GH3 - a pleasure to use

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256Gear list
Like?
GH3 - a pleasure to use
Jul 17, 2013

Really enjoying the GH3. It's hard to explain but now I've got it all setup to my liking it's just so effortless and satisfying to use - everything I want to know is there in the evf and tweaking exposure and settings, already intuitive, is becoming effortless. I love having all the things I need, whether it's spot metering for one shot, a quick timer shot, or silent mode etc at the push of a preset button or flick of a dial - no need to dive into menus. The twin dials behind the shutter are excellent and used for exposure compensation and aperture setting in combination are so easy craft the perfect histogram without ever having to look at the camera.

Here's a few shots from recent random walks around my city. C&C welcome.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
caimi
Contributing MemberPosts: 517
Like?
Re: GH3 - a pleasure to use
In reply to robonrome, Jul 17, 2013

I agree. The GH3 is a pleasure to shoot with. I bought it as a compliment to my OMD and I like it so much I sold the OMD.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stronics
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?

Well, it's plain to see you are at one with your camera. Great, thoughtful pictures. It's great to find that camera that suits you to a tee.

David

sea_dragon
Contributing MemberPosts: 653Gear list
Like?

Great photos!  I totally agree with you re. the GH3.  It's an excellent camera!

sea_dragon's gear list:sea_dragon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Dr Hal
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?
In reply to stronics, Jul 17, 2013

I switched from using the GX1 and GH2 about 10 months ago to the OMD.  I am not unhappy with the OMD but I just cannot seem to get the comfort level because of the very difficult operating system.  The Panasonic system is just better.  If the new GX2 has the improved sensor of the GH3, I will probably switch back to it.  I would think that the GX2 will have the new sensor or why would they even bother to put it on the market??

Hal

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,541Gear list
Like?
In reply to stronics, Jul 17, 2013

stronics wrote:

Well, it's plain to see you are at one with your camera. Great, thoughtful pictures. It's great to find that camera that suits you to a tee.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Both about the photos and the engagement with a particular camera.   The former stems from the latter, which matters  regardless of the gear in hand.  

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
drtmw
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?

Nice pictures, thanks for posting them. I just this week got a GH3, too. The size and layout are are really, really great. Picture taking is also about the feel and ease the camera imparts to the user. It has cool features as well.  I still have not quite bonded with it since it is a good deal heavier than my old G5. I have a trip planned up to the high country (I live in CO not far from high mountains) this weekend for wild flower pictures and I hope to really get to know it better.

Tom

drtmw's gear list:drtmw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS
chrisnorris
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?

This thread is like a breath of fresh air.  Really great to see someone likely their camera because of how it feels and fits them rather than the science behind its specs.

chrisnorris's gear list:chrisnorris's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,099Gear list
Like?
Dr. Hal, SCPanel
In reply to Dr Hal, Jul 17, 2013

Just checking... have you activated the Super Control Panel? Oly DSLRs since at least the E-330 have had this as a default, where you see all of your major settings on the LCD. It is switchable, through cycling through the info screens but it is never OFF, as it was on my E-PL5.

For some reason, the latest µ4/3 (and maybe all of them?) come from the factory with this function turned OFF. It was a bit of a process to discover how to turn the SCP on, on my E-PL5 — but it instantly made the camera more manageable.

If you haven't made this adjustment, I highly recommend it.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
georgec
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?
In hand, this the best feeling camera
In reply to chrisnorris, Jul 17, 2013

I have Canon 5D II and GH2 etc. GH3 is the most comfortable camera to hold, buttons are nice. I got the GH3 last week. Really enjoy  features like slow-motion video and silent shutter that GH2 does not have. With 12-35mm f2.8 and possible 35-100mm f2.8, I am going to enjoy the camera to the fullest

georgec's gear list:georgec's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +8 more
ekramer51
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?
Re: In hand, this the best feeling camera
In reply to georgec, Jul 17, 2013

I replaced my GH2 with the GH3 about four months ago. I can't wait to get back to Africa again in November for wildlife photography. The GH2 was a good camera but the GH3 once set up with all the function buttons is truly a pleasure to use. Photo to video, to photo size, to extended tele, to ISO, to WB, to etc, etc, etc, all at the touch of a button.....nice

ekramer51's gear list:ekramer51's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?
In reply to ekramer51, Jul 17, 2013

ekramer51 wrote:

I replaced my GH2 with the GH3 about four months ago. I can't wait to get back to Africa again in November for wildlife photography. The GH2 was a good camera but the GH3 once set up with all the function buttons is truly a pleasure to use. Photo to video, to photo size, to extended tele, to ISO, to WB, to etc, etc, etc, all at the touch of a button.....nice

A couple of months ago, at my request, our local Henry's Camera Store got a rare GH3 in to look at. I played with it for an hour or so and couldn't get comfortable with the EVF. The rest of the camera was an ergonomic beauty, but I decided to pass and to continue on with my GH2. I then got a GX1 as a spare camera.

The GH2 was a good camera but the GH3 once set up with all the function buttons is truly a pleasure to use.

Did I make a mistake? Do you really find a significant difference between the GH2 and GH3 in terms of ease of use and output quality? Have your habits changed as a result of the expanded button interface?

I am looking forward to the rumored GX2/7 and will be interested in its ergonomics.

Maybe I'll end up waiting for the next GH camera. In the meantime I'll learn to use what I have better!

By the way, your great shots of the cheetahs and lions remind me of safaris in the Amboseli when I did some assignments in East Africa in the 1970s. I don't recall seeing any leopards there though, so maybe you were in a different spot.

t

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
ekramer51
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, Jul 17, 2013

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

ekramer51 wrote:

A couple of months ago, at my request, our local Henry's Camera Store got a rare GH3 in to look at. I played with it for an hour or so and couldn't get comfortable with the EVF. The rest of the camera was an ergonomic beauty, but I decided to pass and to continue on with my GH2. I then got a GX1 as a spare camera.

The GH2 was a good camera but the GH3 once set up with all the function buttons is truly a pleasure to use.

Did I make a mistake? Do you really find a significant difference between the GH2 and GH3 in terms of ease of use and output quality? Have your habits changed as a result of the expanded button interface?

I am looking forward to the rumored GX2/7 and will be interested in its ergonomics.

Maybe I'll end up waiting for the next GH camera. In the meantime I'll learn to use what I have better!

By the way, your great shots of the cheetahs and lions remind me of safaris in the Amboseli when I did some assignments in East Africa in the 1970s. I don't recall seeing any leopards there though, so maybe you were in a different spot.

For me, and of course it's personal preferences but I find the expanded button interface a significant improvement especially rapidly shifting from still to video and back again. The body shape is a nice improvement as well

The pictures I have posted where taken in Kruger National Park, South Africa. We go there annually, self guide and spend about a month in the bush chasing the critters.

ekramer51's gear list:ekramer51's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
hifi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,152
Like?

Yes - I am really enjoying my GH3.  Coming from an FZ30, then to a G1, now to GH3, they have all been wonderful to hold and use, but the GH3 is the best camera I have ever used so far for physical ergonomics, and also menu usage.  The customizable function buttons, and overall button placement are tops.  It just feels right in my hands.

SDPharm
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?
In reply to hifi, Jul 17, 2013

hifi wrote:

... the GH3 is the best camera I have ever used so far for physical ergonomics, and also menu usage...

Yep.  The best handling camera for me as well.  It just sits in your hands better than my other cameras.  It's been a while, but I remember the Canon EOS 3 from the film days gave me the same feeling.

SDPharm's gear list:SDPharm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +2 more
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to SDPharm, Jul 17, 2013

I have fond memories of the EOS 3 as well. My GH3 arrives tomorrow. I hope I like it as much.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,937Gear list
Like?
I know what you mean. I have two OM-Ds, but just bought a GH3.
In reply to caimi, Jul 17, 2013

So, one of my OM-Ds will need to go; I also will lose one of my GH2s. A fair exchange, actually.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Corkcampbell
Like?
It's not difficult at all, especially with the Super Menu mentioned by another.
In reply to Dr Hal, Jul 17, 2013

I had no trouble setting my OM-D. I use the EVF for almost everything, but the super menu is always on the rear display. There are enough Fn buttons to set up the camera any way a person wants. Even the 12-50 kit lens has a function button, and the grip has two. I think that the OM-D is very well designed and have no trouble with the menu, which could be learned in an hour.

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Corkcampbell
Like?
Are you going to get the grip? It's nice as well, but adds nothing for video. (nt)
In reply to georgec, Jul 17, 2013

no text

GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?
In reply to ekramer51, Jul 17, 2013

ekramer51 wrote:

For me, and of course it's personal preferences but I find the expanded button interface a significant improvement especially rapidly shifting from still to video and back again. The body shape is a nice improvement as well

The pictures I have posted where taken in Kruger National Park, South Africa. We go there annually, self guide and spend about a month in the bush chasing the critters.

Thank you. Judging by other comments on this thread you are not alone!

I'm looking forward to more good imagery from Kruger!

self guide and spend about a month in the bush chasing the critters.

better than the reverse, eh?

t

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads