GH3 - a pleasure to use

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,146Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3 - a pleasure to use
In reply to robonrome, 9 months ago

Thanks for all the kind and thoughtful comments.

After years of lusting after camera equipment and realising it wasn't helping my photography, I'm finally starting to appreciate the best camera is one that you hardly notice using. As much or perhaps more important than features and specs is a camera that "gets out of the way". The GH3 is that camera for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 10,936Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dr Hal, 9 months ago

Dr Hal wrote:

I switched from using the GX1 and GH2 about 10 months ago to the OMD. I am not unhappy with the OMD but I just cannot seem to get the comfort level because of the very difficult operating system. The Panasonic system is just better. If the new GX2 has the improved sensor of the GH3, I will probably switch back to it. I would think that the GX2 will have the new sensor or why would they even bother to put it on the market??

Hal

The rumors are - (please excuse me) - that the revised GX1 will be called the GX7 and will have a Pana-sourced 18mp sensor with no new extraordinary design elements. If true, I guess it's sensor performance would be almost within range of the PL5 and NEX-5R/6.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon 1 S1 NEX5R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +10 more
captura
Like?
Re: Dr. Hal, SCPanel
In reply to Barry Stewart, 9 months ago

Barry Stewart wrote:

Just checking... have you activated the Super Control Panel? Oly DSLRs since at least the E-330 have had this as a default, where you see all of your major settings on the LCD. It is switchable, through cycling through the info screens but it is never OFF, as it was on my E-PL5.

For some reason, the latest µ4/3 (and maybe all of them?) come from the factory with this function turned OFF. It was a bit of a process to discover how to turn the SCP on, on my E-PL5 — but it instantly made the camera more manageable.

If you haven't made this adjustment, I highly recommend it.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Turning on the Olympus Super Control Panel

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:UGMq1Vxa9-wJ:blog.atmtxphoto.com/2013/05/07/turning-on-the-olympus-super-control-panel/+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon 1 S1 NEX5R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +10 more
captura
Like?
Re: In hand, this the best feeling camera
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 9 months ago

How about a G6?

Macintosh Sauce
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?

Excellent pics!

I am also looking at the Lumix GH3. I was thinking of going 35mm FF, since I am purchasing my first DSLR. To be honest I am looking at the Canon 6D with the deal that B&H has on until the end of September. Then I keep reading about the Lumix GH3.

One thing I really like about the GH3 is that it appears to be built like a tank. Also, it's dust/moisture proof - very important to me.

Question for those that own the GH3 already... Are all of the Lumix lenses dust/moisture proof?
In Summer 2014, after my graduation from Western Governors University, my wife and I are going to Europe for about two months. I want to have a camera that takes great pics and video. The Lumix GH3 seems to be the perfect camera for my needs.

robonrome
Like?
In reply to Macintosh Sauce, 9 months ago

Excellent pics!

I am also looking at the Lumix GH3. I was thinking of going 35mm FF, since I am purchasing my first DSLR. To be honest I am looking at the Canon 6D with the deal that B&H has on until the end of September. Then I keep reading about the Lumix GH3.

One thing I really like about the GH3 is that it appears to be built like a tank. Also, it's dust/moisture proof - very important to me.

Question for those that own the GH3 already... Are all of the Lumix lenses dust/moisture proof?
In Summer 2014, after my graduation from Western Governors University, my wife and I are going to Europe for about two months. I want to have a camera that takes great pics and video. The Lumix GH3 seems to be the perfect camera for my needs.

Hi mac sause, so far the only weathersealed Panasonic lenses are the 12-35 and 35-100. Olympus has a 12-50 and also a 60mm macro which are weathersealed. I have the 12-35 and the 60olympus.

toxinoz
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
In reply to chrisnorris, 9 months ago

Well said.

-- hide signature --

J White
Olympus user since OM1

toxinoz's gear list:toxinoz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
toxinoz
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?

Thanks for posting, I like the images. I looked at the GH3, but decided it was just that little bit too big & heavy for me (compared to my OMD), but that is just me (I do still have my GH2, so not antiPanasonic - they make great gear). If it works so well for you, fabulous and surely a great decision on your part. I look forward to seeing more of what you can achieve with this excellent camera.

-- hide signature --

J White
Olympus user since OM1

toxinoz's gear list:toxinoz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
bluelemmy
Contributing MemberPosts: 693
Like?

I know what vyou mean. I have been a prfessional photographer for 50 years and the GH3, especially with the battery grip, is the best designed and handling camera I have ever used.

Panasonic say they consulted photographers on the design of the GH3 and it shows.

-- hide signature --

David
www.dthorpe.net

Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 1,834
Like?

The ergonomics on the GH3 is great!

The bond you have with the camera is something that's often overlooked but very important to me and it affects your work for sure.

Now if Panasonic would get onto the business of reducing the price on that puppy...

GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 9 months ago

captura wrote:

How about a G6?

Yes, the ergonomics seem to be very good.  But the other characteristics of the G6 don't seem to be significantly improved from my GH2.  In any event, whenever Henry's gets one into my nearest city, I'll stop in to play with it.

Thanks,

t

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,145Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, 9 months ago

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

The ergonomics on the GH3 is great!

The bond you have with the camera is something that's often overlooked but very important to me and it affects your work for sure.

Now if Panasonic would get onto the business of reducing the price on that puppy...

Yes, it is true

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
yslee1
Regular MemberPosts: 239
Like?
In reply to bluelemmy, 9 months ago

bluelemmy wrote:

Panasonic say they consulted photographers on the design of the GH3 and it shows.

They did? Damn, I wish I was involved. The camera's good, but so many places for improvement.

captura
Like?
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 9 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

captura wrote:

How about a G6?

Yes, the ergonomics seem to be very good. But the other characteristics of the G6 don't seem to be significantly improved from my GH2. In any event, whenever Henry's gets one into my nearest city, I'll stop in to play with it.

Thanks,

t

The GH2 is hugely admired and used examples are still fetching near-new prices. Why not just hang onto it for a couple of more years? In the meanwhile, there are going to be a lot of changes.

robonrome
Like?
In reply to yslee1, 9 months ago

yslee1 wrote:

bluelemmy wrote:

They did? Damn, I wish I was involved. The camera's good, but so many places for improvement.

not all photographers agree on what makes the perfect camera so end product will always appear imperfect to many. for me i cant find any fault that could not be addressed in firmware, and to me that shows theyve at least got the fundamentals right.

Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?
Got my GH3 today
In reply to Bob Meyer, 9 months ago

Didn't have much chance to play with it, sadly. I was really busy.

BUT:  The ergos are darn near perfect. Oh, I could find a few quibbles, but it fits my hands perfectly, the most used controls fall readily to hand, er. finger. Like anything, it will take some time to learn to use it without having to think about the controls, but it's the most comfortable, natural feeling body I've used in a long, long time.  time will tell, but I think even better than my beloved EOS-1 film camera, which up until now I'd list as my fave.

But, the camera isn't perfect. I'm amazed at how poor the viewfinder optics are, and I'm surprised this camera got out of Panasonic's development shop this way. I wear glasses, which probably makes it worse, but I have to wear my glasses. Other people say that after a while they don't notice any issues, so I'll give it some time, but it's a real disappointment on a body where everything else is just so right.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?
$1,049 until 20 July
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, 9 months ago

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

ness of reducing the price on that puppy...

Down to $1,049 for a couple more days, at B&H and Amazon.

-- hide signature --

OM-D for sale; see classifieds forum.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 9 months ago

captura wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

captura wrote:

How about a G6?

Yes, the ergonomics seem to be very good. But the other characteristics of the G6 don't seem to be significantly improved from my GH2. In any event, whenever Henry's gets one into my nearest city, I'll stop in to play with it.

Thanks,

t

The GH2 is hugely admired and used examples are still fetching near-new prices. Why not just hang onto it for a couple of more years? In the meanwhile, there are going to be a lot of changes.

Good advice! 

t

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
helimech
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?
Re: Got my GH3 today
In reply to Bob Meyer, 9 months ago

BUT:  The ergos are darn near perfect. Oh, I could find a few quibbles, but it fits my hands perfectly, the most used controls fall readily to hand, er. finger. Like anything, it will take some time to learn to use it without having to think about the controls, but it's the most comfortable, natural feeling body I've used in a long, long time.  time will tell, but I think even better than my beloved EOS-1 film camera, which up until now I'd list as my fave.

But, the camera isn't perfect. I'm amazed at how poor the viewfinder optics are, and I'm surprised this camera got out of Panasonic's development shop this way. I wear glasses, which probably makes it worse, but I have to wear my glasses. Other people say that after a while they don't notice any issues, so I'll give it some time, but it's a real disappointment on a body where everything else is just so right.

I wear glasses too, the first time I lifted the GH3 up to my eye my initial reaction was "oh no, it really is as bad as some say". However after a few days adjusting and realizing that there is just a very narrow angle of non-distorted view it doesn't bother me anymore. It is a shame they didn't invest in a better EVF but its completely functional for most uses. I still perfer the GH3s near perfect ergonomics and average EVF to the OM-D's rather cramped layout but better EVF.

helimech's gear list:helimech's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +4 more
captura
Like?
Re: Got my GH3 today
In reply to helimech, 9 months ago

helimech wrote:

BUT: The ergos are darn near perfect. Oh, I could find a few quibbles, but it fits my hands perfectly, the most used controls fall readily to hand, er. finger. Like anything, it will take some time to learn to use it without having to think about the controls, but it's the most comfortable, natural feeling body I've used in a long, long time. time will tell, but I think even better than my beloved EOS-1 film camera, which up until now I'd list as my fave.

I wear glasses too, the first time I lifted the GH3 up to my eye my initial reaction was "oh no, it really is as bad as some say". However after a few days adjusting and realizing that there is just a very narrow angle of non-distorted view it doesn't bother me anymore. It is a shame they didn't invest in a better EVF but its completely functional for most uses. I still perfer the GH3s near perfect ergonomics and average EVF to the OM-D's rather cramped layout but better EVF.

I am very confused by these complaints about thje GH3's EVF. How can it possibly be so much worse than the elderly G1's EVF, which I use regularly and is possibly the best I have ever encountered? Could somebody please explain what's going on here?

Now I'm near-sighted but don't wear glasses, just have the G1's diopter adjusted to my eyes.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads