How many of you DPx fans who upgraded from an original to an M miss the flash?

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,983Gear list
Like?
How many of you DPx fans who upgraded from an original to an M miss the flash?
Jul 17, 2013

I am thinking of upgrading my DP2 to a Merrill tomorrow. However, from looking at my previous photos, I noticed that I used fill flash (for portraits in odd situations, and similar) quite often.

I know that the Sigma flash is not expensive, but I really don't want to make my kit less portable.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: How many of you DPx fans who upgraded from an original to an M miss the flash?
In reply to Corkcampbell, Jul 17, 2013

The Sigma flash is SO small, I just keep it in the small soft bag in my DP2Merrill camera case. For its size, it throws a lot of light, although it cannot swivel. Last week at the Folklife Festival I could see how flash was useful for back lit scenes (musicians in front of  strong outside-the-tent sunlight). If you have need of such lighting, get the Sigma flash. It's worth it.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Corkcampbell
Like?
Thank. Yes, I had one before, but sold it for lack of use.
In reply to SandyF, Jul 17, 2013

Of course, the lack of use was due to my DP2 having its internal flash.

Yeah, if I get the camera, I'll probably get the flash as well as an extra (third) battery.

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
SigmaChrome
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,110Gear list
Like?
Re: How many of you DPx fans who upgraded from an original to an M miss the flash?
In reply to SandyF, Jul 17, 2013

SandyF wrote:

The Sigma flash is SO small, I just keep it in the small soft bag in my DP2Merrill camera case. For its size, it throws a lot of light, although it cannot swivel. Last week at the Folklife Festival I could see how flash was useful for back lit scenes (musicians in front of strong outside-the-tent sunlight). If you have need of such lighting, get the Sigma flash. It's worth it.

I concur. It's absolutely essential if you want to shoot people or for flash fill-in work.

-- hide signature --
 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +13 more
abarth
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
I do

I miss it badly. Since my DP1 is not just used for landscape but also for social shots a flash is a must.

I got the EF-140DG but am disappointed in the way it exposes. It seems to constantly underexpose by at least 2 stops. Maybe it's broken.

I may try a third party flash, now that the sync issue at slow shutter speeds with third party flashes has been addressed by one of the firmware upgrades.

abarth's gear list:abarth's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma SD14 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +5 more
Corkcampbell
Like?
I'm going to get the 140 in a few hours.
In reply to abarth, Jul 17, 2013

I had one for my DP2 and only used it a couple of times, but I don't remember any exposure problem. I'll test mine as soon as I get it; in fact, I'll test everything as I'll be leaving the USA for work early tomorrow and won't be able to return/exchange the new DP2M within the 30 day period if something is wrong with it.

Obviously, I regret selling my first 140 flash; who would have thought that the new DP cameras wouldn't have had flashes a couple of years ago?

Corkcampbell
Like?
Update: Bought the DP2M, the flash, and a couple of extra batteries this morning.

Thanks for all of the helpful comments and suggestions.

Scott Greiff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,575Gear list
Like?
In reply to Corkcampbell, Jul 18, 2013
 Scott Greiff's gear list:Scott Greiff's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD15
rick decker
Forum ProPosts: 11,859
Like?
In reply to Corkcampbell, Jul 18, 2013

I don't do any serious flash photography so when I am out to dinner or whatever, I take the DP1 or DP2. It gives me a reason to take out the DP1 or2 which I need as I am spoiled by the "M" series. However their flash is so weak that I doubt many will attempt to use it for any serious or semi-serious photography.

PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,706
Like?
In reply to rick decker, Jul 18, 2013

Fill light doesn't need a strong flash. You talk about using flash in dark rooms/at night.

Just love having a 1/2000 flash sync speed on old DP and DPxM.

As for the question, no I don't miss it and the small Sigma flash is in my bag so it has seen some usage too
--
Lightwriting with Sigma

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads