* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 273, 13 07 17 *

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions
stephent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,225
Like?
Re: Speedster..
In reply to LouHolland, Jul 18, 2013

Hi mate, I love it, there is just enough shape and form left of the boat, that after a minute it appears out of the motion blur. Did it take many attempts?

Regards.

Stephen.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stephent
Like?
Re: Evil?
In reply to kallmalm, Jul 18, 2013

Hi mate, he does look like he is thinking along those lines, or he remembers that bone you took of him.

If that was the case, pure evil.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Electra
In reply to greyowl750, Jul 18, 2013

Hi mate, a boys own photo, love all the metal work and the polished parts as well. An interesting choice itwith the framing makes much more than an aircraft photo.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Rudderless: 20th Century love affair
In reply to Zindanfel, Jul 18, 2013

Hi mate, nice image and a well chosen verse to match. I like the left of centre framing, with less space in front of the car suggesting  that its best days are behind it.

Regards.

Stephen.

kallmalm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,321Gear list
Like?
Well said Stephen
In reply to stephent, Jul 18, 2013

stephent wrote:

Hi mate, nice image and a well chosen verse to match. I like the left of centre framing, with less space in front of the car suggesting that its best days are behind it.

Regards.

Stephen.

I agree with this.

-- hide signature --

/Daniel

kallmalm's gear list:kallmalm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Olympus E-1
kallmalm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,321Gear list
Like?
In reply to LouHolland, Jul 18, 2013

LouHolland wrote:

Wow Daniel, Evil it is and a very likeable shot, but tell me why not a portrait format whit his legs with the picture and giving the head a bit more shadow adjustment so the white of her left eye got more visible as that will strenghen his attitude. Love it.

Lou

-

Hey Lou

That is what I got in terms of format, it is a frozen moment in a sequence of him moving fairly quickly towards me (which is surprisingly difficult to see by looking at the photo). That is why it is in that format as there was no time to compose differently at this time and I know I cut the legs slightly which is a bit of a shame but animals move and does not follow the same logic as we do at all times.... I was also thinking of lightening the shadows slightly but I kind of liked how that shadow adding to this feel of evil.

This was the end of said sequence:

kallmalm wrote:

Dennis looks a bit evil in that pose when he is that wet.

I am a wolf!

-- hide signature --

/Daniel

-- hide signature --

/Daniel

kallmalm's gear list:kallmalm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Olympus E-1
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,054
Like?
Saying hello from SF
In reply to 19andrew47, Jul 18, 2013

Hi guys,
Just saying hello from SF and I will be back in Belgium next week (probably not in time though for the Wed c&c.
I'll look through your work after my return, but not now: c&c based on Iphone viewing is not really ideal.
--
Roel Hendrickx

lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 11,671Gear list
Like?
Thane
In reply to OlyChamp, Jul 18, 2013

Colours can be lightened or darkened in LR in b&w mode by use of the colour sliders, both luminence and saturation.  By moving the slider for the colour you wish to change it can go either up or down.  It is quite useful at times to change the emphasis in an image or add drama to a blue sky.  If the software you use has colour sliders for individual hues that works in either colour or mono mode, then you should be able to do this as well.

I still prefer the monochrome image myself, while the colour has immediate impact, the bright colour is dominant.  Anyway, this was just a quick job to get an image up and I didn't spend much time on it.  Perhaps it deserves more but in reality it is not a great image for me.

Andrew

tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,463Gear list
Like?
Re: I like the geometry in this photo

Very nicely composed and nicely contrasty.

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,463Gear list
Like?
Re: Before I read that comment
In reply to stephent, Jul 18, 2013

My first thought was to suggest cropping a bit of the foreground away.  Then the comment changed the photo......

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
19andrew47
Like?

Not to put words in anyone else's mouth, but I suspect Lou meant to crop it to a portrait format removing some of the grass on either side as opposed to actually taking it in portrait position at the time of exposure, since that has long since passed.

As to the evil look, it is certainly there.  I believe earlier you mentioned Dennis was a police dog?  If so this would run against character 

Andrew

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,166
Like?
Re: Electra

greyowl750 wrote:

the 14-54 mk1 is a fine instrument indeed!!

The picture evokes Man-flight as more like that of a bug than of a bird, i.e., with power and structure encapsulated in a glossy exoskeleton. Roof trusses are a nice echo of the plane's interior frame.

If an insect analogy were intended as theme, closer crops on sides and bottom combined with having near rivets sharp in the DOF would help carry the idea. If not, the photo is an eye magnet regardless.

Most anyone who drives an automobile could feel in tune with this machine in a way that would never occur to them relative to a modern jetliner.

-- hide signature --

Zin

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Rudderless: 20th Century love affair
In reply to Zindanfel, Jul 18, 2013

Nice nostalgic image coupled with a fitting poem.  Not certain but looks like a 1962 Buick Skylark.  Automobiles were certainly the 20th century love affair for North Americans and perhaps others.  In the fifties and sixties they defined who we were and to this day for many still do.

Looks like it could have been driven in there recently, but probably not.  Seems strange to see in that sea of green floating without direction or purpose.

Andrew

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,166
Like?
See no evil

kallmalm wrote:

Dennis looks a bit evil in that pose when he is that wet.

I am a wolf!

-- hide signature --

/Daniel

On first look I didn't pick up on an "evil" vibe, and still don't. If the animal were standing (which I originally thought), I saw him as looking subservient to whoever is in front of him -- acting humble in the pecking order, so to speak.

Now in hindsight I know that the dog was running, the look seems wholly normal; human sprinters and runners also can have unusual facial expressions when snapped in motion.

The foliage is pleasing contrast to the dog in color and texture; imo no crop is needed.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Fixxxer
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?

I actually think he looks more like a bull on this one than a wolf. Here he's scratching the left foot against the ground before beginning his attack and the ears kind of like bulls hors - pointing straight up. Then he comes running at you and you just gracefully dance with your red cloth around him

I am a wolf!

-- hide signature --

/Daniel

Fixxxer's gear list:Fixxxer's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Olympus E-1 Pentax K100D Olympus E-620 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,536
Like?
Balrog
In reply to 19andrew47, Jul 19, 2013

I'm not above posting cat photos...

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Balrog
In reply to CharlesB58, Jul 19, 2013

Not so much a cat as a kitten! Cute blue eyes and inquisitive pose.  I'm not exactly sure, but does it have white on the bottom of the rear legs or is that a shadow or indentation in the surface upon which it stands?  Think it would look a little better with a more even white background as there seems to be some variation in tone.  I have no idea how to achieve that after the fact but for me it would improve the image.

Andrew

sunisri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,253
Like?
Random clicks from today.

Random clicks from today. The pics were taken with E-30 + ZD 50-200mm Mk1 + EC-14. Increased the saturation levels a bit to get the pop art filter effect.

-- hide signature --

Sri

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,132Gear list
Like?
Points of Light

Fireworks seen from above on the 4th of July. We climbed a trail to a ridge at around 2000 feet overlooking Pasadena and the Rose Bowl, about 1500 feet below us and 2 to 3 miles away. The Rose Bowl press box can be seen in the lower left. E-5 with 50-200 mm and EC-14 at 283 mm, ISO 100, f/5.6, 4 seconds. In-camera noise reduction. On a tripod with cable release and no shutter delay. Timing the shots for a burst of light is mostly luck but using mirror lock up made it very difficult to catch a fireworks burst.

Points of Light over the Rose Bowl

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
stephent
Like?
Re: Balrog
In reply to CharlesB58, Jul 19, 2013

Hi mate, cute cat, the focus on the eyes makes this one.

Regards.

Stephen.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads