GH3 - a pleasure to use

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,353Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't understand about the glasses; why do you have to wear them?
In reply to Corkcampbell, Jul 21, 2013

Corkcampbell wrote:

The only reason I can see for not doing the same is if the diopter adjustment doesn't work for your eyes' weaknesses, perhaps not strong enough.

That's exactly the case.  I have pretty severe astigmatism, the a diopter adjustment doesn't compensate for that. I tired, but unfortunately it's just not an option for me.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,353Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't understand about the glasses; why do you have to wear them?
In reply to helimech, Jul 21, 2013

helimech wrote:

I don't know why manufacturers don't take glasses wearers more into account when designing viewfinders. It's not like we are a small number of people, yet 90% of viewfinders I find are compromised in some way (sometimes small ways) for glasses wearers. Even if the stock cushion was larger but you could buy a smaller one for use with glasses I wiuld be happy.

In the old days, manufacturers used to offer custom lenses for the viewfinders of their Pro cameras that you could have ground to match your eyeglass prescription. (Maybe they still do, I haven't bought a true pro-level camera in a long time.)  But I recall that for my Canon F1N this option was available, but not cheap.

Maybe they feel it's less important today, since so many people where contacts.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,811Gear list
Like?
Thanks. Got it. (nt)
In reply to Bob Meyer, Jul 21, 2013

no text

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Corkcampbell
Like?
What's wrong with the price ($1050)?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Jul 21, 2013

That's cheaper than a lot of good lenses and, much cheaper than similarly-positioned cameras a few years ago.

If people are hesitating to purchase this camera (or an OM-D, or other mid-ranged cameras) because of price, it's time to find a hobby that they can afford. Don't lose sight of the fact that the big money should be spent on lenses, which are kept much longer than bodies, which are recycled every couple of years.

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Corkcampbell
Like?
For your use, I would recommend the GH3.
In reply to Macintosh Sauce, Jul 21, 2013

I come from the world of dSLRs (including Canon, and, for the last decade Minolta/Sony). I got into m4/3 when the GF1 came out. Except for school graduations and events a few times a year, I mostly use my cameras for travel and daily shooting. The m4/3 system excels in that regard, not only for the smaller bodies, but even more so for the much smaller lenses. Take a look at the Pany 100-300, for example: it covers 600mm but is a fraction of the size of a similar lens for normal dSLRs. Don't quibble about the price of  the bodies, or go for the latest B&H sale, because it's  the lenses that are important.

Another  reason for the GH3 vote is that it is the latest (not counting the coming Blackmagic Cinema Compact) in video. If you think that you might want to get into video in the future, this is the camera. I have 2 GH2 bodies, and 2 OM-Ds; if the latter had decent video capabilities, I would not have kept the GH2s. Last week I bought the GH3 (and grip). It's really nice and the stills seem to match those of the OM-D. I will probably sell one of my GH2s and one or both of my OM-D cameras to fund the purchase.

As for lenses, don't forget about the primes - the Oly 45mm is a great portrait lens and the Pany 14mm 2.5 is a very small, but very good travel lens - it's my most-used lens, especially for video indoors.

A couple of years ago I would have advised someone to stick to dSLRs for optimum IQ, but that has all changed with the recent Sony m4/3 sensors (GH3, OM-D, and newer Olys?).

Lastly, with the increasing interest in video, and the fact that the GH3 is the best in that regard, the resale of the GH3 will hold up (check out that of the GH2) much better than a normal dSLR, or one of the Oly Pens. If I were to sell a GH2 now, I would actually make at least $100 over what I paid for it, judging by the latest eBay auctions.

Corkcampbell
Like?
Yes, very good advice.
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, Jul 21, 2013

I bought my second GH2 for $499 at B&H in December and they are going for over $600 used on ebay now! I bought a GH3 last week but will keep one GH2 as a video backup, the other (along with an OM-D0 will be sold to fund the GH3.

The GH2, in my opinion, is a little weak as far as stills go, which is why I picked up an OM-D (two, actually) and, now, a GH3, but I don't think I'd trade one for a G6 if video were any kind of priority. We haven't seen what hacking might offer the G6, but we know the GH2 is very, very capable.

Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,291
Like?
Re: Got my GH3 today
In reply to robonrome, Jul 21, 2013

robonrome wrote:

viewfinder perceptions will always (like most things i guess) be somewhat personal preference, personal requirement (eg glasses wearer) and personal experience (past camera ovf/efv) history dependant.

Definitely.

the gh3 evf while it has flaws, also have pluses, not least of which it is certainly brighter and less prone to motion effects and low light grainyness than other evfs ive used.

EVF tech is moving in a good direction as far as better quality goes; it's good to see it progress in the newer cameras. While not always my preference, I can get most things done fine and it does bring its own benefits.

averacpa
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Jul 21, 2013

Since many have been comparing the GH3 with the OMD, I would like to hear from those who have used both which would be better for me based on the LCD.

I need to shoot with the LCD due to a medical problem with my dominant left eye. Which limits the use of the EVF to composition.  Over time my right eye may become dominant, but the LCD is easier to use with both eyes open.

Currently I am using the GX1 (have the EVF 2 for bright days).  I love the feel and ergonomics of the camera, not to mention how light and small it is. I shoot with both Oly and Pan lenses.  I would like to have IBIS for my 9-18, 45 and 20mm lenses, but that is not a deal breaker.

I appreciate your suggestions and advice.

robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,255Gear list
Like?
In reply to averacpa, Jul 21, 2013

Since many have been comparing the GH3 with the OMD, I would like to hear from those who have used both which would be better for me based on the LCD.

I need to shoot with the LCD due to a medical problem with my dominant left eye. Which limits the use of the EVF to composition.  Over time my right eye may become dominant, but the LCD is easier to use with both eyes open.

Currently I am using the GX1 (have the EVF 2 for bright days).  I love the feel and ergonomics of the camera, not to mention how light and small it is. I shoot with both Oly and Pan lenses.  I would like to have IBIS for my 9-18, 45 and 20mm lenses, but that is not a deal breaker.

I appreciate your suggestions and advice.

I belive the GH3 LCD is superior to the omd from a'resolution pov. It has an excellent screen that i find vastly better than the G5. I''d prefer it anyway over the omd for its full articulation but that's personal.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
yslee1
Regular MemberPosts: 345
Like?
In reply to robonrome, Jul 22, 2013

robonrome wrote:

I belive the GH3 LCD is superior to the omd from a'resolution pov. It has an excellent screen that i find vastly better than the G5. I''d prefer it anyway over the omd for its full articulation but that's personal.

Actually, both should be the same, and they're not LCDs: Both cameras feature a VGA AMOLED screen utilising the Pentile pixel matrix.

robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,255Gear list
Like?
In reply to yslee1, Jul 22, 2013

yslee1 wrote:

robonrome wrote:

Actually, both should be the same, and they're not LCDs: Both cameras feature a VGA AMOLED screen utilising the Pentile pixel matrix.

thanks' cant say i had compared them side by side but the OMD screen didnt jump out at me as anything special compared to say the G5 the few times ive tried it whereas it was one of the first things that jumped out at me with the gh3... just so sharp contrasty and great clarity.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,291
Like?
Re: What's wrong with the price ($1050)?
In reply to Corkcampbell, Jul 22, 2013

Corkcampbell wrote:

Don't lose sight of the fact that the big money should be spent on lenses, which are kept much longer than bodies, which are recycled every couple of years.

you hinted at the reason there: lenses are kept longer than bodies.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads