D-Lighting turned on in the camera.

I suppose one could argue that when shooting raw it will give you a preview on your camera LCD of what is possible in post processing.  But having it turned on also affects things like your camera buffer so I never have it turned on.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,735Gear list
Like?
Re: Histogram not working?
In reply to reginalddwight, Jul 20, 2013

The histogram is the ONLY way to judge exposure on a camera.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +51 more
Cliff Fujii
Like?
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Jul 20, 2013

I don't have the LCD turned on for post shooting review.  I get a big kick out of seeing people Chimping the LCD screen after every shot.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +51 more
Kerry Pierce
Like?
In reply to Cliff Fujii, Jul 20, 2013

Cliff Fujii wrote:

I don't have the LCD turned on for post shooting review.

That is the first thing I change on every body, turning off the auto review.

I get a big kick out of seeing people Chimping the LCD screen after every shot.

Why?  Everyone is different and have different ways of doing things, often for different reasons.  I don't understand the reasoning, but if someone finds it helpful, more power to them, IMO.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

Cliff Fujii
Like?
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Jul 20, 2013

It's been my experience that people who chimp usually do not know their camera or have no confidence in their equipment.  Whenever I get a new lens or body, I keep the post shooting review on to verify the equipment is working as planned.  After that, I turn off post shooting review.  Whenever I start shooting for the day, I go through a checklist to verify that the camera settings are my default.

Chimping your images disturbs your showing flow.  This is especially important when you are working a scene.  Even though I turn off post shooting review, I will review my images for focus after I'm through working the scene.  The important thing is to not let anything disturb your flow when shooting.

Of course you're right too.  When people get into a habit of doing things one way successfully, they are loth to change it.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads