* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 273, 13 07 17 *

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions
stephent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,505
Like?
Re: Random clicks from today.
In reply to sunisri, Jul 19, 2013

Hi mate, love the first two, bold framing and strong colour make these anything but flower photos. Really great images.

Regards.

Stephen.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stephent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,505
Like?
Re: Points of Light
In reply to dave gaines, Jul 19, 2013

Hi mate, well worth the effort to achieve the different view. Great colours, the black areas could be a little stronger on my screen. Really like the two lower bursts of fireworks they balance the image.

Regards.

Stephen.

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Re: The Cross...
In reply to stephent, Jul 19, 2013

Nice lines Stephan,

I'll have to go back and look at last week's image. I like the strong lines and vertical axis. It's very symmetrical. I'd also like to see it shown of center, asymmetrically. Nice B&W rendering.

This is a fabric structure, right? A freind of mine designs these here in So Cal. The connections and material forces are very complex.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
sunisri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281
Like?
In reply to stephent, Jul 19, 2013

stephent wrote:

Hi mate, love the first two, bold framing and strong colour make these anything but flower photos. Really great images.

Regards.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen for your kind comments.

-- hide signature --

Sri

sunisri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281
Like?
Re: Speedster..
In reply to LouHolland, Jul 19, 2013

LouHolland wrote:

Speedster..

Thanks for looking/commenting

Lou

-

Wow that's a nice panning shot. I like it :)...

-- hide signature --

Sri

dave gaines
Like?
Re: Electra
In reply to greyowl750, Jul 19, 2013

What a great perspective. I like the focused reflection in the foregorund contrasted by the OOF wing. Good B&W rendition. Godd leading lines and trussed roof.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
dave gaines
Like?
Re: Rudderless: 20th Century love affair
In reply to Zindanfel, Jul 19, 2013

Great colors! The complimentary red and green really pop. I like the red "boat" blending into the grass, wheels hidden. It is plying the oceans of lost love. Good lyrics to go with the image.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines
Like?
Re: Balrog
In reply to CharlesB58, Jul 19, 2013

"Oh my gosh!" said the wise kitten. "I can't believe he's using that 4/3 format. I thought Olympus was just a ghost in the distant past". words of a wise-alec cat

Those eyes are too funny. What wonderment. It's a beautiful portrait of your furry friend.

-- hide signature --

Dave

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,634Gear list
Like?
In reply to sunisri, Jul 19, 2013

All three very colourful.  Think I would have preferred the first with the leaf falling diagonally across the frame at about the same magnification.  Hard to tell without seeing it though.  Very nice oof backgrounds in the first two.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?

Nicely caught. When I last tried these on slide film I used the bulb setting with a cable release locked open and the lens cap to expose the film Worked very nicely as I recall and I was able to get several different sets on the same exposure using that technique. Not sure if the same is possible now as there is no mechanical cable release that can be locked open.

Anyway, I digress. The display nicely fills your frame and the city lights give it some context.  Don't know if darkening the sky in post can be done without interfering with the rest of the image, but if it can it might improve the end result.

Andrew

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,533
Like?

dave gaines wrote:

Fireworks seen from above on the 4th of July. We climbed a trail to a ridge at around 2000 feet overlooking Pasadena and the Rose Bowl, about 1500 feet below us and 2 to 3 miles away. The Rose Bowl press box can be seen in the lower left. E-5 with 50-200 mm and EC-14 at 283 mm, ISO 100, f/5.6, 4 seconds. In-camera noise reduction. On a tripod with cable release and no shutter delay. Timing the shots for a burst of light is mostly luck but using mirror lock up made it very difficult to catch a fireworks burst.

Points of Light over the Rose Bowl

-- hide signature --

Dave

I like fireworks photos -- surrogates for expression of feelings and beliefs which can be a little larger than one's vocabulary.

In this shot, the treeline and arena add useful reference scale. A darker sky would be welcome to my eye. Also, the atmosphere seems to have a golden cast, and this tends to diminish contrast with the orange/gold-toned parts of the fireworks. Maybe it's caused by smoke catching the fireworks' light?

I usually shoot fireworks in the Fireworks scene mode if the camera has it, and mount the camera on a monopod so that I can wiggle it slightly during exposure, because I think squiggly light-trails often add interest to fireworks shots.  Also, later review of an evening's exposures offers surprises; many are pleasant.

-- hide signature --

Zin

greyowl750
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
Re: Electra
In reply to greyowl750, Jul 20, 2013

greyowl750 wrote: Thanks all, I was looking for extreme angles and new ways to present these old aircraft, some way to really show their beauty an a way that hankered back to old bw films..I wanted it to be graphic, and gripping..as though this wing was made of muscle.

the 14-54 mk1 is a fine instrument indeed!!

greyowl750's gear list:greyowl750's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D7100 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
19andrew47
Like?
Re: Painted Face
In reply to Zindanfel, Jul 20, 2013

Thanks for commenting Zin.  I had taken other images that evening from somewhat different angles, but different people involved as well.  I have another of face painting that I was actually looking for when I came upon this one.  Maybe for next week's thread.

Andrew

CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,876
Like?
In reply to dave gaines, Jul 20, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

"Oh my gosh!" said the wise kitten. "I can't believe he's using that 4/3 format. I thought Olympus was just a ghost in the distant past". words of a wise-alec cat

Those eyes are too funny. What wonderment. It's a beautiful portrait of your furry friend.

-- hide signature --

Dave

I had quickly grabbed my camera while he was sitting on the bed. Those eyes are watching the neck strap dangling in front of my chest LOL. This was one of only 2 shots I managed to get before he went to find something to play with.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,829
Like?
In reply to CharlesB58, Jul 20, 2013

CharlesB58 wrote:

dave gaines wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dave

I had quickly grabbed my camera while he was sitting on the bed. Those eyes are watching the neck strap dangling in front of my chest LOL. This was one of only 2 shots I managed to get before he went to find something to play with.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Charles, your zenfolio site is GREAT!    The prices for your prints are reasonable also, and that is refreshing for a change.    Have you generated any sales?   You should!

-- hide signature --
dave gaines
Like?
In reply to Zindanfel, Jul 20, 2013

Thanks for commenting Zin. I may have overexposed the shots by 1/2 a stop. That's why the firework centers are blown and the sky is not black. I increased the blacks and lifted the highlights in PS post as much as I could. On a couple of them I decreased the exposure slider in ACR by 1/2 stop. I wish I had stopped down a bit for better exposure and more DOF.

Yes, that's smoke in the sky from the fireworks. It shows in all of the photos and can't be removed. It was drifting downwind, up the Arroyo Seco. I posterized 2 of them which turned it into contrasting colors. We could see fireworks displays all over the San Gabriel Valley. Visibility was about 10 miles. As the night progressed the smoke increased and visibility dropped. It's amazing how much smoke it generates. Makes you wonder what's in the smoke?

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines
Like?
In reply to 19andrew47, Jul 20, 2013

Hi Andrew. Thanks for commenting. Yes there is a cable release and bulb setting for the E-3 and E-5. Some of the other e-series use a different cable and some don't have a cable option but ther is a way to use the IR remote for bulb shots. Also I think you can take multiple exposures with the E-5. I'll have to read the manual on how to do that. I would be leary of using the lens cap due to camera movement on the tripod with the 50-200. There might be an easy way to rig a lens cover that uses a black cloth or something over the lens hood. Now I want to give your idea a try.

As I said to Zin, I may have overexposed the shots by 1/2 a stop. That's why the firework centers are blown and the sky is not black. I increased the blacks and lifted the highlights in PS as much as I could. On a couple of them I decreased the exposure slider in ACR by 1/2 stop. I wish I had stopped down a bit for better exposure and more DOF.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines
Like?
In reply to stephent, Jul 20, 2013

stephent wrote:

Hi mate, well worth the effort to achieve the different view. Great colours, the black areas could be a little stronger on my screen. Really like the two lower bursts of fireworks they balance the image.

Regards.

Stephen.

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you liked them. My wife and good friend Jim thought it was a lot of work getting up there. We really broke a sweat climbing 500 feet or so. My wife was bored for a while. a family with kids was there and the little ones were ancy and ready to go home. When the big show at the Rose Bowl started they were all impressed and had a good time. We took an easier but longer, wide paved road out and back down in the dark.

As I said to Zin, I may have overexposed the shots by 1/2 a stop. That's why the firework centers are blown and the sky is not black. I increased the blacks in ACR and lifted the highlights in PS as much as I could. On a couple of them I decreased the exposure slider in ACR by 1/2 stop. I wish I had stopped down a bit for better exposure and more DOF. Next time...

-- hide signature --

Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads