How many of you DPx fans who upgraded from an original to an M miss the flash?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,032Gear list
Like?
How many of you DPx fans who upgraded from an original to an M miss the flash?
9 months ago

I am thinking of upgrading my DP2 to a Merrill tomorrow. However, from looking at my previous photos, I noticed that I used fill flash (for portraits in odd situations, and similar) quite often.

I know that the Sigma flash is not expensive, but I really don't want to make my kit less portable.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +2 more
Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,741Gear list
Like?
Re: How many of you DPx fans who upgraded from an original to an M miss the flash?
In reply to Corkcampbell, 9 months ago

The Sigma flash is SO small, I just keep it in the small soft bag in my DP2Merrill camera case. For its size, it throws a lot of light, although it cannot swivel. Last week at the Folklife Festival I could see how flash was useful for back lit scenes (musicians in front of  strong outside-the-tent sunlight). If you have need of such lighting, get the Sigma flash. It's worth it.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Corkcampbell
Like?
Thank. Yes, I had one before, but sold it for lack of use.
In reply to SandyF, 9 months ago

Of course, the lack of use was due to my DP2 having its internal flash.

Yeah, if I get the camera, I'll probably get the flash as well as an extra (third) battery.

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +2 more
SigmaChrome
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,807Gear list
Like?
Re: How many of you DPx fans who upgraded from an original to an M miss the flash?
In reply to SandyF, 9 months ago

SandyF wrote:

The Sigma flash is SO small, I just keep it in the small soft bag in my DP2Merrill camera case. For its size, it throws a lot of light, although it cannot swivel. Last week at the Folklife Festival I could see how flash was useful for back lit scenes (musicians in front of strong outside-the-tent sunlight). If you have need of such lighting, get the Sigma flash. It's worth it.

I concur. It's absolutely essential if you want to shoot people or for flash fill-in work.

-- hide signature --
 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +13 more
abarth
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
I do

I miss it badly. Since my DP1 is not just used for landscape but also for social shots a flash is a must.

I got the EF-140DG but am disappointed in the way it exposes. It seems to constantly underexpose by at least 2 stops. Maybe it's broken.

I may try a third party flash, now that the sync issue at slow shutter speeds with third party flashes has been addressed by one of the firmware upgrades.

abarth's gear list:abarth's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma SD14 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +5 more
Corkcampbell
Like?
I'm going to get the 140 in a few hours.
In reply to abarth, 9 months ago

I had one for my DP2 and only used it a couple of times, but I don't remember any exposure problem. I'll test mine as soon as I get it; in fact, I'll test everything as I'll be leaving the USA for work early tomorrow and won't be able to return/exchange the new DP2M within the 30 day period if something is wrong with it.

Obviously, I regret selling my first 140 flash; who would have thought that the new DP cameras wouldn't have had flashes a couple of years ago?

Corkcampbell
Like?
Update: Bought the DP2M, the flash, and a couple of extra batteries this morning.

Thanks for all of the helpful comments and suggestions.

Scott Greiff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554Gear list
Like?
 Scott Greiff's gear list:Scott Greiff's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD15
rick decker
Forum ProPosts: 11,214
Like?

I don't do any serious flash photography so when I am out to dinner or whatever, I take the DP1 or DP2. It gives me a reason to take out the DP1 or2 which I need as I am spoiled by the "M" series. However their flash is so weak that I doubt many will attempt to use it for any serious or semi-serious photography.

PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,955Gear list
Like?
In reply to rick decker, 9 months ago

Fill light doesn't need a strong flash. You talk about using flash in dark rooms/at night.

Just love having a 1/2000 flash sync speed on old DP and DPxM.

As for the question, no I don't miss it and the small Sigma flash is in my bag so it has seen some usage too
--
Lightwriting with Sigma

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads